PDA

View Full Version : Can I raise this river?

blackaces13
09-06-2005, 12:58 PM
Reads: BB seems reasonable, I haven't seen him get out of line yet.

I have: J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif in the CO
UTG+1 calls, all fold to me, I just call, SB completes, BB raises, all call

4 to the flop for 4 BBs:
5/images/graemlins/spade.gif J/images/graemlins/spade.gif 2/images/graemlins/club.gif
SB checks, BB checks, UTG+1 BETS, I raise, SB folds, BB calls, UTG+1 calls.

3 to the turn for 7BBs:
K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif
BB checks, UTG+1 checks, I check.

I decided I didn't like my hand very much anymore v. a BB preflop raiser who seemed reasonable and I didn't want to fold to a raise so I let it get checked around.

River: T/images/graemlins/club.gif
BB wakes up and leads, UTG+1 folds, my action...

I just improved to 2 pair against a preflop raiser who has check called every street post flop and all of a sudden leads out. What does he have? Can I raise?

bottomset
09-06-2005, 01:03 PM
you checked behind on the turn

he could have a bunch of stuff, most likely figuring you for a busted FD

not sure why you automatically assume the K is bad either

adsman
09-06-2005, 01:04 PM
Raise preflop. This is a group 3 hand for christsake. Flop I play the same. I bet the Turn every time and I call the river. Reason being that I don't think I could fold to a 3bet, even if he was coasting with TT hoping to get lucky. And if he was coasting with TT then you checking the Turn probably lost you the pot.

Hojglad
09-06-2005, 01:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Raise preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]
Honestly, what I do with this hand before the flop is extremely read dependent. If I think the lonely limper here is terrible, I raise to get it heads up with him. If I think he's ok, and the blinds are loose, I'll just call. I want to see a cheap flop with this hand when it's 3-4 handed and I also want to be able to take down a pot on the flop where I flop something like top pair. The problem with raising preflop here facing tight blinds is the following: if this limper has as little as a pocket pair or A, K, or Q high - you have a pot equity disadvantage if the blinds fold preflop.

In summary: am I raising this hand from the cutoff when it's 4 limpers to me? Of course. Should you necessarily raise it always in a situation like this? I don't think so.

Bodhi
09-06-2005, 01:56 PM
Yes, you can raise the river. I don't like your turn check, as any Q or A on the river can come to beat you.

@bsolute_luck
09-06-2005, 02:54 PM
preflop is fine especially against an UTG limper as we could very well be dominated and JTs can handle more people and we have great position. raise if you like, but either way i don't sit it as a big leak or -+EV either way.

BB doesn't "suddenly wake up" as you checked behind the turn, so he figures his K to be good. however, i'll raise this river as a K will call, but i don't think i can lay this down to a reraise as he may have a straight or better 2 pair. seeing as no one is behind us, i think calling is okay...maybe i have MUBS though

blackaces13
09-06-2005, 03:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
maybe i have MUBS though

[/ QUOTE ]

What is MUBS?

@bsolute_luck
09-06-2005, 04:06 PM
hahahah! sorry:

Monsters Under the Bed Syndrom

definition "fearing monsters (better hands) when they may not be there"