PDA

View Full Version : Awkward social situations

PoBoy321
09-06-2005, 02:34 AM
Here are a couple of awkward situations I've been in recently where I just wasn't sure how to deal with them.

1) The other day, I'm standing outside of my apartment complex when this girl who lives across to me walks to her apartment. It's all student housing, this is all the first time we've lived here and I don't know who this girl is, but I think my roommate knows her, I'm not really sure. Anyway, as she walks by, she says "Hi Tom," which is my real name, but she didn't really look at me.

I didn't say hi back.

There were other people in the area, and I figured that she could have been talking to one of them, but she wasn't really looking at anyone, so I don't know who she would have been saying hi to. I figured that it would be really awkward if I said hi and she wasn't talking to me, but at the same time, really rude if she DID say hi to me and I didn't say it back.

2) A friend of mine is a lifeguard at a pool in suburban VA and it's her last week working there, so me, 2 of my roommates and these 3 girls get in my friend's car to drive out there. Since there were 6 people in the car, we needed to squeeze 4 people in the back, and we decided that since my 1 roommate was driving, my other roommate would sit shotgun going and I would sit shotgun coming back because my roommate and I are both pretty big guys and it was suck to try to fit both of us in the backseat along with 2 girls and have 1 girl in the front seat.

Anyway, when we're coming back, I ask the girls if any of them want to sit in the front because I figured it would be rude not to. One of the girls said yes, and I was kinda stunned and didn't know what to do. I offered because I figured it would be rude not to, but at the same time, I wasn't expecting one of them to say yes. Now I have to either reneg on my offer or be squished into the backseat for the 45 minute drive home.

What's your move, hotshot?

09-06-2005, 02:43 AM
Til the sun comes up
Baby, we'll be makin' love
And when the sun goes down
Still we won't have enough
Take this love to you
I will take care of all you need
Baby, lets asure
I just wanna set you free, free.

JaBlue
let her sit up front and in the future don't offer something you don't intend to give.

Hoopster81
1) If you have never talked to her befor and she's not looking at you, I think its fine to say nothing. If she really was talking to you -- then she is the weird one here.

2) Just don't offer shotty to the hotties

LethalRose
09-06-2005, 02:44 AM
1) not really that rude, if someone says hi and uses my name if they arent looking at me i assume they are either talking to themselves or talking to someone else. not really that awkward...

2) not really that awkward either.

ChipWrecked
09-06-2005, 02:44 AM
1. I usually try to err on the side of friendly in this kind of situation. Worst case, she gives you a weird look, and you explain your name is Tom. Kind of an icebreaker, actually.

2. Suck it up. See if you can get the other chick on your lap.

09-06-2005, 02:45 AM
1) It seems like you snubbed her. Good job if she did something wrong. Bad move if she is trying to bang you.

2) This is funny, I love when the fake-offer is accepted. If I were you, I'd either play it off as a joke, or be straightforward with them that you didnt think theyd accept.

By any chance do you watch Seinfeld?

PoBoy321
09-06-2005, 02:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
2) not really that awkward either.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, the reason it was awkward was probably more about the other 3 people in the back than the girl in the front.

PoBoy321
09-06-2005, 02:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
By any chance do you watch Seinfeld?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's easily the best show in the history of television.

And actually, the fake offer thing, I brought it up later and we had a good laugh and a long discussion about it later. Apparently, the rule is that when someone offers you something, you're supposed to reject 2 times before accepting.

"Do you want shotgun?"
"No."
"You sure?"
"Yes."
"I really don't mind."
"OK, I'll take shotgun."

LethalRose
09-06-2005, 02:51 AM
never heard of that rule..hmm..

Im almost always the biggest person when me and a group go somewhere, so shotgun is almost automatic. We have the bitches meet us at said location so we dont have to hear the bitching/country music. It works out well that way.

handsome
09-06-2005, 02:56 AM
Me: Hi Ben!
Jason: Uhh, it's Jason.
Me: ..... sorry.

touchfaith
09-06-2005, 02:57 AM
You are in luck. I am a relationship expert and here now for you...

1. Perfect opportunity to act weird. Mutter under our breath something like, "wait, isn't that me?" then yell "HI!" as loud as you can.

2. When she accepts shotgun, pat your lap and say groovy. If she says groovy back, SIIHP.

Eurotrash
09-06-2005, 02:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]

And actually, the fake offer thing, I brought it up later and we had a good laugh and a long discussion about it later. Apparently, the rule is that when someone offers you something, you're supposed to reject 2 times before accepting.

"Do you want shotgun?"
"No."
"You sure?"
"Yes."
"I really don't mind."
"OK, I'll take shotgun."

[/ QUOTE ]

this double-refusal pre-acceptance is key, I'm a proponent of this method.

wtfsvi
09-06-2005, 03:02 AM
You shouldn't have made the offer, but once it's done you'll just have to squish yourself in. 45 mins is not that big of a deal anyway. (One of the girls on the lap = not a bad idea.)

As for the "hi Tom"-girl, she is probably as embarrassed as you if it was indeed you she addressed. Just ask your roomate if he has told her what your name is. If he has, assume she was talking to you and you talk to her next time you see her.