PDA

View Full Version : Oprah or Johnny?

touchfaith
09-06-2005, 11:06 AM
Adjusting for inflation, who is/was more powerful/influential?

Why?

jacki
09-06-2005, 11:25 AM
Culturally, Johnny.

But the adjusting for inflation bit indicates you're asking an economic question.

Oprah moves more product: Book club, favorite things, etc.

touchfaith
09-06-2005, 11:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Culturally, Johnny.

But the adjusting for inflation bit indicates you're asking an economic question.

[/ QUOTE ]

Naw, by inflation, I guess I meant 'by equal standards'. Couldn't figure out a way to word that. Oprah has involvment in things that either didn't exist during Johnny's era, or where not yet popular on TV (book club is a good example).

But 'back in the day', if you wanted to be 'known' on TV, all roads traveled through Carson.

trying2learn
09-06-2005, 11:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Culturally, Johnny.

[/ QUOTE ]

Naw, by inflation, I guess I meant 'by equal standards'. Couldn't figure out a way to word that. Oprah has involvment in things that either didn't exist during Johnny's era, or where not yet popular on TV (book club is a good example).

But 'back in the day', if you wanted to be 'known' on TV, all roads traveled through Carson.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oprah can't get as big/powerful/influential as Johnny was then, because of all the different options now. Cable tv, satelite tv and radio, the internet, mass marketing...back then Johnny was the end all be all.

touchfaith
09-06-2005, 08:33 PM
11-9? That tight a race and 20 votes?

Boring [censored]ers.

mason55
09-06-2005, 08:44 PM
Many (including me) have no real idea how much influence Carson had.

Dynasty
09-06-2005, 09:47 PM
Johnny's influence was magnified since very few people had cable TV before the 1980's. So, NBC was the only real option for late night original entertainment programming.

Colonel Kataffy
09-06-2005, 10:12 PM
Oprah, and its not even close. Oprah owns her own show; Carson didn't. Carson's show was entertainment. Oprahs shhow is entertainment, but she can also push political and social agendas, and use it to market what ever the hell she wants.