PDA

View Full Version : Free Card? Help!

02-05-2002, 02:20 PM
I can't seem to find out what it means to get a "free card", if anybody can help me with this it would be appreciated.

02-05-2002, 03:13 PM
Misfit,

Pick up Sklanskys Theory of Poker and read the chapter on "Free Cards". In reality you are getting a card cheap.

This is a description of a "free card". When you raise on one round of play to have every player check to you on the next round, you are getting a free card.

Example, On the flop UTG bets, you raise from late position and get callers. Usually every player will check to you on the turn. You now saw that card for "free". You really didnt get a free card, because you raised on the previous round of play.

I hope that helps.

Best Wishes

MK

02-05-2002, 03:18 PM
yes, that's one way to get a free card. but technically a free card is nothing but a card received after no one has bet.

if you are first to act and you check and everyone checks behind you, you are getting the next card for free.

02-05-2002, 04:41 PM
You raise your draw on the flop in order to be checked to on the turn. Now if you like the turn card you can go ahead and bet out when they check to you. If you don't like the turn card you can check behind everbody, giving you a "free" card. In a $3/$6 game it would be like seeing the $6 turn card for $3. To make this play you must be in late position, and the texture of the game should be taken into account. Against a passive lineup it should work well, but against a table full of maniacs you can forget about it.