PDA

View Full Version : International Phone Calls

wegs the wegs
09-06-2005, 02:26 PM
My best friend went overseas this semester to study in Seville, Spain. I'm here in Chicago. Emails are fun and all but we both want to talk to each other once in awhile while she's over there. I would like to know what is my cheapest option to talk to her for the next three months, say once every other week or so.

As of right now I have verizon for my cell phone, its my only form of phone service at the moment. Anyone know what they charge for an international call? Im guessing that the best way to go would be through a phone card. Anyone agree?

Any help on this one would be super. Thanks

mslif
09-06-2005, 02:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My best friend went overseas this semester to study in Seville, Spain. I'm here in Chicago. Emails are fun and all but we both want to talk to each other once in awhile while she's over there. I would like to know what is my cheapest option to talk to her for the next three months, say once every other week or so.

As of right now I have verizon for my cell phone, its my only form of phone service at the moment. Anyone know what they charge for an international call? Im guessing that the best way to go would be through a phone card. Anyone agree?

Any help on this one would be super. Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

I use a phone card to call France. Much cheaper than any rate you can get with your cellular phone.

jakethebake
09-06-2005, 02:30 PM
Get VOIP.

scdavis0
09-06-2005, 03:06 PM
Also, she can get a pre-paid SIM card for her cell phone. In the Western European countries that I'm familiar with, you pay nothing to RECEIVE calls on your cell phone.

swede123
09-06-2005, 03:14 PM
Get a phone card. If you have access to Sams club or Costco you can buy some cheap cards there. The one I use is like 3 cents per minute domestic, or 12 cents a minute international. I use this to call Sweden, using my cell phone or office phone or whatever.

Swede

spamuell
09-06-2005, 03:30 PM
Get skype and talk to her free online if you both have a mic and headphones, the quality is pretty good.

Or you could try google talk.

BoogerFace
09-06-2005, 04:17 PM
SkypeOut is around 3 cents a minute to Europe, as well.

swede123
09-06-2005, 04:21 PM
Some of the VoIP services are pretty good these days, but for what you are describing it's more than you need. I imagine your Verizon phone gives you all the domestic long distance you need, so you really don't need VoIP for that part. This leaves you with a few months of talking to your friend, which makes a phone card ideal. If you have minutes left after your friend gets back keep the card in your wallet for emergency stuff.

Swede

peachy
09-06-2005, 05:13 PM
cheapest way for u is thru ur phone co if u can get a deal or on a callin card...cheapest for her is an internet cafe that offers international phone rate deals...tell her to either ask around or check around in different places usually they r pretty competitive with thier prices (at least in the places ive been)