PDA

View Full Version : Butt Naked or Buck Naked?

HopeydaFish
09-06-2005, 04:18 PM

-Skeme-
09-06-2005, 04:20 PM
http://my.ohio.voyager.net/~shoemake/pics/sein/image-george.jpg

HopeydaFish
09-06-2005, 04:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
http://my.ohio.voyager.net/~shoemake/pics/sein/image-george.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, exactly! I've always said "Buck"...but I hear "Butt Naked" so much that it made me wonder which one is more common.

Richard Tanner
09-06-2005, 04:23 PM
It should be noted that there is a correct answer to this. It's "Buck Naked", and it's thus due to the slave trade days. (*DISCLAIMER* Slavery was awful) Slaves were sold according to perceived worth (strongest, etc. etc.) and they were usually sold naked, hince those slaves sold for a dollar were called "Buck Naked" in common speech.

Cody

JayLear
09-06-2005, 04:25 PM
Buck Naked or Butt Nekkid, depending on geographical considerations.

Bradyams
09-06-2005, 04:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It should be noted that there is a correct answer to this. It's "Buck Naked", and it's thus due to the slave trade days. (*DISCLAIMER* Slavery was awful) Slaves were sold according to perceived worth (strongest, etc. etc.) and they were usually sold naked, hince those slaves sold for a dollar were called "Buck Naked" in common speech.

Cody

[/ QUOTE ]

Until just now Buck Naked didn't make any sense to me, so I always said butt naked.

jakethebake
09-06-2005, 04:27 PM
You'll have to take our word for it when we say there a few plausible explanations for the term. One theory backed by the American Heritage Dictionary proposes the original phrase was actually "butt naked." The phrase was then cleaned up to "buck naked" so it could be used in polite company. A post on a message board forwards the idea that "buck" in this sense is an adverb meaning "stark" or "completely."

Brit wordsmith Michael Quinon has another theory. He's of the notion that "buck" and "buff," another term to describe nudity, are both derived from buckskin and buffalo hides. He argues that buff leather is tan in color, much like the color of the Europeans' skin after being in the sun. This led to the expression "to be in the buff," or naked. Thomas Dekker was the first to go on record with the term when he said in 1602, "I go in stag, in buff." The assumption is that "buck naked" has a similar derivation from buckskin.

Who's right? We don't know. But the Atlantic Monthly offers a humorous look at the way we describe degrees of nudity.

Linky (http://ask.yahoo.com/20040927.html)

Bluffoon
09-06-2005, 04:31 PM
How about "both" or "either"?

HopeydaFish
[ QUOTE ]

Cody

[/ QUOTE ]

I did some research, and it looks like your explanation isn't generally accepted by linguists. Here's a site that discusses the etymology of the term:

Buck Naked or Butt Naked (http://www.takeourword.com/TOW155/page2.html)

Brainwalter
Butt-ass naked.

HopeydaFish
09-06-2005, 04:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How about "both" or "either"?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that seems to be the answer, actually. It looks like "buck naked" is just a more polite way of saying "butt naked".

Soul Daddy
09-06-2005, 04:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You'll have to take our word for it when we say there a few plausible explanations for the term. One theory backed by the American Heritage Dictionary proposes the original phrase was actually "butt naked." The phrase was then cleaned up to "buck naked" so it could be used in polite company. A post on a message board forwards the idea that "buck" in this sense is an adverb meaning "stark" or "completely."

Brit wordsmith Michael Quinon has another theory. He's of the notion that "buck" and "buff," another term to describe nudity, are both derived from buckskin and buffalo hides. He argues that buff leather is tan in color, much like the color of the Europeans' skin after being in the sun. This led to the expression "to be in the buff," or naked. Thomas Dekker was the first to go on record with the term when he said in 1602, "I go in stag, in buff." The assumption is that "buck naked" has a similar derivation from buckskin.

Who's right? We don't know. But the Atlantic Monthly offers a humorous look at the way we describe degrees of nudity.

Linky (http://ask.yahoo.com/20040927.html)

[/ QUOTE ]
Awesome. You've obviously spent a great deal of time thinking about this.

Shajen
09-06-2005, 04:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Butt-ass naked.

[/ QUOTE ]
Actually, I say Butt-booty-assed naked, so they know exactly what I mean.

peachy
09-06-2005, 05:09 PM
either

samjjones
09-06-2005, 05:24 PM
This thread has inspired me to open the "Should've?" / "Should of" poll that has been gestating in my head for years...

DasLeben
09-06-2005, 05:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This thread has inspired me to open the "Should've?" / "Should of" poll that has been gestating in my head for years...

[/ QUOTE ]

It's "should have." Poll over.

samjjones
09-06-2005, 05:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, I know this, but if I had a dollar for every time somebody wrote "should of" in a correspondence to me, I could retire.

DasLeben
09-06-2005, 05:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, I know this, but if I had a dollar for every time somebody wrote "should of" in a correspondence to me, I could retire.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

ptmusic
09-06-2005, 05:59 PM
Pictures of both (or OOT level semi-see-through equivalents) are necessary to make an accurate call here.

-ptmusic

EliteNinja
09-06-2005, 10:11 PM
Bif Naked

Ogre
09-06-2005, 11:46 PM
buck sounds stupid

lucas9000
09-06-2005, 11:52 PM
i prefer the way bernie mac says it: buckits nekkids.