PDA

View Full Version : Need help

09-06-2005, 05:07 AM
I am a relative newbie to the world of online poker, and moreso to these forums. Thus far all the hand history postings and discussions have been so enjoyable to read and learn from.

About me - I have read TOP, SSH and WLLH, and have achieved a rating a TAA on PT after 20k hands, which I thought was good progress over a short time. I also assumed at 2/4 this would lead to consistent winnings over time. I wasn't expecting to make large amounts, but consistently win. I have been disappointed in that I suffer huge swings. I recognize that there is variance, but I think it's likely a sign of a larger problem - I normally play 2/4 limit, and can go up 200+ in a matter of hours, and then dump it right back later in the session.

I posting an appeal for help. I think a huge problem that I can relatively say with confidence is that I have extreme trouble with those players who are the "loose aggressive" types. They create multiway pots often and are clearly very advanced when it comes to postflop play. As a result, large pairs are often ruined by the multiway action postflop, etc. And the fact that it's at 2/4 doesn't help - no one folds to preflop raising unless it's early in the aciton (creating one BB rather than calling 1/2 BB). My play I feel does not change in this table environment - I stay tight aggressive, and this is perhaps my biggest problem (not changing). I have little ability to adapt to table, numbers of players in the action in any deal, etc.

My question is, what is the best way to handle players and tables such as this. I am just beginning to understand that if the pots are multiway, that hands like AT, KT and to a lesser extent AJ and KJ do not play well. However, do players like this merit playing a wider range of hands preflop instead of the predictable "tight" hands from only certain positions?

Anyway, sorry to write a novel, but it has been an e. I was hoping to garner some advice about playing in this type of environment and advancing my game further.

Thank you.

TaintedRogue
09-06-2005, 09:07 AM
Do you have a couple of hand examples you can post?

JDErickson
09-06-2005, 10:47 AM
$200 is only 50 BB. If this is your worst swings then count yourself lucky.

I lost 50 BB on Saturday and 80 BB on Sunday

09-06-2005, 11:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I will post a few hands forthcoming. One in particular that I will post once I retrieve and convert it was a loose-aggressive opponent who played J3 (I belive off-suit) against one or two preflop raises and hit the nut boat. If it was indeed suited, it segues to my next query...

...which is - I was wondering if someone could expand on the topic of playing suited cards and low pairs from "position" to loosen up ones game in a 2/4 game. It has come to my attention that this is often where the carnage is coming from - the so-called "maniac" or loose-agressives play a lot of suited cards aggressively preflop (eg: call raises, etc) and then hit their flushes to completely bomb people with large pairs, etc.

This may have been written about, detailed elsewhere, so if someone could either give a newbie a refresher or point me in the direction of where I can find knowledge on this tactic, please let me know.

BB

DcifrThs
09-06-2005, 12:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I will post a few hands forthcoming. One in particular that I will post once I retrieve and convert it was a loose-aggressive opponent who played J3 (I belive off-suit) against one or two preflop raises and hit the nut boat. If it was indeed suited, it segues to my next query...

...which is - I was wondering if someone could expand on the topic of playing suited cards and low pairs from "position" to loosen up ones game in a 2/4 game. It has come to my attention that this is often where the carnage is coming from - the so-called "maniac" or loose-agressives play a lot of suited cards aggressively preflop (eg: call raises, etc) and then hit their flushes to completely bomb people with large pairs, etc.

This may have been written about, detailed elsewhere, so if someone could either give a newbie a refresher or point me in the direction of where I can find knowledge on this tactic, please let me know.

BB

[/ QUOTE ]

LINKY (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=3331140&page=0&view=e xpanded&sb=5&o=14&fpart=1)

Bodhi
09-06-2005, 01:32 PM
The variance you describe is perfectly normal. Get used to it! If you are not properly bankrolled to drop $200-400 in a session of 2/4 then you should drop down in limits.

[ QUOTE ]
I am just beginning to understand that if the pots are multiway, that hands like AT, KT and to a lesser extent AJ and KJ do not play well. However, do players like this merit playing a wider range of hands preflop instead of the predictable "tight" hands from only certain positions?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, in the later positions you should be playing a lot more hands. In early positions, throw away those KT, KJ, and AT offsuits, raise AJ and KQ offsuit and better hands.