PDA

View Full Version : Is JJ that bad?

09-06-2005, 01:20 AM
I am playing PP $2/4 and have loaded up my last 6k hands into PT and notice I am doing terrible with JJ. AA is getting me just over 2 BB/hand, KK is 1.9 BB/hand, QQ is 1.5 BB/hand, and JJ is NEGATIVE 1.15 BB/hand. I raise the 1st 3 over 90% of the time and JJ about 70%. Given I am loosing $$ should i slow it down or should I push it like its a better hand? is JJ more like smaller pairs?

Q.

brazilio
09-06-2005, 01:24 AM
6000 hands is nothing, try it with 60,000 hands and then come asking.

09-06-2005, 01:28 AM
I'd raise them all more often pre-flop. Closer to (if not at) 100% for AA-QQ. Depending on the number of raises/re-raises, for JJ, I'd be raising/re-raising those puppies, too. Of course this all depends on your table...

EDIT: Hell, for what it's worth, TT should almost be played the same pre-flop as JJ. Get all the EV you can out of it.

mikeyvegas
09-06-2005, 01:36 AM
I just checked by PT database, and found that my raising % over 30000 hands is:

AA - 97.12
KK - 97.26
QQ - 98.90
JJ - 98.39

I think that this should be the norm. What do your JJ hands look like post flop? Maybe you should post some hands that you may have questions with.

Harv72b
09-06-2005, 01:39 AM
Brazilio is, of course, right--you aren't going to have been dealt JJ often enough in the span of 6,000 hands to even things out from just 1 or 2 big losses. You need a lot of hands before you can do any detailed analysis on specific card combinations.

You also should be raising JJ much more often--close to 100% of the time. Basically, any time the pot is not raised before it gets to you and you see JJ, hit the raise button. If it is raised, this is normally a 3-betting hand; you can make some adjustments to that depending on how passive the initial raiser is.

Every time you limp JJ preflop, you make it more likely that you will lose the hand, because you make it more likely that someone is going to limp behind with something like A7s or KTo. By raising, you put them in a situation where they shouldn't play their hand--of course there are donkeys who are going to play them anyway, but that's okay because, over the long run, you make money when they make those calls (this of course assumes that you're a halfway decent postflop player).

JJ is not a megastrong hand, and for this reason most experts put in a different category than AA-QQ. However, it is still a strong hand, and will provide a nice profit for you when played correctly. Part of playing it correctly is properly protecting the hand preflop.

09-06-2005, 01:41 AM
You gotta raise JJ more. You gotta make it do what it do baby.

09-06-2005, 01:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
EDIT: Hell, for what it's worth, TT should almost be played the same pre-flop as JJ. Get all the EV you can out of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Stellastarr
09-06-2005, 02:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You gotta raise JJ more. You gotta make it do what it do baby.

[/ QUOTE ]

ArturiusX
09-06-2005, 03:24 AM
I always smile when I get dealt JJ, along with AA, KK, QQ, AK.

So no, its a good hand.

09-06-2005, 09:34 AM
Thanks for the advice, I have been far to passive with JJ. lookout PP, i'm a new man.

PS. i realize 6k hands inst much, but -1.15 BB/hand isnt something I want to repeat for 54k more hands.

Q.

lozen
09-06-2005, 10:37 AM
Also if you re-raise J-J be carefull dont be afraid to let it go quickly with a A-K, or A-Q board. I do believe the stats are 1/3 of the time the flop will be low.