PDA

View Full Version : 5/10 67s hit my hand on the turn

fuzzbox
09-06-2005, 05:14 AM
5/10 6-max
Hero has been raising quite a bit preflop.
Villain is solid enough.

Hero is MP with 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif7/images/graemlins/spade.gif
Villain is BB

Effective stacks 1.2k

Preflop
Folded to hero who opens for 35, only villain calls.

Flop (Pot 75)
4/images/graemlins/spade.gif8/images/graemlins/spade.gifT/images/graemlins/diamond.gif
check, hero bets 70, villain makes it 140, hero .... just calls (using position ?? is this good, or do we repop ?)

Turn (Pot 350 or so)
9/images/graemlins/heart.gif
Villain bets 200, hero .... starts to raise to 600, realises that he might be giving implied odds with such a small raise (Im kinda forced to pay off the river), and changes his mind and pushes.)

Comments greatly appreciated.

What do you do when min-raised on the flop ?
What do you do when he bets half pot on the turn, with 900 or so left.

AZK
09-06-2005, 10:14 AM
I think I make it 600 more often than push.

09-06-2005, 02:35 PM
Is he going to pay off if you hit a flush? If not I put on the gas on the flop.

09-06-2005, 03:02 PM
I like the push. There is no way he puts you on the straight, but rather puts you on the overpair - so the only way he calls is if he has a set or two pair. And if he has either of those hands, he should call the all-in. So why bother only raising to 600 and giving him odds to draw?

D

n1bd
09-06-2005, 04:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What do you do when min-raised on the flop ?

[/ QUOTE ]
You played it fine.

If you reraise the flop and get played with, you are going to be up against hands that have you hurting, from 3:2 to 3:1. You aren't going to be up against coin flips except maybe overpairs that he smooth calls preflop and overplays postflop.

If you push, you are probably only getting called by pair + flush draw and sets. If you put in a normal reraise to ~500, you invite him to push with those hands, plus the nut flush draw, which you really don't want. So pushing yourself is better than making a normal raise. And pushing is probably a profitable play, since, even though you're behind when called, he folds an awful lot of hands that he min-check-raises and the pot is already growing healthy.

However, calling is probably more profitable still, since you have position and have some good concealed straight outs that could pay off handsomely. (If you were out of position, getting it all in on the flop would be more attractive.) If the flush hits, you should tread lightly, including sometimes checking it through when you turn a flush. You don't miss much value from sets when you check a turn spade, since sets will pay off the river if you check the turn, but won't pay off much on the river if you bet the turn, although maybe I'm wrong since the pot odds are good for calling the last bet (?).

[ QUOTE ]
Villain bets 200, hero .... starts to raise to 600, realises that he might be giving implied odds with such a small raise (Im kinda forced to pay off the river), and changes his mind and pushes.)

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree you should get it all in on the turn instead of raising less, but it's not just to deny him odds. It's also to get his money in while he is still drawing or before scary river cards kill your action. If he has a flush draw + straight draw, you might get him to call all in on the turn, but he won't give you action on the river. If he has a set, you aren't getting the rest of his chips if a spade rivers.

donny5k
09-06-2005, 07:09 PM
Ignore me... I can't read

fuzzbox
09-07-2005, 04:46 AM
Thanks for the help guys.

Villain folded to my push.