PDA

View Full Version : Small List of People Who Did Kick Ass in Katrina's Wake

cadillac1234
09-05-2005, 09:36 PM
-US Coast Guard and Army Corps of Engineers- Bravo guys. You did your jobs and didn't wait for a formal invitation to do it

-State of Texas My favorite whipping boys stepped up to the plate and showed some real balls and compassion

-Wal-Mart- Sent in supplies to stricken areas before FEMA even got their trucks moving. BTW they were #2 on my personal hate list before Katrina

-Salvation Army and local church groups-Instead of figuring out their telethon schedules they were helping victims immediately

-Hilton Hotels Sending in supplies and paying for private security and transport for their guests. Talk about customer service

-NOLA PD, FD and the Hospital Staff- Despite their MIAs no one should ever go through what they had to go through. I doubt they'll ever be able to work again

Fox News- They had the best coverage and Sheppard Smith actually had the balls to tell it like it was and stand up to Hannity's nonsense.

Anderson Cooper- This guy is a badass and helped get the message out that the Feds were doing nothing

-Private citizens in the Gulf Coast that decided saving their fellow man was more important than worrying about their possessions

2+2's Zulu King- Gave me faith that someone still cares

US Military- When they were finally allowed to act they did exactly what we knew they could, did it quickly and efficiently. The next DHS and FEMA directors need to be a hardass military colonel or general

Finally that vast majority of all the victims that did what they could to survive and didn't take advantage of others misfortunes.

I'm sure there are many, many more but it's soo easy to lose track of the good people with so much coverage of the incompetence and the dirt balls.

-

Arnfinn Madsen
09-05-2005, 09:45 PM
Good, don't let the failure of an organisation (in this case the government) let you lose the optimism for humanity. Most people want do good in such situations unless they panic or are psychopats. Those highest up in the chain, like Bush, may have lost much of his empathy (workrelated damage, launching war to secure strategic oil supply interests add to that), but also he probably worked his ass off to save as many as possible.

09-05-2005, 09:45 PM
Great post. A story that I was also impressed by was about sheriffs from New Orleans I believe who needed to evacuate a prison and there was no other way to initially get to it so they all swam far distances with sets of handcuffs held in their teeth.

Also, I'm not normally into anchor people who get unprofessionally emotional at every turn like Nancy Grace, but when Sheppard Smith and also Geraldo really painted a human face on the ordeal with their passionate shows of frustration with the lack of proper assistance, that made Fox News coverage fantastic. Something I don't often say about Fox.

newfant
09-05-2005, 09:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Also, I'm not normally into anchor people who get unprofessionally emotional at every turn like Nancy Grace, but when Sheppard Smith and also Geraldo really painted a human face on the ordeal with their passionate shows of frustration with the lack of proper assistance, that made Fox News coverage fantastic. Something I don't often say about Fox.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought Geraldo did a tremendous job. Sometimes he let his emotions get away with him and started rambling, but he obviously cared and tried to help out.

The only people I was really disappointed with were President Bush and FEMA. Everybody else (especially General Honare and the military) did, and are doing, and outstanding job.

09-05-2005, 10:55 PM
Good list.

With all the talk of looters and what went wrong it's easy to overlook the people who kicked ass when needed.

09-06-2005, 02:32 AM
Dont forget talk2bigsteve

webmonarch
09-06-2005, 11:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Fox News- They had the best coverage and Sheppard Smith actually had the balls to tell it like it was and stand up to Hannity's nonsense.

[/ QUOTE ]

You know, I agree that Fox News' coverage has looked very good when I flip through the channels. I simply can't watch it, though, when the coverage is so slanted on other issues.

Before I get berated for this, search for "Fox News Study: in Google. Pretty amazing stuff. Here is one example:

Link One (http://www.alternet.org/story/16892/),