PDA

View Full Version : AKs First Hand

09-06-2005, 04:18 AM
Villian's raise made me think they didn't know much about tournament poker. So I put him on a wide range of hands. Even though it worked out in my favor did I make the right play?
Edit: Buy-in= 11
PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t20 (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Button (t1500)
SB (t1500)
Hero (t1500)
UTG (t1500)
UTG+1 (t1500)
MP1 (t1500)
MP2 (t1500)
MP3 (t1500)
CO (t1500)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG calls t20, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises to t220</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, SB calls t210, Hero calls t200, UTG folds.

Flop: (t680) 5/images/graemlins/club.gif, 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets t340</font>, SB folds, Hero calls t340.

Turn: (t1360) T/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets t800</font>, Hero calls t800.

River: (t2960) 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t140 (All-In)</font>, MP2 calls t140 (All-In).

Final Pot: t3240

curtains
09-06-2005, 05:10 AM
on both the flop+turn if you plan to call such large bets, its best to bet/checkraise yourself. On the turn your play is especially poor to check and call for what is basically all your chips. If you plan to do this, you should just move allin yourself and hope that your opponent folds, as all you currently have is Ace high.

This way you can either hit your hand if they call, or make them fold. The way you played, you must hit your hand on the end.

tigerite
09-06-2005, 09:00 AM
I'm pushing preflop, but I guess a call is "okay". I'm check-raising all in on the flop, though.

Nicholasp27
09-06-2005, 09:37 AM
i think you were spewing chips here

if u just call him, u have one way to win: hit that flush (get an ace-high hand against q-high hand perhaps)

if u either bet at him or, even better, check-raise, then u have him folding as another way to win

u were willing to bet 340 on the flop and then 800 more on the turn that didn't hit u...so why not just reraise him all-in on the flop after he bet 340?

if he has qq/kk/aa/aq/kq he calls...otherwise he prolly folds

09-06-2005, 09:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i think you were spewing chips here

if u just call him, u have one way to win: hit that flush (get an ace-high hand against q-high hand perhaps)

if u either bet at him or, even better, check-raise, then u have him folding as another way to win

u were willing to bet 340 on the flop and then 800 more on the turn that didn't hit u...so why not just reraise him all-in on the flop after he bet 340?

if he has qq/kk/aa/aq/kq he calls...otherwise he prolly folds

[/ QUOTE ]

durron597
09-06-2005, 09:41 AM
Preflop: Fine

Flop: Checkraise allin, even if your 1 pair outs aren't clean unless he has exactly AA or QQ (unlikely given your hand and the board) you still have at least 12 outs and you may get a hand like JJ to fold.

09-06-2005, 09:45 AM
As others have said, I'm pushing every street here (provided I forgot to push the last one). Not pushing preflop is acceptable, but there's so much pretty dead money in there to steal and isolate a raiser whose range you seem to think you beat.

KramerTM
09-06-2005, 09:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]

on both the flop+turn if you plan to call such large bets, its best to bet/checkraise yourself. On the turn your play is especially poor to check and call for what is basically all your chips. If you plan to do this, you should just move allin yourself and hope that your opponent folds, as all you currently have is Ace high.

This way you can either hit your hand if they call, or make them fold. The way you played, you must hit your hand on the end.

[/ QUOTE ]

As usual, couldn't have said it better myself.

curtains
09-06-2005, 04:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm pushing preflop, but I guess a call is "okay". I'm check-raising all in on the flop, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

My standard play is actually to fold preflop, but I didn't feel like addressing that /images/graemlins/smile.gif

fnord_too
09-06-2005, 04:45 PM
If you are going to play here I think you should push preflop, or push the flop. I hate calling off most of my stack with what is a weak draw on the turn. You pretty much insured that you needed the make a hand to win here, and you are doing this for your whole stack. Yuk.

stanzee
09-06-2005, 06:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Villian's raise made me think they didn't know much about tournament poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like you've already decided he's got nothing so push preflop.

2Fast2Furious
09-06-2005, 06:35 PM
just wondering what some opinions might have been if flop had come with only one heart.....as you don't have a read villain could have anything from A-6 to AA right so not sure I'd want to push knowing some guy with Q-5, Q-6 or 5-6 suited is way ahead of me.....I'm probably pretty weak-tight but I think i fold if he pushes - it's early on, I still would have a decent stack and I'm out of position - also, I don't like that 1/2 pot sized bet offering corrrect odds to call for a flush draw (I think)

stanzee
09-06-2005, 06:42 PM
You've got the nut non-paired hand. Just push it preflop and forget about the rest /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hendricks433
09-06-2005, 06:48 PM
before I read any replies I think the play sucked. Calling off 800 of your stack to leave you with 140 on the turn on a draw I think is horrible. I maybe Check Raise all in on the Flop if your gonna call down to the river with the hand. I think its too early to push pf so I think you have to call or fold. But I c/r flop or Push pf I think. But Im not a big fan of pushng AK pf this early when I think original raiser will def call.