PDA

View Full Version : Gimme suggestions for....books

imported_CaseClosed326
09-06-2005, 03:38 AM
I don't read enough and my friends don't read anything. So if you have any suggestions on any good books that I should check out, that would be helpful.

ChipWrecked
09-06-2005, 03:41 AM
Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card.

Quick, easy read, great story, won both top sf awards, get a jump on the upcoming movie.

PoBoy321
09-06-2005, 03:41 AM
Frog and Toad are Friends

Jack of Arcades
09-06-2005, 03:42 AM
My first recommendation is always Ender's Game. Doesn't take long to read, pretty well written, and it's the darling book of the circles I'm in (nerdy/honors/sci-fi).

Jack of Arcades
09-06-2005, 03:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Quick, easy read, great story, won both top sf awards, get a jump on the upcoming movie.

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha... bastard.

Also: allegory for Hitler's youth. That makes it pretty cool.

unreal_nh
09-06-2005, 03:48 AM
crime and punishment -dostoevsky

ChipWrecked
09-06-2005, 03:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha... bastard.

Also: allegory for Hitler's youth. That makes it pretty cool.

[/ QUOTE ]

The movie is going to be a blend of the Ender and Bean storylines. Hope they don't [censored] it up.

Although, last time I said 'hope they don't [censored] it up' was for LOTR; and that worked out pretty well.

PoBoy321
09-06-2005, 03:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Whoa there, buddy. Gotta walk before you run. That's a hell of a tough read. I would probably recommend staying away from anything you would have to read in college. Most of it is boring and only read so that smart people can have pissing contests over what big books they've read.

I've always like Peter Benchley's stuff. Great White and The Thing are good ones.

imported_CaseClosed326
09-06-2005, 03:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds a bit over my head. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I'll try to check out as many of these as I can.

bravos1
09-06-2005, 03:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL.. check this out... a buddy of mine has a daughter reading this book in her Sr year...

OF HIGH SCHOOL!!! I was like WTF?

PoBoy321
09-06-2005, 03:59 AM
I read it in High School. I think it's actually pretty common in AP English courses, along with tons of other books that aren't generally read outside of academic circles.

wtfsvi
09-06-2005, 04:07 AM
This is a good suggestion. You might think it's boring and over your head because it's a classic or because some Russian guy wrote it, but it's not.

There is a reason why the classics become classics. It's not because they are boring.

rusellmj
09-06-2005, 04:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Frog and Toad are Friends

[/ QUOTE ]

This comes highly recommended by my 6yo.

Jack of Arcades
09-06-2005, 04:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL.. check this out... a buddy of mine has a daughter reading this book in her Sr year...

[/ QUOTE ]

Read it my Sr Year, too.

09-06-2005, 04:21 AM
Since this is a poker forum I'd have to recommend Positivly Fifth Street by James McManus. Great read which gives good insight on the WSOP. The author actually did quite well in the main event and covers his experience in the book.

thatpfunk
09-06-2005, 06:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I would probably recommend staying away from anything you would have to read in college. Most of it is boring and only read so that smart people can have pissing contests over what big books they've read.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, that's exactly why I read. To argue about it with other people. I mean reading is sooooo cool in our society today, that's how I pull all the chicks. Thanks War and Peace!

09-06-2005, 06:41 AM
1984 by George Orwell.

Brave New World by Aldous Huxley.

ethan
09-06-2005, 07:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Of Card's work, I've always liked The Worthing Saga. You might also enjoy Maps in a Mirror, which is a collection of his short fiction.

Transference
09-06-2005, 07:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Whoa there, buddy. Gotta walk before you run. That's a hell of a tough read. I would probably recommend staying away from anything you would have to read in college. Most of it is boring and only read so that smart people can have pissing contests over what big books they've read.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah this thing is sort of right in alignment with my field, I don't shy away from difficult books and I've still only read of half of it. Im sure theres some good stuff in there but it seems like its kinda swamped with drivel.

To the OP it would probably help if you described your interests or gave us some books that youve liked in the past.

thatpfunk
09-06-2005, 08:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Yeah this thing is sort of right in alignment with my field, I don't shy away from difficult books and I've still only read of half of it. Im sure theres some good stuff in there but it seems like its kinda swamped with drivel.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait, this is your field and you found it difficult? C&P is not a very difficult read. Perhaps dry at points, but not difficult.

Transference
09-06-2005, 08:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Wait, this is your field and you found it difficult? C&P is not a very difficult read. Perhaps dry at points, but not difficult.

[/ QUOTE ]

I studied forensic(criminal) psychology so I figured Id really like it, but yeah, it seemed to get really tedious and drag on forever at points. The comprehension aspect wasnt bad but I think the culture barrier made it more difficult at some points, its also difficult to track whos who when everyone seems to go by 3 different names. I'll pick it up again and might end up loving it but as it stands i cant reccomend it.

thatpfunk
09-06-2005, 08:18 AM
Ah, sorry, nevermind. When you said it was in your field I assumed Literature. Perfectly understandable.

mslif
09-06-2005, 08:21 AM
Just finished reading A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole. I really enjoyed it and found it very witty

jakethebake
09-06-2005, 08:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Just finished reading A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole. I really enjoyed it and found it very witty

[/ QUOTE ]

That is one of my favorite books ever! /images/graemlins/heart.gif

Jack of Arcades
09-06-2005, 08:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

MrFeelNothin
09-06-2005, 08:27 AM
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

and

The Night of the Avenging Blowfish

for some easy but highly humorous reading.

Jack of Arcades
09-06-2005, 08:32 AM
Also, Fight Club is good. It's not Palahniuk's best, but you've probably seen the movie so it's pretty damned accessible.

oreogod
09-06-2005, 08:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Also, Fight Club is good. It's not Palahniuk's best, but you've probably seen the movie so it's pretty damned accessible.

[/ QUOTE ]

read Survivor. (also when u do check the authors official site for the secret ending that was written in there.)

edtost
09-06-2005, 08:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I read it in High School. I think it's actually pretty common in AP English courses, along with tons of other books that aren't generally read outside of academic circles.

[/ QUOTE ]

JDErickson
09-06-2005, 10:37 AM
Red Storm Rising by Tom Clancy

Sword Of Shannara series by Terry Brooks

touchfaith
09-06-2005, 10:45 AM
Le Dictionary de Websters

09-06-2005, 11:19 AM
Hey guys I'm thinking about getting the ender book. I notice on B&N they have about 300 enders books. Is there a enders book with the original 4 storys in it?

RunDownHouse
09-06-2005, 11:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I would probably recommend staying away from anything you would have to read in college. Most of it is boring and only read so that smart people can have pissing contests over what big books they've read.

[/ QUOTE ]
Careful, your ignorance is showing.

peterchi
09-06-2005, 11:42 AM
My favorite book ever is Abraham Lincoln's DNA and Other Adventures in Genetics.

But I'm weird like that.

It's probably only worth your while if you have any interest in science at all, but at the same time, it was written for the non-scientist in terms of level of comprehension. So, if you don't like science, it's not that you wouldn't understand it; it's that you wouldn't care.

It's basically a compilation of stories throughout history, in which genetics plays any sort of significant role. Stuff like crime scene investigations, inbreeding in royal families, eugenics, etc.

TheIrishThug
09-06-2005, 11:53 AM
of the Palahniuk books i've read i'd say do lullaby before choke
also check out The Lion's Game by Nelson DeMille
manhattan hunt club by John Saul

RunDownHouse
09-06-2005, 11:56 AM
Fiction: The Kite Runner came out not too long ago and is a really good read, especially if you don't know much about Afghanistan, like I didn't.

Non-fiction: Sperm Wars, By Dr. Robin Baker. A must read, and very easy to follow even if you don't know anything about evolutionary biology.

A Confederacy of Dunces, as suggested by someone else, is my favorite of the others that have been mentioned so far.

tbach24
09-06-2005, 12:04 PM
The Curious Incident About the Dog in the Nighttime--easily the best book I've ever read

Bringing Down the House by Ben Mezreich I think. Very good, about card counters.

Moneyball by Michael Lewis. Pretty much a must read for any baseball fan. It's fantastic.

BruinEric
09-06-2005, 01:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't read enough and my friends don't read anything. So if you have any suggestions on any good books that I should check out, that would be helpful.

[/ QUOTE ]

George Orwell - 1984. The book is easy to read, has good suspense and everything. You think you know enough about all the "Big Brother" stuff to know the whole book -- but you don't.

A worthy read that also grows your cultural literacy.

BruinEric
09-06-2005, 01:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

For humor with a bit of a world-travelogue and topics that make you think, try either:

Parliament of Whores by PJ O'Rourke

or

Eat the Rich by PJ O'Rourke

If I had to recommend only one of these, I would highly HIGHLY recommend "Eat the Rich." The chapters on Sweden and Albania are especially interesting and funny.

The book can be read in standalone chapter-form, so you can read a chapter and come back to the book much later if you want.

Slow Play Ray
09-06-2005, 01:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I also read this my senior year of high school. I think it's pretty commonplace nowadays.

Slow Play Ray
09-06-2005, 01:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ChipWrecked
09-06-2005, 01:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hey guys I'm thinking about getting the ender book. I notice on B&N they have about 300 enders books. Is there a enders book with the original 4 storys in it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not that I know of.

For what it's worth, I prefer the 'Shadow' sequels to the 'Speaker' series.

Mat Sklansky
09-06-2005, 01:22 PM
Check out books by Jerzy Kosinski and Charles Bukowski

jakethebake
09-06-2005, 01:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Jerzy Kosinski

[/ QUOTE ]

Good call. T need to re-read The Painted Bird. It's been years.

edit: over 20 years now that i think about it. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Voltron87
09-06-2005, 01:26 PM
when genius failed, freakonomics, liars poker (not about poker).

edtost
09-06-2005, 02:34 PM
My Life as a Quant - Emanuel Derman

RunDownHouse
09-06-2005, 02:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Bringing Down the House by Ben Mezreich I think. Very good, about card counters.

[/ QUOTE ]
Tbach, you should grab Ugly Americans by Mezrich. About Americans trading derivatives in Japan. He kind of beats around the bush some, but its fascinating.

Smarty
09-06-2005, 03:03 PM
Great Expectations - Charles Dickens

jon_1van
09-06-2005, 04:25 PM
I 2nd
-A brave new world -Aldous Huxley
-Ender's Game - Orson Scott Card
-Bringing down the House - Ben Mez..???(about card counting)

I suggest
-The Godfather by Mario Puzo (the book is very good)
-The Last Don by Mario Puzo
-The footprint of God (or God's footprint) recent fiction bestseller
-The Davinci Code was good too

09-06-2005, 04:53 PM
Poker: One of a Kind, the story about Stu Unger was a great read.

Other: Anything by Chuck Palahuik is good, though I suggest Fight Club first.

If you like Satire than David Sederis is pretty hysterical.

If you like classics The Grapes of Wrath is my favorite.

Good, quick reads: Da Vinci and Angels and Demons

Rubeskies
09-06-2005, 05:01 PM
Kurt Vonnegut: "Slaughter House 5" "Breakfast of Champions"

J.D. Salinger: "Catcher in the Rye"

cold_cash
09-06-2005, 05:23 PM
Hemingway.

09-06-2005, 05:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Kurt Vonnegut: "Slaughter House 5" "Breakfast of Champions"

J.D. Salinger: "Catcher in the Rye"

[/ QUOTE ]

Never read Breakfast of Champions, though it was mentioned about 1,000 times in all my creative writing classes in college. Should have found the time to read it by now.

Catcher in the Rye is a classic. In fact, I would say read that before Grapes of Wrath as it is quick, interesting, and pretty damn funny.