PDA

View Full Version : your favorite band that no one has ever heard of

trying2learn
09-05-2005, 10:50 PM
So I figured out that most of my problem with the repeating band threads is that you get the same answers everytime...either they love the beatles, the stones, pink floyd, dream theater, radiohead, elliot smith, rush whatever...

but I'd like to hear about bands that haven't really broke and you need to get word of mouth to hear about.

I'll start with my fav - Roger Clyne & The Peacemakers, out of Tempe, AZ...americana/alt country I guess best pigeon holes them.

There are probably some people who have heard of them, but without a label (they put out their own records) odds are you were a fan of a former band or have seen them live to know who they are.

I'd like to find more bands like this...yours?

PoBoy321
09-05-2005, 10:52 PM
The Alabama Bluefish Donkey kickers

rusellmj
09-05-2005, 10:52 PM
Right up there with Chuck Hall and The Brick Wall.

kerssens
09-05-2005, 10:53 PM
I was gonna just make something up but didn't....yet.

whiskeytown
09-05-2005, 10:55 PM
Vigilantes of Love - and the further efforts of it's frontman, Bill Mallonee -

out of Athens, GA - had some major label in the mid 90's that shafted them and they've been shafted ever since, but I love Bill's music -

www.parting-shot.com (http://www.parting-shot.com)
www.billmallonee.net (http://www.billmallonee.net)

RB

whiskeytown
09-05-2005, 10:56 PM
I heard of Roger Kline, but mostly cause I was reading up on the Tempe AZ scene because of Doug Hopkins (now dead alcoholic songwriter with the Gin Blossoms) -

Think they wrote a song with him or in tribute to him...

RB

shant
09-05-2005, 10:56 PM
The Sean Connery Explosion

irishpint
09-05-2005, 10:57 PM
heiruspecs, coming straight out of st paul.

trying2learn
09-05-2005, 10:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I heard of Roger Kline, but mostly cause I was reading up on the Tempe AZ scene because of Doug Hopkins (now dead alcoholic songwriter with the Gin Blossoms) -

Think they wrote a song with him or in tribute to him...

RB

[/ QUOTE ]

all true - the tune is called, 'tributary otis' and is great - written for doug.

and to the guy who thought chuck hall and the brick wall was a joke - it wasn't - he also did a tribute song for hopkins since he is from the same area.

mason55
09-05-2005, 11:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

are they really still that small? i think anyone in the underground rap scene has probably heard of them, if nothing else from when they're backing up Slug.

rusellmj
09-05-2005, 11:06 PM
Eh, I didn't think my reply was a joke.

TheBlueMonster
09-05-2005, 11:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The Alabama Bluefish Donkey kickers

[/ QUOTE ]
Now that's a mutha f-ing name!

scotty34
09-05-2005, 11:09 PM
Acid Reign & Olmeca
One Sin For All
Cyne
Non-Phixion (some may know of this one, I'm not sure)

Wozza
09-05-2005, 11:10 PM
Cold Chisel

rustyboy
09-05-2005, 11:20 PM
My two new bands are Troubled Hubble (http://troubledhubble.com)and Miranda Sound (http://mirandasound.com). TH is from chicago, and Miranda Sound is a Columbus band.

whiskeytown
09-05-2005, 11:23 PM
as a songwriter, I am qualified to say this -

Doug Hopkins was the bomb - and everything he wrote in the Gin Blossoms was great, and it's a [censored] waste what happened to him, cause I think the band would have stayed on top for a long time if he was still writing some of the songs -

here's a great tribute page to Doug Hopkins (http://www.alphalink.com.au/~ord/doughopkins/)

RB

whiskeytown
09-05-2005, 11:23 PM
christ, I'm from the Minneapolis music scene, and I never heard of them - LOL

RB

KingCon
09-05-2005, 11:26 PM
The Walkmen, go to Itunes and listen to their song THE RAT

mikeyvegas
The Spazmatics (http://www.thespazmatics.net/)

sam h
The Crapenters

DarkForceRising
09-05-2005, 11:32 PM
Bruce Cockburn (pronounced "Coburn" you pervs).

Although I am sure many astute music fans have heard of him it is nevertheless unfortunate that such a brilliant, crtically acclaimed artist has been around for 25 or 30 years and yet never achieved the mainstream recognition he deserves.

NotMitch
09-05-2005, 11:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So I figured out that most of my problem with the repeating band threads is that you get the same answers everytime...either they love the beatles, the stones, pink floyd, dream theater, radiohead, elliot smith, rush whatever...

but I'd like to hear about bands that haven't really broke and you need to get word of mouth to hear about.

I'll start with my fav - Roger Clyne & The Peacemakers, out of Tempe, AZ...americana/alt country I guess best pigeon holes them.

There are probably some people who have heard of them, but without a label (they put out their own records) odds are you were a fan of a former band or have seen them live to know who they are.

I'd like to find more bands like this...yours?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think more people would be more familiar fir Roger Clyne's former band The Refreshments.

My choice for unknown bands would be Polaris. Polaris (warning sound) (http://www.mezzotint.com/polaris/)

bravos1
09-05-2005, 11:35 PM
Rusty Nipples.. though they parted about 8 months ago and created 2 new bands... Purple Prison Hell and I don't know the other..

irishpint
09-05-2005, 11:36 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En respuesta a:</font><hr />

[/ QUOTE ]

not that small, not that good.

irishpint
09-05-2005, 11:38 PM

[/ QUOTE ]

are they really still that small? i think anyone in the underground rap scene has probably heard of them, if nothing else from when they're backing up Slug.

[/ QUOTE ]

i went to a show of theirs in seattle and there were like 7 people there. they are better than that.

SL__72
09-05-2005, 11:49 PM
heiruspecs is a good choice.

Another twin cities band, Liar's Club, would be my pick.

MrWookie47
09-05-2005, 11:50 PM
Spaceman Spiff out of SoCal, and We Are Scientists, originally from Claremont, CA, but I don't know where they're basing from now.

Kanchi
09-05-2005, 11:56 PM
Probably noone here has heard of them but Downy.

noise + Radiohead = [censored] good

mason55
09-05-2005, 11:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i went to a show of theirs in seattle and there were like 7 people there. they are better than that.

[/ QUOTE ]

wow i'd love to see them live. that's too bad they don't get any love. do they get good turn outs when the play the twin cities?

UncleRemus
09-06-2005, 12:31 AM
Kevin Gilbert (along with all the bands he formed.) Some of you may know him as the guy Sheryl Crow screwed over years ago (Listen to "Fun"). It's a shame he died of Autoerotic Asphyxiation in the mid 90's, as he was a musical genius, as well as a fantastic lyricist, with so much more to give.

He was working on a rock opera "The Shaming of the True" when he died, which some close friends finished up for him, and it was released by his estate. I may be a bit biased as I'm a huge fan of rock operas and concept albums, but I truly believe this to be one of the greatest records ever released. Everyone should check it out.

Spladle Master
09-06-2005, 12:32 AM
Say Anything

Tuco
09-06-2005, 12:37 AM
Out hud.

Tuco.

mason55
09-06-2005, 12:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Out hud.

Tuco.

[/ QUOTE ]

Way too mainstream

irishpint
09-06-2005, 12:42 AM

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

wow i'd love to see them live. that's too bad they don't get any love. do they get good turn outs when the play the twin cities?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've seen them in the twin cities 3 times and every time it has been fairly packed. You're right, they did a song w/ slug and sort of run w/ that circle in minnesota so they get some attention from that but not too much. All in all I thought their shows were great because they aren't that big a name and anyone who is there is there because they really like their music. And since they play all their own instruments it makes the live experience much better.

Drew16
09-06-2005, 12:47 AM
VHS or Beta

mason55
09-06-2005, 12:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
VHS or Beta

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I saw their CD on the endcap at Best Buy the other day.

Tuco
09-06-2005, 12:52 AM
Really?

I never listen to the radio and I guess I thought since i've never heard of them that noone had. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Tuco.

smokingrobot
09-06-2005, 12:56 AM
Lenola

check out my invisible name, kind of my bloody valentine/mercury rev/good ol' rock 'n roll.

mason55
09-06-2005, 01:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Really?

I never listen to the radio and I guess I thought since i've never heard of them that noone had. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Tuco.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you just recommend something you've never heard of? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

They're not close to radio airplay but they're much too big for "bands no one has ever heard of" thread.

Stellastarr
09-06-2005, 01:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I love the walkmen.

OrangeCat
09-06-2005, 01:02 AM
Burning Water or the Raging Honkies.

Both featured a most excellent guitar player named Mike Landau. It's jazz/rock/fusion like Hendrix might play if he were alive. ML is a top LA session player and can be heard on a zillion recordings. He still plays pretty regular at the Baked Potato in North Hollywood. Any of you LA guys should definately check him out.

Stellastarr
09-06-2005, 01:04 AM
Stellastarr, The Spinto Band.

Drew16
09-06-2005, 01:08 AM
I hope you bought it, if not, go back right now and buy it.

mason55
09-06-2005, 01:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I hope you bought it, if not, go back right now and buy it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have both their releases. Don't really like either one.

Harv72b
09-06-2005, 01:14 AM
All time: Savatage (still kind of together as the Trans-Siberian Orchestra).

More recent: Vegas DeMilo (San Fran/Bay Area band that I stumbled upon when I was living in Monterey. I don't think they're together anymore either, tho. /images/graemlins/frown.gif)

smokingrobot
09-06-2005, 01:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Non-Phixion (some may know of this one, I'm not sure)

[/ QUOTE ]

they're from philly. good [censored].

smokingrobot
09-06-2005, 01:16 AM
they're on a pretty big indie label now arent they?

smokingrobot
09-06-2005, 01:18 AM
Plastik Little (or plastic little)

philly hip hop.

smokingrobot
09-06-2005, 01:19 AM
gonna add lenola broke up and some of the guys formed as Garden State (the band), but because of the movie they are now Like A Fox.

mason55
09-06-2005, 01:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yes. i'm not sure how anyone thinks they're going to name a band that no one has heard of, even local [censored], unless it's something that's not worth listening to. maybe some local band in podunk, south dakota, but what's the point of that anyways? actually... what IS the point of listing bands that no one has heard of? how can we discuss them if no one else has heard them?

that's why I haven't even bothered listing anything in this thread.

non-phixion is good [censored] though.

trying2learn
09-06-2005, 01:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yes. i'm not sure how anyone thinks they're going to name a band that no one has heard of, even local [censored], unless it's something that's not worth listening to. maybe some local band in podunk, south dakota, but what's the point of that anyways? actually... what IS the point of listing bands that no one has heard of? how can we discuss them if no one else has heard them?

that's why I haven't even bothered listing anything in this thread.

non-phixion is good [censored] though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I want to find stuff that I don't find through normal channels...and have already found two new bands that interest me very much through this thread.

if you don't get it, don't read it - that's cool.

smokingrobot
09-06-2005, 01:31 AM
i listed my friend's band, and this other local group.

gotta support the local scene yo

smokingrobot
09-06-2005, 01:33 AM
another friend of mine is in a band, Hail Social.

They opened up for Interpol, Secret Machines, and some others...

a lot of hype... although i wouldnt say they are incredible, but definately a good listen.

chuddo
09-06-2005, 01:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

one of my favorite songs in he past 3 years or so.

Brainwalter
09-06-2005, 01:36 AM
I thought it was coheed and cambria until there was a thread here about them.

chuddo
09-06-2005, 01:36 AM
'okkervil river' is one.

'the lucksmith's is another.

both aren't too terribly obscure that one would have trouble finding their music.

mason55
09-06-2005, 01:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]

I want to find stuff that I don't find through normal channels...and have already found two new bands that interest me very much through this thread.

if you don't get it, don't read it - that's cool.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, that's cool, I thought it was supposed to be a discussion thread, not a suggestion thread.

Jack of Arcades
09-06-2005, 01:58 AM
The Postman Syndrome

MEbenhoe
09-06-2005, 02:08 AM
The Kissers

Eihli
09-06-2005, 02:09 AM
nm

BruceZ
09-06-2005, 02:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
as a songwriter, I am qualified to say this -

Doug Hopkins was the bomb - and everything he wrote in the Gin Blossoms was great, and it's a [censored] waste what happened to him, cause I think the band would have stayed on top for a long time if he was still writing some of the songs -

here's a great tribute page to Doug Hopkins (http://www.alphalink.com.au/~ord/doughopkins/)

RB

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course I couldn't agree more, but they wrote some great stuff after he was gone too as we discussed (http://archiveserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&amp;Number=331177&amp;page=&amp;view=&amp;sb =5&amp;o=&amp;vc=1). It makes me very sad and confused about why they are doing little nickel and dime gigs instead of taking their place among the greatest bands of our time.

tinga81
09-06-2005, 02:54 AM
Wookiefoot

private joker
09-06-2005, 03:13 AM
The Lucksmiths
The Push Kings
Aberdeen

[Also, count in with the many (here in L.A., it's thousands) who think "The Rat" by the Walkmen is one of the best rock songs of the decade -- unknown? ha!]

EDIT: Wow, someone already mentioned the Lucksmiths. Cool

ddubois
09-06-2005, 03:39 AM
I used to go see Liquid Soul (http://www.liquidsoul.com/liquid-soul.htm) on Sunday nights play back in Chicago in the mid 90s at a night club (whose name I didn't remember, but found on their site = Elbo Room). Apparently they've done well sense then, "nominated for a 2000 Grammy Award for Best Contemporary Jazz Album". Anyone heard of them?

whiskeytown
09-06-2005, 04:30 AM
True...

I remember reading one time about an A&amp;M executive discussing how pissed he was about their 2nd album's promotional budget being dropped after a month...(wanna say it was the head A&amp;R guy)

maybe it was gonna happen anyways, but Doug was still great....either way, it's clear their 2nd album didn't get the vibe/promotional push it should have for a band of it's stature after the first album.

one way or another, sorry to have lost him. He was singularly, a great songwriter, period.

RB

daveymck
09-06-2005, 04:52 AM
THeres loads of obscure metal bands I could go for but I will go for a more mainstream rock band who are playing the States later in the year. New Model Army might be a bit british for some of you but have a listen to the Albums Thunder and Consolation or Ghost of Cain (Sepultura did a cover of a song on this album on Chaos AD).

Redmen62
09-06-2005, 05:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Although I am sure many astute music fans have heard of him it is nevertheless unfortunate that such a brilliant, crtically acclaimed artist has been around for 25 or 30 years and yet never achieved the mainstream recognition he deserves.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, good pick. My first concert ever was Cockburn when I was maybe 10 or so, my mom and dad had tickets and mom was sick. Figure he wouldn't get much play in the states because of his political slant (If I Had A Rocket Launcher, etc.)

edfurlong
09-06-2005, 05:25 AM
Metallica.

DasLeben
09-06-2005, 05:30 AM
Megaherz and Oomph. Both are in a lot of ways superior to Rammstein, but Rammstein just happens to be the well-known Krautrock band out here.

thatpfunk
09-06-2005, 05:31 AM
c24c

09-06-2005, 06:42 AM
House of Moist from Houston.

jakethebake
09-06-2005, 09:00 AM
The Bluerunners (although some of the folks here from La. may have heard of them)

Johnny Law

Bill Carter &amp; the Blame

Filip
09-06-2005, 09:09 AM
I like Zodiac Mindwarp (http://www.zodiacmindwarp.com/)

backseat education, yeah baby

johnnycakes
09-06-2005, 09:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]

The Push Kings

[/ QUOTE ]

I just want to warn anyone who might track down this band's music to avoid their last LP "Feel No Fade". That was one big stinking turd pile. The other two full lengths are awesome though. These ratings are accurate. (http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&amp;token=ADFEAEE57B1ED94BAB7020CE9D374A C7AD53FA06CB50FF8118294659C9A63847834375EE51E9D8CD B1FA27E12CECB327BB5C10D1CAEE53B0D56C3C3C87EFA07049 43&amp;searchlink=PUSH|KINGS&amp;uid=CAW010509060911&amp;sampl es=1&amp;sql=11:kueyxdaboolf~T2)

IndieMatty
09-06-2005, 09:18 AM
Third Eye Blind

jakethebake
09-06-2005, 09:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Third Eye Blind

[/ QUOTE ]

This was awesome only because of who posted it. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

jokerthief
09-06-2005, 09:34 AM
Santa Got Drunk Again

Los Feliz Slim
09-06-2005, 09:41 AM
Bling Kong (http://www.blingkong.com/)

Mars357
09-06-2005, 10:24 AM
Blue Rodeo (http://www.bluerodeo.com)

glen
09-06-2005, 10:26 AM
Ambulance Ltd.

RunDownHouse
09-06-2005, 10:32 AM
2 Skinnee J's?

Brain
09-06-2005, 10:53 AM
Get Off My Sister

TheBlueMonster
09-06-2005, 11:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
why they are doing little nickel and dime gigs instead of taking their place among the greatest bands of our time.

[/ QUOTE ]
Hey would call performing at University of Maryland a nickel and dime gig /images/graemlins/grin.gif

DarkForceRising
09-06-2005, 12:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, good pick. My first concert ever was Cockburn when I was maybe 10 or so, my mom and dad had tickets and mom was sick. Figure he wouldn't get much play in the states because of his political slant (If I Had A Rocket Launcher, etc.)

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a community radio station that turned me onto him. His music is just pure class. Isn't he the head of some Canadian commission on de-landmining Zimbabwe or something?

trying2learn
09-06-2005, 12:39 PM
I have another one too - The Piperdowns, out of LA. They won Sammy Hagar's Cabo Wabo National Battle of the Bands, and are excellent.

B Dids
09-06-2005, 01:00 PM
Can-U!!

smokingrobot
09-06-2005, 02:21 PM
i'd check 'em out if they won a David Lee Roth award, but since its Sammy Hagar, no thanks.

The Yugoslavian
09-06-2005, 02:23 PM
KGB
The Movies

Yugoslav

mike l.
09-06-2005, 02:24 PM
anything that was on my defunct record label, blackbean and placenta (or bbptc for short). we put out a lot of good obscure stuff.

wayabvpar
09-06-2005, 02:37 PM
Jumbalassy (http://www.jumbalassy.com/)

Just a fantastic live show, and their albums are good too.

sfer
09-06-2005, 02:40 PM
Jonathan Richman

Slow Play Ray
09-06-2005, 02:41 PM
rooftop suicide club (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000A8AXAY/qid=1126031314/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/102-5043506-0572942?v=glance&amp;s=music&amp;n=507846)

The band's website (http://www.rooftopsuicideclub.com/space.htm) is currently in shambles, but usually they have lots of free stuff posted.

Femto
09-06-2005, 03:00 PM
Rainer Ptacek. RIP.

Femto
09-06-2005, 03:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Jonathan Richman

[/ QUOTE ]I pity the fool who hasn't heard of him. He's fairly big.

Your Mom
09-06-2005, 03:41 PM
Hum

trying2learn
09-06-2005, 03:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hum

[/ QUOTE ]

they were fairly successful...not a good answer.

09-06-2005, 03:52 PM
the descendents

smokingrobot
09-06-2005, 04:19 PM
he does all those songs in something about mary.

Kevmath
09-06-2005, 04:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hum

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They had another song besides "Stars"?

mason55
09-06-2005, 06:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
the descendents

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Just obscure enough that you might think they are obscure but way way way way way way way too big to be in a thread about "band's no one's heard of"

mason55
09-06-2005, 07:01 PM
Finally though of something obscure enough that I felt comfortable posting it.

Gym Class Heroes.

From Geneva, NY (near Rochester), they do live hip-hop in the form of the Roots or Heiruspecs (mentioned earlier)

http://www.gymclassheroes.com/index2.html

Has some sample songs to DL. Although I'm pretty sure a few of the Rochesterites on here have heard of them.

PTjvs
09-06-2005, 07:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hum

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They had another song besides "Stars"?

[/ QUOTE ]

One that got radio play? no.

Realistically, maybe 1 person in 100 in the US knows who Hum is. Hum seems like a fine answer.

jvs

09-06-2005, 08:11 PM
A brilliant ska band called Pain. Extremely funny.

Cry Me A River
09-06-2005, 09:05 PM
Richard Cheese (http://www.iloverichardcheese.com/) (Trust me on this one...)