PDA

View Full Version : Party - Pot Limit vs. No Limit

chrisg
09-06-2005, 05:44 PM
Have tried some Party PL tables recently out of curiosity. I seem to do better on these than at the NL tables.

Would be interested to know which you guys prefer and why.

IggyWH
09-06-2005, 06:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Have tried some Party PL tables recently out of curiosity. I seem to do better on these than at the NL tables.

Would be interested to know which you guys prefer and why.

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to play the PL games months ago because my NL preflop game was weak. PL controlled the betting preflop for me until I learned how to do that myself.

I now just stick to NL. There's just so many fish out there that think NL is a game of big bets that I just hate when the pot gets in the way of them making idiotic plays.

MyMindIsGoing
09-07-2005, 11:28 AM
It would be intresting to hear more about how you adjusted your game going from PL to NL. I am playing 0.25/0.50 PL and 0.5/1.0 PL (not always even one table going) on prima but want to move to NL so atleast I will always find a game I want to play.

IggyWH
09-10-2005, 01:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It would be intresting to hear more about how you adjusted your game going from PL to NL. I am playing 0.25/0.50 PL and 0.5/1.0 PL (not always even one table going) on prima but want to move to NL so atleast I will always find a game I want to play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry big guy, I forgot about this thread. I'll try to explain myself but it might not make any sense to anyone else except me :

When I first started playing poker over a year ago (damn, I can't believe it's really been that long), I started by playing .25/.50 NL. I got my butt kicked early but eventually got better as I understood how to play better. One thing I could never really get a grasp of was how to handle preflop action when betting got higher than about 4*BB. So if someone would raise $2 preflop, I'd be lost how to play my hand, and even more lost if it was then reraised before it got to me. Then even worse for me was someone who would raise $4 first in or something like that.

I later switched to PL because it controlled preflop to some extent. If I remember correctly, first in could only raise to $1.75. I could handle that much preflop. It wasn't until I developed my preflop game a lot better did I decide to switch to NL.

I now read people a lot better, I now understand the value of my hand better. I understand how to win hands after the flop even if I don't flop anything. This all led me to not be scared of preflop betting getting too "crazy".

Now if someone wants to raise 6*BB preflop, where before I would fold without thinking, there's now a lot of thinking and I'm not scared to call or even raise if I feel it's the correct move.

primetime32
09-10-2005, 01:31 PM
i have joined a PL table my accident a couple of times. I dont particularly care for it as the players that opt to play PL tend to be a little better, at least in my small sample size.

09-10-2005, 02:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i have joined a PL table my accident a couple of times. I dont particularly care for it as the players that opt to play PL tend to be a little better, at least in my small sample size.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree the players seem better ..pot limit is a much harder game to master than no limit imo.. I stick to mostly 6MAX NL and some Full NL. I ocassionally play in very good PL Full games.

Dbldaggers
09-10-2005, 03:17 PM
Personally I prefer no limit. It is easier to make the pot odds incorrect for someone to call a draw in no limit. People will call anyway and in the long run you make them pay for improper play. Pot limit restricts this option. It is a whole different animal and takes time to learn.

DD

mosquito
09-10-2005, 04:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Personally I prefer no limit. It is easier to make the pot odds incorrect for someone to call a draw in no limit. People will call anyway and in the long run you make them pay for improper play. Pot limit restricts this option. It is a whole different animal and takes time to learn.

DD

[/ QUOTE ]

It's uncommon to find a hand that requires more than
a pot-sized bet to make it incorrect to draw. Most of
the NL25 players tend to overbet, which is as costly
as underbetting. But the skill level at 25 is so low
that you never really notice.

dibbs
09-10-2005, 05:43 PM
I've played a fair amount of PLH live but more NL and a very small sample of PLH online and a huge amount of NL.

I prefer NL because I can push on the pots preflop and play around a little more on later streets.

I only play PL now when a fish Im chasing is throwing a massive party, or I click on one by accident and don't realize it til I get told I can only make it .85.

I have noticed that it seems a lot of the best pot averages on there are often PL however, in my small experience the play was pretty similar.

IggyWH
09-10-2005, 06:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
the play was pretty similar.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, and the reason I prefer NL now over PL is if the morons are going to chase, it doesn't matter if it's a pot bet, 2*pot bet, all-in, whatever.

So if they're going to be morons and chase to bad odds, I want to make them pay the max for their mistakes. PL sort of babies them in the fact that while they can make a bad move, PL limits the severity of how bad their move really is.