PDA

View Full Version : p.f. changs. anyone?

chuddo
09-06-2005, 12:18 AM
anyone ever eaten here? a new one just opened up here in louisville and i am debating on taking a date here on wednesday.

even if you have never heard of it but want to check it out:
p.f. changs (http://www.pfchangs.com)

any comments?

Dave Mac
09-06-2005, 12:18 AM
kicks ass

kerssens
09-06-2005, 12:19 AM
its alright, nothing stood out to me, I had it a couple years ago and haven't been back.

dynamite
09-06-2005, 12:19 AM
It is great. Really good food that you can share. The atmosphere is trendy and cool. I would definitely recommend it for a date.

chuddo
09-06-2005, 12:20 AM
what is the typical price range for a meal?
also what is the typical attire?

mason55
09-06-2005, 12:21 AM
One of my standard date restaurants. Don't go expecting traditional Asian food though. Suggestions are the chicken lettuce wraps, the crab wantons, and the singaporean street noodles.

mason55
09-06-2005, 12:23 AM
Attire is casual to dress casual, depending on what time of evening you go. You won't look out of place in a dress shirt and khakis in the late evening and earlier a tshirt and shorts are ok.

Apps are 5-8 bucks. Entrees are 10-20.

BWebb
09-06-2005, 12:23 AM
Been once and thought it was awesome. They are planning on opening one where I live, so I bet I'll be going much more often.

chuddo
09-06-2005, 12:27 AM
thanks for the info.

so i shouldnt opt for wearing the jeans + nice dress shirt untucked and sandals standard clothing eh?

also, any other suggestions regarding food?
i really do not care much for any chinese food i have ever had. be it chinese delivery or a big chinese buffet, i never really like it.

exist
09-06-2005, 12:27 AM
try the kung pao chicken. i think they have some really good deserts too...

bravos1
09-06-2005, 12:29 AM
it's a little better than average americanized chinese food. Not bad, but not great. I guess in some areas (Louisville may just be one) they will be F'ing awesome because there is no real, good, chinese to be had. It's a very good place for a date though. Definately get the crab wontons for an appetizer and the Sichuan pork (somewhat spicy). These are the 2 best things on the menu if you ask me.

bravos1
09-06-2005, 12:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
the singaporean street noodles.

[/ QUOTE ]

Forgot about those.. they are pretty goot also..

mason55
09-06-2005, 12:33 AM
The salt and peper fish was excellent last time I had it. I had some mango chicken once and the chicken was really bland so I wouldn't recommend it. Other than that, the most things I've tried have been at least good.

If you don't usually love Chinese food, PF Chang's actually should be good for you. Rather than try to pass of their food as "real" Chinese, they call it Chinese-American fusion. Don't expect to find General Tso's chick or Beef with Brocoli.

Bradyams
09-06-2005, 12:34 AM
Good restaraunt, and I thought the bill was very cheap for how good it was.

peachy
09-06-2005, 12:48 AM
yes i have...thier chicken lettuce wraps are AWESOME...and im picky!!!

its medium priced (5 to 10ish for appetizers and 10 to 30ish for dinner)...and casual to dressed up goes there...doesnt matter

7ontheline
09-06-2005, 01:10 AM
Yeah, everyone here pretty much has it pegged. I'm Chinese and I don't like it much at all, but I can see how people who didn't grow up with the cuisine would like it. It's not BAD food, it's just not really Chinese food.

bravos1
09-06-2005, 01:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Don't expect to find General Tso's chick

[/ QUOTE ]

Not quite true.. they have "Honey Chicken" and "Crispy Chicken" which in the menu actually states PF Chang's take on "General Tso's"

B Dids
09-06-2005, 01:20 AM
I've been to the one in Seattle, which was very good, and one in AC, which was pretty lousy. For the money, I think you can do better.

DeadMoneyOC
09-06-2005, 01:22 AM
I eat at the Pf in newport beach like...everyday. Good place to take a date. GL

smokingrobot
09-06-2005, 01:23 AM
i hear the food isnt bad. its asian fusion. their drinks are good... i think they have a big martini selection or something like that.

Alobar
09-06-2005, 01:36 AM
its really good

Ulysses
09-06-2005, 02:42 AM
It's sort of like what Olive Garden is for Italian food.

Ulysses
09-06-2005, 02:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i really do not care much for any chinese food i have ever had. be it chinese delivery or a big chinese buffet, i never really like it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then I would probably not choose a Chinese food place for a date.

chuddo
09-06-2005, 02:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Then I would probably not choose a Chinese food place for a date.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah i thought that, but my brother who doesn't like much chinese food claimed i would like it.

i just don't care for the sweetish taste of a lot of the stuff i have tried.

she is a vegeterian and it looked like there is a decent selection of stuff for her.

mikech
09-06-2005, 03:06 AM
can't believe how many ppl think pf chang's is good/great/awesome/kicks ass. IT SUCKS. just a big suburban chain passing itself off as some kinda mid/high-end place when actually the food sucks and it's too expensive. there's a reason why there isn't one in nyc or sf: because ppl in those cities have eaten chinese food that's twice as good and costs half as much. oh, and because it sucks.

zokbarjazz
09-06-2005, 03:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
this is exactly correct. you can do much better.

sublime
09-06-2005, 03:10 AM
i really liked it

sublime
09-06-2005, 03:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i disagree, which is odd.

EDIT: I have never eaten at a really good chinese place, so to me it was a drastic improvement. i suppose its a matter of perspective.

PoBoy321
09-06-2005, 03:16 AM
I just remember that there's one next to Caroline's comedy club in Times Square, and i went there over the summer with my gf, and was thinking about going in there to eat, but we had had a late lunch, so we decided to just get appetizers in the comedy club. Anyway, because we didn't eat, we just walked around Times Square and found a Hershey's store which was just like Wonka's Chocolate factory, only real, and now I want to take a trip to Hershey Park.

chuddo
09-06-2005, 03:19 AM
i was happy to see all of the initial comments that it would be a good call.

bummed to see it equated to a chinese olive garden.

but i am not looking for it to be somewhere incredibly impressive or romantic or anything. just somewhere decently nice.

as per me not liking chinese, i am always up for trying to find something that i do like so that's no big wup.

PoBoy321
09-06-2005, 03:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
as per me not liking chinese, i am always up for trying to find something that i do like so that's no big wup.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's fine, but I think that you would do well not to be too adventurous with food on a first date. The last thing you want is to be distracted by the fact that the food you're trying to eat makes you want to vomit.

mikech
09-06-2005, 03:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I just remember that there's one next to Caroline's comedy club in Times Square

[/ QUOTE ]
you're thinking of ruby foo's, not pf chang's.

PoBoy321
09-06-2005, 03:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I just remember that there's one next to Caroline's comedy club in Times Square

[/ QUOTE ] you're thinking of ruby foo's, not pf chang's.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, maybe you're right, I don't know. They all look the same to me.

thatpfunk
09-06-2005, 03:40 AM
Expensive? Where the [censored] do you guys eat?

It is cheap and always decent/good. For two people, an app (girls love the lettuce wraps) and two entrees ends up ~30. And you are completely full.

It is good for first dateish type stuff- not expensive, good atmosphere, doesn't have a cheap stigma like Olive Garden, etc. I disagree with that comparison as well. Olive Garden just sucks, PF changs leaves you satisfied for what you paid for.

sublime
09-06-2005, 03:46 AM

see, i think olive garden is closer in comparison to IHOP than PFC.

chuddo
09-06-2005, 03:55 AM
good to know.

p.f. changs it is.

if anyone wants a full report i should have one thursday as we are going out wednesday.

also going to see broken flowers after dinner, so i can report on that.

jakethebake
09-06-2005, 06:52 AM
Reasonably good food is you're willing to overpay and stand in line for three hours.

ethan
09-06-2005, 07:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup. Were I to have dinner at one of the two I'd choose P.F. Chang's over Olive Garden though. Not being familiar with Louisville, my guess is that there's better Chinese available in your area. This is a very "safe" choice for a date restaurant. The food will be fine, and in fact probably pretty tasty. But you most definitely have more interesting options available.

On a related note - if anyone's been to/is considering going to the P.F. Chang's in Santa Monica, it's just to the East of a Japanese tapas place called Musha. Go to Musha instead (424 Wilshire Blvd). Order the mackerel and whatever else looks good, you'll be happier than you would be at Chang's.

jakethebake
09-06-2005, 07:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Very good analogy. I like the Olive Garden, but I don't try to pretend it's real Italian food.

Slow Play Ray
09-06-2005, 08:13 AM
haven't read any replies, but:

lettuce wraps

everything else is just okay.

09-06-2005, 08:28 AM
chicken lettuce wraps

kung pao scallops...yummmmm

jakethebake
09-06-2005, 08:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Expensive? Where the [censored] do you guys eat?

It is cheap and always decent/good. For two people, an app (girls love the lettuce wraps) and two entrees ends up ~30. And you are completely full.

It is good for first dateish type stuff- not expensive, good atmosphere, doesn't have a cheap stigma like Olive Garden, etc. I disagree with that comparison as well. Olive Garden just sucks, PF changs leaves you satisfied for what you paid for.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's cheap for a nice restaurant. It's not cheap for faux Chinese food.

thatpfunk
09-06-2005, 08:33 AM
Perhaps I was hasty by calling it cheap.

I just don't see it as expensive.

Take out for my roomate and I:
Shrimp Fried Rice
Orange Chicken
$18
plus there are always left overs. Not my idea of expensive.

Mars357
09-06-2005, 10:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
kicks ass

[/ QUOTE ]

correia
09-06-2005, 10:52 AM
I recommend the mongolian beef, it was delicious.

morgan180
09-06-2005, 10:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i was going to say it's the chipotle of asian food. nice one.

Rootabager
09-07-2005, 02:09 PM
No one wants to hear your date report. But I reckon when it happens so infrequently it might warrant a post.

jakethebake
09-07-2005, 02:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i was going to say it's the chipotle of asian food. nice one.

[/ QUOTE ]

nice

09-07-2005, 03:15 PM
PF Chang's is great.

Olive Garden blows.

I'm very very snobby about food in general, especially chinese food. PF Chang's is anything but a chinese olive garden.

The lettuce wraps are great, but the Orange Peel Beef is far and away the best Chinese dish I've ever had at a restaraunt that price range.

jakethebake
09-07-2005, 03:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
PF Chang's is great.

Olive Garden blows.

I'm very very snobby about food in general, especially chinese food. PF Chang's is anything but a chinese olive garden.

The lettuce wraps are great, but the Orange Peel Beef is far and away the best Chinese dish I've ever had at a restaraunt that price range.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a very funny post.

09-07-2005, 03:40 PM
Thanks Tiger

drewjustdrew
09-07-2005, 04:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
thanks for the info.

so i shouldnt opt for wearing the jeans + nice dress shirt untucked and sandals standard clothing eh?

also, any other suggestions regarding food?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you are safe in that attire, but I also think it looks stupid. But I'm not 21 either. That look would be hot on a chick though.

drewjustdrew
09-07-2005, 04:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]

see, i think olive garden is closer in comparison to IHOP than PFC.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would compare PF Changs closer to a Cheesecake Factory than Olive Garden.