PDA

View Full Version : google earth

GrannyMae
09-06-2005, 04:24 PM
http://kh.google.com/download/earth/index.html

i have been using this to try and find some property of mine and someone else in MS.

very cool program. if you download it, simply put your home addy in the search box in upper left corner and the satellite will take you from outer space to your driveway.

you can see what you are grilling on your bar-b-que or if your wife's BF's car is in the lot.

Yeti
09-06-2005, 04:25 PM
There were a bunch of threads on this a few months ago.

Patrick del Poker Grande
09-06-2005, 04:26 PM
Holy [censored]
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v638/pwarcham/capt.jpg

touchfaith
09-06-2005, 04:28 PM
I love it! I think I spent a full two days looking at golf courses when I first downloaded it. I've since moved on to find my fishing/hiking spots and incredibly enough, a few of them (in the Sierras) where actually in the hi-res sections. So awesome to see a rock you have fished off from on that thing...

Insane.

jakethebake
09-06-2005, 04:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
There were a bunch of threads on this many many months ago.

[/ QUOTE ]

touchfaith
09-06-2005, 04:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So go find one and read it. We are discussing it again.

Do you get charged for data storage here?

jakethebake
09-06-2005, 04:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Good god, you're an idiot. ThinMan will now host a one-man Google Earth discussion.

gulebjorn
09-06-2005, 04:37 PM
Damnit, you not only beat me to it by six minutes, I didn't even notice this thread.

Well, at least I posted a picture in mine (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=3333679&page=0&view=colla psed&sb=5&o=14&fpart=1#Post3333752) . Meh.

RacersEdge
09-06-2005, 04:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I don't get the was some people are so hyper with a subject coming up more than once. It's silly to find an old thread and respond in there months later.

LBJ
09-06-2005, 04:38 PM
GM, I don't think Google Earth is very live. If you can find something that says how often it is updated, or if anyone can, it would be appreicated. I don't think it is a very recent picture of the Earth/your home.

PITTM
09-06-2005, 04:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]

you can see what you are grilling on your bar-b-que or if your wife's BF's car is in the lot.

[/ QUOTE ]

im pretty sure this isnt in real time, considering when evan and brighten moved here their house was a big dirt field according to google earth.

rj

touchfaith
09-06-2005, 04:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
GM, I don't think Google Earth is very live. If you can find something that says how often it is updated, or if anyone can, it would be appreicated. I don't think it is a very recent picture of the Earth/your home.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been looking for this info too. I know that when I first dl'd it about 2 months ago, my local course looked like a dog track, brown everywhere. The shot had to be taken towards the end of summer.

But now, It's green and looks like an actual course. I'd love to know their update schedule.

bwana devil
09-06-2005, 04:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

im pretty sure this isnt in real time, considering when evan and brighten moved here their house was a big dirt field according to google earth.

rj

[/ QUOTE ]

from google earth site:

September 6, 2005 - Hurricane Katrina imagery starting to be made available - click here

PITTM
09-06-2005, 04:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

rj

[/ QUOTE ]

yep, the apartments were finished in august of last year. google earth still shows it being a construction site. i assume certain areas of the country are updated more than others.

rj

edtost
09-06-2005, 04:48 PM
i think i read somewhere that th pictures they use are updated on a rolling basis, and a no more than 3 yrs old.

but i could just be making this up....someone should really send up the bison signal.

razor
09-06-2005, 04:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It's silly to find an old thread and respond in there months later.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's also silly to expect all those who have discussed a given topic in a past thread to re-post their thoughts.

Deftoner
09-06-2005, 04:51 PM
Jesus christ your an [censored]. You ever get tired of that stick up your ass?

gulebjorn
09-06-2005, 04:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's also silly to expect all those who have discussed a given topic in a past thread to re-post their thoughts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thoughts? We come to OOT to escape those.

RacersEdge
09-06-2005, 04:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

But this isn't a research forum - a lot of people want a live discussion thread on a certain topic - for information AND fun. This is a dynamic environemnt here - people come and go - half the people from whenever this topic was posted aren't even here anymore.

GrannyMae
09-06-2005, 05:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i missed the threads. sorry

i was given NOAA overlinks for the storm
http://earth.google.com/katrina.html

and found it through there.

sorry to be redundant in OOT. that's got to be rare

ok, let's discuss something new...

does your GF swallow?

Deftoner
09-06-2005, 05:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Who said he expects you to re-post your thoughts, your not obligated to. Im sure some people missed the old thread and are happy to discuss it now.

GrannyMae
09-06-2005, 05:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

this gets realtime

1) Install Google Earth
a) http://kh.google.com/download/earth/index.html
2) Click the NOAA Overlay Link from Google Earth Community BBS
a) Mississippi Coast - http://earth.google.com/katrina.html
b) http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/showthreaded.php/Cat/0/Number/92563/page/3/vc/1
i) Click "Open This Placemark"
ii) Either open file or save to disk and double click.
c) Check the Current Events Board for many more overlays of specific areas.
i) http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/postlist.php/Cat/0/Board/currentEvents/page/0
3) Once overlay is open in Google Earth, Enter your full address in the search field in the upper left corner. That will center the view on your address.

If you can't or don't want to do it that way, here is a shot-cut.

Step 1: Go to Google Maps and enter the address. Click on the button that says "Hybrid" on the upper right. You will get an image with a speech ballon pointing to a thumbtack showing the location of the address on the satellite photo.
[IMPORTANT UPDATE: Bless their hearts, Google Maps has added a "KATRINA" button to New Orleans areas searchs, so they have automated some of the process I descibe here! Yee haw!]

Step 2: Click up and down the vertical ladder-like bar to see the image at various scales until you feel you can find the place on a satellite image.

Step 3: Compare your image to this superimposition of the FEMA flood map on a New Orleans satellite photo, created by the Google Earth Current Events Community. Here is a small version. Click on it for a much bigger picture.

source (http://www.kathryncramer.com/kathryn_cramer/2005/09/how_to_find_out.html)

razor
09-06-2005, 05:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Who said he expects you to re-post your thoughts, your not obligated to. Im sure some people missed the old thread and are happy to discuss it now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course no one is obligated to respond. However, do you really think a poster asking for advice/discussion on a given topic is only asking for advice from those who have never posted on a topic before? No, they are hoping for advice/discussion from anyone who are interested and knowledgeable on the topic. If the topic has already been discussed then at least some of those interested and knowledgeable people will have already posted their thoughts.