PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone actually cut themselves shaving?

Alobar
09-06-2005, 05:07 PM
So im watching this really bad commercial for an electric razor and one of their marketing points is that you dont have to "Deal with those annoying nicks and scratches!!" and then they cut to this guy whos shaving in front of the mirror and he likes spasms in pain as he supposedly cut himself. Then they cut to this guy standing in an elevator and hes got a couple of those little torn pieces of toilet paper stuck to the blood on his face, and the people next to him are looking at him like hes the monkey from outbreak.

uhm, yeah, i've NEVER cut my face shaving, have NEVER dapped a little toilet paper square on my face or anything like that.

Do I posses some super talent for shaving, or is this just something that never happens with todays razors, but lives on forever in bad TV?

WackityWhiz
09-06-2005, 05:08 PM
I use a mach 3 on my ball sac w/ no shaving cream

Homer
09-06-2005, 05:09 PM
I have never heard of someone who hasn't cut himself shaving at least once...until now.

Jman28
09-06-2005, 05:09 PM
I cut myself shaving like, 1 out of every 5 times. I suck at it.

stabn
09-06-2005, 05:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I use a mach 3 on my ball sac w/ no shaving cream

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes but your ball sac is artificial.

stabn
[ QUOTE ]
I have never heard of someone who hasn't cut himself shaving at least once...until now.

[/ QUOTE ]

mslif
I wish I had your abilities /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Dex
09-06-2005, 05:11 PM
Not my face.

kipin
09-06-2005, 05:12 PM
When I first started shaving, cutting myself wasn't very uncommon, now I am pretty much a pro and don't cut myself.

The worst cut I ever got while shaving is this (can anyone top it): I had just gotten out of the shower, getting ready for class and my dog who was sleeping, suddenly awakens and starts barking. It startled the [censored] out of me and I jerked my hand and it made this nice cut on my neck. The damn cut wouldn't stop bleeding for about 45 minutes.

kerssens
09-06-2005, 05:12 PM
last time I shaved I cut my finger. I wasn't shaving my finger.

mslif
09-06-2005, 05:14 PM
Your avatar really scares me /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Deftoner
09-06-2005, 05:15 PM
I've only cut myself twice shaving, both times I had been drinking..go figure.

Soul Daddy
09-06-2005, 05:17 PM
I've been known to leave the occasional gusher somewhere on my face. And there's a spot on the back of my head that I cut at least 1/3 of the time.

SL__72
09-06-2005, 05:17 PM
I was just trying to see if I could block it like when playing certain games online.

trying2learn
09-06-2005, 05:19 PM
I cut myself once in awhile, usually between my upper lip and my nose...when I do cut myself...it bleeds like a mother[censored], but doesn't really hurt.

jason_t
09-06-2005, 05:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think most of that photo is due to the lighting, not the subject.

kipin
09-06-2005, 05:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You gotta rep the woman that birthed you.

'NA MEAN?

Los Feliz Slim
09-06-2005, 05:21 PM
I cut myself with my electric razor. I don't know how, but I do.

I suck at shaving.

Alobar
09-06-2005, 05:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So basically then, I do have some supernatural shaving talent.

This sucks, why couldnt my big talent in life be basketball or [censored]?

mslif
09-06-2005, 05:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you really think the lighting is the problem here?

Victor
09-06-2005, 05:26 PM
i cut myself about 1 out of 20 times or so.

touchfaith
09-06-2005, 05:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes...It exists. Definately an opportunity for night photography with no flash. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

kerssens
09-06-2005, 05:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

so mean...

mslif
09-06-2005, 05:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

so mean...

[/ QUOTE ]

I did not intend to be mean... Sorry /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Cancer Merchant
09-06-2005, 05:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's hard to cut yourself with an electric shaver. There's this really sharp small knife called a razor; it causes those of us who use it some problems.

Alobar
09-06-2005, 05:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's hard to cut yourself with an electric shaver. There's this really sharp small knife called a razor; it causes those of us who use it some problems.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont use an electic shaver.

Brain
09-06-2005, 05:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You also turned your ankle baking a pie last night so I'm not putting too much stock into your physical abilities. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

kerssens
09-06-2005, 05:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You also turned your ankle baking a pie last night so I'm not putting too much stock into your physical abilities. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I ran myself over with a car once too. yeah, I'm an idiot.

Brain
I've cut myself a few times. I bleed like a stuck pig, but other than that, no big deal.

Slacker13
[ QUOTE ]
i've NEVER cut my face shaving

[/ QUOTE ]
I cut myself at least once a week.

[ QUOTE ]
Do I posses some super talent for shaving

[/ QUOTE ]
You must.

Dex
[ QUOTE ]
I've been known to leave the occasional gusher somewhere on my face.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just had this post on my screen, switched to another window, came back to this window later, and read this post out of context. Beverage spray almost occurred.

Luzion
09-06-2005, 05:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

B Dids
09-06-2005, 05:45 PM
I never cut myself if I'm using a non-old mach3 or new issue razor. Try using some ghetto disposable and it's a LOT worse.

I tried to cut 4 days worth of growth with a worn out razor the other day and basically raped my face, that was nice.

MarkL444
09-06-2005, 05:51 PM
electric baby

IndieMatty
09-06-2005, 05:52 PM
I have a blood on my collar of my shirt from an incident this morning. I need to switch to electric at some point.

Reef
09-06-2005, 05:56 PM
rarely cut myself

I haven't used shaving cream since high school .. so, I don't use it now either

Stuey
09-06-2005, 05:58 PM
Does anyone use a straight razor?

I am seriously thinking of trying one but can only imagine how bad a cut with this method could be! However the fact that you always have a sharp blade and never need to buy replacements makes it sound worth the effort.

I only cut myself about once a month and it is normally due to dull blades, or not taking a shower first.

SomethingClever
09-06-2005, 06:04 PM
Only time I cut myself badly when shaving I was like 13. Barely had a little peach fuzz so I decided to shave it off.

I used one of those crappy disposable razors and shaved up against the grain on my lip /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

That bled for a while.

bravos1
09-06-2005, 06:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I ran myself over with a car once too. yeah, I'm an idiot.

[/ QUOTE ]

All I can say is... PURE TALENT!

Michael Davis
09-06-2005, 06:18 PM
I put a giant slice in my scrotum yesterday.

-Michael

Blarg
09-06-2005, 06:23 PM
I cut myself once in a rare while, but it happens. I've cut myself when a car backfires outside really loud, and other times it's either when I'm going too fast or when the blade is dull.

Both tend to get me pushing up more face into the blade than the blade can handle or is sharp enough to handle. The skin gets pushed up together and a nasty cut happens.

It also happens when I've got a zit, sometimes even a really tiny one. Nicking off the top of a zit can let loose a lot of blood.

That's the thing about shaving, even a little nick can let out an amazing amount of blood.

Hal 2000
09-06-2005, 06:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
uhm, yeah, i've NEVER cut my face shaving, have NEVER dapped a little toilet paper square on my face or anything like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Congratulations! You just put the horns on yourself, and are sure to do it in the next few weeks. A tip: Don't take the TP off the cut too soon; as we've heard these things bleed longer than most other cuts.

touchfaith
09-06-2005, 06:29 PM
I don't use disposables since they are basically like shaving with a semi-sharp rusty knife, but I once cut my lip and that has got to be the worst [censored] thing ever.

Blarg
09-06-2005, 06:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I never cut myself if I'm using a non-old mach3 or new issue razor. Try using some ghetto disposable and it's a LOT worse.

I tried to cut 4 days worth of growth with a worn out razor the other day and basically raped my face, that was nice.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL yup that's basically the high-level program professionals recommend for butchering the hell out of your own face.

WEASEL45
09-06-2005, 07:42 PM
I use a mach 3 and ive never cut myself shaving

PITTM
09-06-2005, 07:44 PM
all the time...do you guys ALL use electrics or something? whenever i dont use the newest mach 3 blades i cut the bejesus out of myself.

rj

Voltron87
09-06-2005, 07:49 PM
ive cut myself a couple times. once on the ear, but it wasnt bad at all.

the worst part of shaving for me is shaving my chin. that hair is always stiff like a motherfucker. i can never get it smooth and it hurts to do. as opposed to the sides of my jaw, etc. i use a mach 3.

pokerjoker
09-06-2005, 08:06 PM
dude i cut myself all the time. I thought i was in the majority.

CardSharpCook
09-06-2005, 08:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How the hell is this possible? Do you always go with the grain? Maybe that is it. I like a close shave against the grain sometimes. I often cut myself along the upper lip or the chin line. I really can't believe people are out there not cutting themselves. It must be a grain thing.

BigBaitsim (milo)
09-06-2005, 08:30 PM
You're just running good. There is a tremendous amount of variance involved in cutting vs. not cutting. I think once your sample size is sufficient, you will find that you cut yourself maybe once per hundred. Really bad shavers run as high as 3C/100. I had a run of like 2000 shaves where I ran really bad, with a rate of like 5C/100.

BottlesOf
09-06-2005, 08:36 PM
Worst post since the Zoolander one. I think you're way better at HUSH than OOT. I mean how have you never cut yourself?

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

KramerTM
09-06-2005, 08:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

jesusarenque
09-06-2005, 10:16 PM
I cut themselves shaving once. They werent happy.

Alobar
09-06-2005, 10:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Worst post since the Zoolander one. I think you're way better at HUSH than OOT. I mean how have you never cut yourself?

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

maybe I should start coaching shaving too /images/graemlins/smile.gif

spamuell
09-06-2005, 10:28 PM
I've used an electric shaver for like 6 years, since I started shaving until last week when I just decided that a shitty shave didn't cut it anymore (no pun intended, i can't be bothered to change it).

I bought some random disposable razor and I cut the [censored] out of the top of my lip and cut my chin slightly the first time. I'm still never going back, the shave was so much closer. Since the first time, I haven't cut myself, but not having a job or school at the moment, it's not like I've been shaving most days.

Blarg
09-07-2005, 12:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How the hell is this possible? Do you always go with the grain? Maybe that is it. I like a close shave against the grain sometimes. I often cut myself along the upper lip or the chin line. I really can't believe people are out there not cutting themselves. It must be a grain thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that's it.

Impatience is a big cutter. When I get stupid or am late for something, I just try to ram and jam a shave through as quickly as possible, and wind up getting cut. I know I have to to a final polish so to speak by going against the grain, so I start off that way or do it too quickly. ZING! OUCH! cut

When I'm being less stupid, I do a few strokes sideways. It does better than going with the grain, but doesn't tug on your skin and pull it into line for slicing like going against the grain does. Going against the grain I save for when most of the shaving has already been done, and I'm just polishing off that last bit of roughness. If the hair is already really short and close to the skin that way, it won't pull the flesh out of line and get it caught up in the blade(s).

So, that's my shaving plan. A little bit with the grain, almost all across the grain, and only the last "polish" against the grain. Very little opportunity to get cut this way unless you're spectacularly clumsy or your blade is VERY dull.

Wetdog
09-07-2005, 01:10 AM
I use the plain ole bics. After 40 years, I think I have this shaving thing down.

I had an electric that I had used for 3 years. It was a good shave that I could do while I was watching the news and drinking my coffee. Pieceofshit's battery went south and, of course, you can't get a relacemenet battery but for $150 you can buy a new shaver that will ...

I haven't shaved my upper lip since 1972. No razor cuts under the proboscus for me.

I sliced myself good once with a "safety razor" that used "blue blades." My girlfriend du jour asked what I did to the last gf to get my face scratched like that. I asked if she wanted to find out. She did. She didn't scratch.

The Yugoslavian
09-07-2005, 01:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I cut myself shaving like, 1 out of every 5 times. I suck at it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Word.

Lock it up, yo.

Nice.

Yugoslav

Blarg
09-07-2005, 01:59 AM
The batteries are the killer and what make so many shavers a huge rip-off. Norelco's I've had go bad on me in as little as a month or two. The Panasonics last much longer. Best is if you can get one of the few shavers with off the shelf, regular batteries instead of the stupid custom ones that mean you have to throw away the shaver when the battery dies or go through some huge hassle and pay a bunch of bucks.

That's the scummy trick with lots of things, though -- phones, cameras, CD players, DVD players, etc. Half the money is in overcharging for extra batteries, battery packs, or just from having the item wear out incredibly soon to force you to buy a new one.

ClaytonN
09-07-2005, 02:13 AM
this morning i did. first time in like forever

TheBlueMonster
09-07-2005, 02:22 AM
I've actually cut myself with an electric razor.

I also have to wear a helmet to play golf.

djj6835
09-07-2005, 02:37 AM
I've never not cut myself shaving. I cut myself in the same spot on my neck every time. It doesn't matter how careful I am I always make a small scratch in the exact same spot.

Escape
09-07-2005, 03:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I've never not cut myself shaving. I cut myself in the same spot on my neck every time. It doesn't matter how careful I am I always make a small scratch in the exact same spot.

[/ QUOTE ]
Same here /images/graemlins/mad.gif....and I shave rarely. I'm not as hairy as the most of you, thankfully.

Jack of Arcades
09-07-2005, 03:14 AM
I cut my ear a couple times shaving my head.

Freakin
09-07-2005, 09:43 AM
Toilet paper is for noobs... real mean use styptic pencils.

Freakin

gobboboy
09-07-2005, 11:43 AM
I am 18 and a half years old and I have never had to shave. There is not one whisker on my chin.

Eat it.

codewarrior
09-07-2005, 11:44 AM
I use the vibrating one.

spamuell
09-07-2005, 11:47 AM
I am 18 and a half years old and I have never had to shave. There is not one whisker on my chin.

a) No one has whiskers on their chin. That doesn't even make sense.

b) [Comment about lack of facial hair suggesting lack of other hair and therefore lack of success with women.]

JDErickson
09-07-2005, 11:48 AM
A couple tips from a hairy dude.

Get soft water. Makes the skin smoother and less likely to nick.

Use the best shaving cream and rub it in well.

Use a fresh razor. Dull blades mick more easily.

Styptic Pencil is definately +ev

WEASEL45
09-07-2005, 01:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
i always shave against the grain

jakethebake
09-07-2005, 02:42 PM
yes

Slow Play Ray
09-07-2005, 02:43 PM
It seems like I cut myself at least once a week. I always rush. I suck.

Brainwalter
09-07-2005, 02:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]

a) No one has whiskers on their chin. That doesn't even make sense.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure they do.

Huhmare
09-07-2005, 04:05 PM
First times were real pain in the ass.. I mean shaving my ass hair /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

TRBNGR
09-07-2005, 04:45 PM
The fact that I find your post pretty damned funny is actually more than a little worrisome.

battschr
09-08-2005, 11:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I cut themselves shaving once. They werent happy.

[/ QUOTE ]
I herd that you did. Cut there face. I herd they wasn't happy to.

gabbahh
09-09-2005, 09:23 AM
Given my history with anything sharp (including sheets of paper) I would probably insta-die when holding a razor blade.

dabluebery
09-09-2005, 09:41 AM
I cut myself every once and a while, usually from not paying attention and making a sideways slice, it sucks.

One time, I think I was shaving while eating dinner or changing the oil in my car, I cut sideways on my sideburn area using a mach 3, and I got 3 distinct slices in my face all bunched up together, like the Mach 3 blades. It looked awful, I was proud of that one.

You've gotta be really bad to do that. Or just not pay attention at all. I made my wife go out and by a styptic pencil because it didn't stop bleeding for like 2 hours with pressure.