PDA

View Full Version : Now the Trial Lawyers are making the NOLA refugees suffer more

Broken Glass Can
09-06-2005, 06:13 AM
City of Dallas shutting down large well-run private shelter at Reunion Arena(afraid of being sued!)
Channel 8 News-Dallas

Local news in Dallas just did a report that the city manager is shutting down a huge and well-run refugee shelter run by volunteers that was set up at Reunion Arena(several thousand evacuees inside.) The reason? They are afraid of the city's legal liability should an accident happen and someone sues!

City manager told them he wants the shelter run by "professionals", will bring in either the Red Cross or the Salvation Army while kicking out the volunteer group that organized and ran it. No complaints so far, just the threat of the legal looters.

On Tuesday one of the "professional" relief agencies (gee, guess which one) was recommending that people not take refugee families into their home, because that would open them up to the potential to be sued.

The trial lawyers all over the country must be grinning ear-to-ear. Thank you John Edwards, and the 2nd biggest donor group of the DNC.

I want my country back. I'm damned tired of the legal profession finding reasons for why we can't do for our fellow man. I'm tired of having to consider what legal ramifications I may face if I choose to extend my hand when help is needed. What has throwing money at the problem gotten us? We no longer know our neighbours.

cardcounter0
09-06-2005, 07:03 AM
Looks like the only people "making" the refugees suffer is the City Manager of Dallas and an unnamed professional relief agency.

Didn't see the names of any trial lawyers in your post.

09-06-2005, 07:07 AM
Where's the picture of the busses?

cadillac1234
09-06-2005, 09:01 AM
Afraid of being sued but no lawyers, lawsuits or even talk amongst the evacuees cited?

Maybe the Dallas Mayor took Barbara Bush's Speech to heart:

"What I'm hearing which is sort of scary is that they all want to stay in Texas. Everybody is so overhwlemed by the hospitality. And so many of the people in the arena here, you know, were underprivileged anyway so this (chuckle)--this is working very well for them."

-Marie Antoinette, I mean, Babs Bush

lehighguy
09-06-2005, 09:36 AM
Another example of government failure. When will we finally realize its the problem.

adios
09-06-2005, 10:08 AM
Do you have auto insurance that will cover your liability in an auto accident? If so, why? Are you being threatened with a civil action by a lawyer?

Expecting some silly reply like it's mandatory or lawyers bring civil actions all the time in auto accidents (yes civil actions regarding personnal injury do happen enough that insuring one's liability is important). The recent energy bill has a provision where refiners were stripped of liability protection if MTBE finds it's way into ground water. The response from refiners was to cease adding MTBE (a relatively inexpensive clean air additive for gasoline) and replace it with ethanol. The problem with ethanol is that apparently it's not as easy to transport by pipeline. The refiners stated that less gasoline will be produced in the short run and that it will likely drive the price of gasoline higher. When you have a big money target and they can't insure themselves for their potential liability in a lawsuit they're not going to take the risk. It's that simple.

Robbe
09-06-2005, 11:46 AM
Silly me. I thought the Tort Reform of 2003 (simple Google search) completed the Utopia that is Republican Texas.

cadillac1234
09-06-2005, 11:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Silly me. I thought the Tort Reform of 2003 (simple Google search) completed the Utopia that is Republican Texas.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ooopps.. There goes Talking Point #2

webmonarch
09-06-2005, 12:21 PM
Did you ever read those rules I showed you? I guess not. /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Easy E
09-06-2005, 03:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I want my country back. I'm damned tired of the legal profession finding reasons for why we can't do for our fellow man. I'm tired of having to consider what legal ramifications I may face if I choose to extend my hand when help is needed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who is more to blame- the legal sharks, or those that use them to sue when they can?

lehighguy
09-06-2005, 03:43 PM
Don't hate the playa, hate the game.

Easy E
09-06-2005, 03:45 PM
I assumed it was copyrighted. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

webmonarch
09-06-2005, 03:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
because that would open them up to the potential to be sued.

[/ QUOTE ]

BTW, on what grounds? Where is the cite to this?