PDA

View Full Version : Straights vs. Queens

AceHigh
04-22-2003, 10:50 PM
PP 1/2, 3 limpers to me in late position, I raise with Q /forums/images/icons/club.gif Q /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif . The Big Blind(BB) and all the limpers calls. 5 of us see the flop for 10.5 SB.

Flop is 9 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif 7 /forums/images/icons/club.gif T /forums/images/icons/heart.gif

The BB bets and 2 limpers call, 1 folds. I raise, BB and limpers call.

Turn is 8 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif

Everybody checks to me, I check.

River is 4 /forums/images/icons/heart.gif

Checked to limper on my right, he/she bets, I call, 2 limpers overcall.

Comments?
What do you think of my turn check?

34TheTruth34
04-22-2003, 11:45 PM
I usually like to bet the turn. Hopefully, this will a) not give free cards to hands that may be behind, b)get more money into the pot on those rare times when a queen or a jack comes and my hand is good [or where I would at least like to bet the river] and c) get me a free showdown. This bet is usually the last money I intend to put into the pot. If I am check-raised in a field this big, I can safely fold.

The main problem I have with checking the turn is that you are almost certainly going to have to face a bet on the river and play guessing games. And if the river bettor is not the first person to act, you may have to face a raise behind you. BTW, even in real loose low limit games, you'd be surprised how often your hand is actually good here.

AceHigh
04-23-2003, 07:45 AM
"If I am check-raised in a field this big, I can safely fold."

Can I safely fold? That's part of why I didn't bet, any Jack gives me a straight and a Queen gives me trips, so I have as many as 6 outs and the pots over 9 big bets (12 at least on the check/raise). OTOH, I'm drawing for 1/2 the pot vs. QJ.

AceHigh
04-23-2003, 07:57 PM
My Queens were good.

Not sure whether checking the turn was the right play or not. 34thetruth34, brings up some good points. If I can safely laydown the hand on the turn then betting the turn is the better play.