PDA

View Full Version : iPod your car

unlucky513
09-06-2005, 03:46 PM
does anyone use their iPod in the car? what do you use?

i want a head unit that will hook up to my ipod, is there such a thing? how much will it cost me? right now i'm using the iTrip and it is awful.

kenberman
09-06-2005, 03:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
does anyone use their iPod in the car? what do you use?

i want a head unit that will hook up to my ipod, is there such a thing? how much will it cost me? right now i'm using the iTrip and it is awful.

[/ QUOTE ]

what would this "head unit" do?

I also use itrip, and agree it's awful.

unlucky513
09-06-2005, 03:59 PM
just found this (http://www.alpine-usa.com/driveyouripod/)

watch that video... i think it sells for about $350

i don't know how willing i'll be to purchase a new head unit.. but is there an alternitive to the iTrip? this thing is really pissing me off.

swede123
09-06-2005, 03:59 PM
I like Alpine. They make several adapters that lets you plug in your Ipod into the adapter, which is connected to the head-unit. The unit charges your MP3 player as well as interfaces it with the stereo. One such model is KCA-420i, and retails for about a hundred bucks. I imagine most car stereo makers have similar devices available.

Swede

MaxPower
09-06-2005, 04:07 PM
I use the iRiver wireless FM transmitter. (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00067LYFW/qid=1126036997/sr=8-6/ref=pd_bbs_6/103-7215905-5921465?v=glance&s=electronics&n=507846)

I have heard bad things about the Itrip, but the iRiver works great.

Depending on what kind of car you have, you don't need to buy a new headunit to hook your ipod directly into your car stereo. On the Apple site they have links to companies that make adapters that will work with your factory system.

mmbt0ne
09-06-2005, 04:09 PM
I'm cheap, so I use a tape adapter. One of my friends has an Alpine DVD head unit that can plug into an iPod where the charger does, and can use the head unit to control it. A couple of my other friends put a headphone sized jack in the bottom of their dash, hooked it up to the inputs on the back of their head units and use a male-to-male cord to go from headphone jack of the iPod to input on the dash.

glen
09-06-2005, 04:10 PM
I used to have a discman adapter that is like a cassette tape that plugged into the cd player. I tried it with my ipod and it works fine. I have a friend that had the thing where you turn the radio to a certain station and it picked up the frequency of the ipod, but it sounded like real bad, scratchy radio quality. . .

cbfair
09-06-2005, 04:21 PM
check out the Alpine CDA-9853 and CDA-9855. They retail for 400 and 500 respectively and allow you to control your ipod through the head unit controls. They'll also charge your ipod while you drive. Very cool.