PDA

View Full Version : Polls and Approval Ratings

IrishHand
04-22-2003, 10:11 PM
As we've discussed before, I believe that polls tend to be highly overrated since they depend so much on the methodology. My biggest complaint tends to be the actual question being asked, since it often begs one answer or the other - and if the question doesn't, it's often too vague. However, I found the following very interesting, especially in light of the fact that US presidents, historically, have always enjoyed a huge boost in support immediately following the initiation of military action against a foreign nation.

President
Pre-War Approval Rating
Start of War Approval Rating
After U.S. Victory Assured Approval Rating

George H.W. Bush (1991)
64% (Jan 11-13)
82% (Jan 17-20)
89% (Feb 28-Mar 3)

George W. Bush (2003)
58% (Mar 14-15)
71% (Mar 22-23)
71% (Apr 14-16)

Read into that what you will. I tend to find historical comparisons a lot more interesting than poll results in the abstract anyway - they give at least a vague sense of perspective to an otherwise flawed source of information.

IrishHand
04-22-2003, 10:12 PM
(From Gallup.com for the curious - some other interesting comparisons there too, but I didn't want to make it a multi-page special. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif)

Cyrus
04-23-2003, 09:19 AM
and actually very biased and scientifically suspect and secretly very partisan, when the poll's findings do not agree with our beliefs. Polls are unjustly maligned and actually very fair and scientifically impeccabble and an acceptable and legitimate instrument of gauging the people's viewpoint when the poll's findings agree with our beliefs.

Cheers.