PDA

View Full Version : Bad Laydown?

RyanR
04-23-2003, 07:30 AM
Spread limit $2-$10 game with $1 and $2 blinds. Weak player limps and I raise to $12 with two red queens utg+1. Button calls as does BB and limper - $49 in the pot.

Flop: 8 6 2 rainbow.

Checks to me, I bet $10, BB checkraises to $20, limper calls $20 cold and I just call - pot is $109.

Ok I'm pretty sure this is where I messed up; I probably should've made it three bets, especially with the weak player in the middle of us. However, the BB is pretty passive player and when he checkraised me, it set off the "he flopped a monster" alarm.

Turn: 2 completing the rainbow.

BB bets out, weakie calls, and I raise, with the decision that I can fold if he reraises me and check down the river if he just calls. Weak limper folds, I think for a second and fold.

The BB smiles, shows me his 55 and says something like "I wanted to put a move on you since you always do it to me." I tell him I had AK and say nice hand.

Now that I've written this down and looked things over, the best play to me seems to threebet the flop; if he makes it 4 bets (cap) just call him down and get to the showdown as cheaply as possible and if he just calls to keep firing. I just made a bad read and will realize in the future that this player can be tricky. At least I followed my read for once, that's a good thing.

One more quick question: Assuming I play it the way I did and have a strong read that he's flopped a set is it worth it to call his threebet on the turn to try and catch a queen, folding if I don't hit? I'm getting 17.9 to 1 on my call, add in the 2 bets (at least) I can make on the river if I hit that's 19.9 to 1 on a 21 to 1 shot (discounting his two cards as a flopped set) and the pot will be huge at this point.

Any input is much appreciated, feel free to critique my play on all streets.

Thanks in advance,
RyanR

astroglide
04-23-2003, 12:37 PM
"Turn: 2 completing the rainbow.

BB bets out, weakie calls, and I raise, with the decision that I can fold if he reraises me and check down the river if he just calls. Weak limper folds, I think for a second and fold."

uh, did he reraise you?

RyanR
04-23-2003, 06:10 PM
Oops, sorry about that. Yes, he re-raised me and the limper folded, as did I.

astroglide
04-23-2003, 06:32 PM
i wouldn't have done what you did. he could easily have a smaller overpair or 86s for 2 pair. for the same amount of money you could have seen a showdown. is it worth the possible 1bb to risk the pot?

Rushmore
04-23-2003, 06:41 PM
Yes, you made your mistake on the flop.

He will read you for an unfoldable overpair when you cap, and then would never be able to even try the move on the turn.

One of the big advantages of the modern structure is the cheap street (so set up as to bolster action), but one great benefit of this structure that gets overlooked is that a player can take control more cheaply (as well as drawing more cheaply, the most appealing aspect).

I also feel that getting married to a read like this at a limit table is a mistake after the amount of action up to the point of your fold. I say this because the pot justifies crying calls at this point, but also because--and please excuse me if this seems harsh--your read on this guy is so far off base that I have to assume this not to be your strength.

elysium
04-24-2003, 03:03 AM
hi ryan
since you didn't read this opponent as being tricky, it's understandable why you didn't three bet the flop. remember this opponent next time around and do set off a couple charges early on to keep him more predictable. the turn play was really badly botched up; we all do that from time to time. of course, calling gets you as much as raising here, if the weak opponent will call the river. also, next time around, you like that weak in there when you have a value hand to remind the tricky he must count on 2 folding instead of just 1 heads up when he bluffs. the is pretty much a roping type situation where you just call on the expensive rounds after you have really hammered him early.