PDA

View Full Version : $50+5: playing JJ

ChuckNorris
09-05-2005, 10:01 PM
What's your line?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Hero (t985)
UTG+2 (t1090)
MP1 (t1055)
MP2 (t915)
MP3 (t975)
CO (t1000)
Button (t975)
SB (t970)
BB (t920)
UTG (t1115)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t50</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 raises to t125</font>, <font color="#666666">7 folds</font>, Hero calls t75.

Flop: (t272.50) 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

The Don
09-05-2005, 10:30 PM
Horrible spot... probably check-folding. It is hard to imagine he would make this "I want a call" re-raise from EP with AK or 1010.

09-05-2005, 11:22 PM
I'm not sure that it is too unlikely he has AK, but with the likely higher pockets here then you cannot really commit yourself. You could throw a bet out to see where you are, but check fold is a very safe option this early.

Assuming you do not hit the J on the flop, was it really worth calling the raise? Undercards and you are in the current unknown position, overcards and you are even worse.

ChuckNorris
09-05-2005, 11:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Assuming you do not hit the J on the flop, was it really worth calling the raise? Undercards and you are in the current unknown position, overcards and you are even worse.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a good question. However, from time to time people miniraise with good but not great hands too, just because they're donks who don't quite understand the idea of no-limit I guess, so I thought it might just be worth it. The implied odds for hitting a set are pretty nice too. After deciding it's worth a call preflop I couldn't just check-fold the 2nd best possible flop for me.

So, on the flop I thought for a while whether or not I should check/raise. I didn't, since I didn't want to lose my whole stack. I bet 2/3 pot or something like that, villain miniraised, and I folded. Comments?

09-05-2005, 11:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a good question. However, from time to time people miniraise with good but not great hands too, just because they're donks who don't quite understand the idea of no-limit I guess, so I thought it might just be worth it. The implied odds for hitting a set are pretty nice too. After deciding it's worth a call preflop I couldn't just check-fold the 2nd best possible flop for me.

So, on the flop I thought for a while whether or not I should check/raise. I didn't, since I didn't want to lose my whole stack. I bet 2/3 pot or something like that, villain miniraised, and I folded. Comments?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would often call the raise preflop, on some days I may stupidly reraise. I may just think about that again in future and fold.

I think I would put a small bet in and play it the same way as yourself.

Dan Rutter
09-05-2005, 11:59 PM
I think calling the min-raise PF was ok, it is probably boarderline, but the reasons you give are pretty good.

After the flop I would very likely take the same line you did. CRs risks way too many chips. This is probably a spot to take a stab, and hope to pick up the pot. Do you have any information on your opponent on how he may play hands on a flop this type. Is he one to re-raise your flop raise with AK, hoping you will figure him for a high pocket pair. Along those lines will he just call with a high pocket pair on a flop of that type in order to induce another bet on the turn from you.

handsome
09-06-2005, 01:10 AM
I limp preflop.

09-06-2005, 01:23 AM
Considering the fact that you called his "I want a call" preflop raise (as stated earlier), you must have been calling for set value. Did you hit a set?

ace_in_the_hole
09-06-2005, 01:24 AM
This early in the game and in EP I treat JJ like 88 and limp for set value maybe call a small raise preflop.

LotsOfOuts69
09-06-2005, 02:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I limp preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

ChuckNorris
09-06-2005, 02:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Considering the fact that you called his "I want a call" preflop raise (as stated earlier), you must have been calling for set value. Did you hit a set?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you read what I posted you must know that I didn't call for set value only.

Taraz
09-06-2005, 06:14 AM
I would also limp preflop just to avoid this type of thing.

After we get here however, is everybody that confident that the reraise by the villain should be respected? It seems like there are waaaaaaaaaay too many bad players even at the $55s to give him that much credit in the first 5 hands of the SNG.

I don't really like betting out just because villain might call w/ overcards and then we have an even tougher decision to make on the turn.

Check-folding is probably the safe play. But I think I might check-raise all-in because I don't know who the guy is and if I lose I can fire up another and tell myself "hourly rate considerations" . . .

ChuckNorris
09-06-2005, 10:13 PM
I'm not limping hooks preflop, na'ah. You can search for threads about this endless debate if you want to know why, or think about it a little by yourselves. Limping JJ is just weak/tight.

[ QUOTE ]

I don't really like betting out just because villain might call w/ overcards and then we have an even tougher decision to make on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't have any trouble check/folding the turn if they call me.

09-07-2005, 01:49 PM
This is why I'm beginning to think that folding JJ to any reraise early on is a good idea. What ever comes on the flop (apart from a jack) you are in a tough situation.