PDA

View Full Version : World class players, world class books

09-05-2005, 09:16 PM
Lederer made beginner DVDs.
Johnny Chan's book is for beginners.
Hellmuth's DVDs are for beginners.

I know that the beginners market is a much bigger market but shouldn't world class players write world class level books too? I mean who doesn't want to enter the mind of Johnny Chan and Howard Lederer as they think about world class plays against world class players.

Stork
09-05-2005, 09:32 PM
Lederer has some very good articles on his website which are way above the beginner level.

jmillerdls
09-05-2005, 10:03 PM
link?

Sakuraba
09-05-2005, 10:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
link?

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, how lazy can you be?

www.google.com (http://www.google.com)

type "howard lederer" and hit the enter key

click on the first link

click on the words "poker articles"

Dynasty
09-06-2005, 04:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
link?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You'll give him this link but not the direct one?

Stork
09-06-2005, 05:11 AM
It's howardlederer.com

KramerTM
09-06-2005, 10:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
link?

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, how lazy can you be?

type "howard lederer" and hit the enter key

click on the first link

click on the words "poker articles"

[/ QUOTE ]

lol

09-07-2005, 01:54 AM
To answer your question. I think the world class players have something that you can't teach. They have a feel that only comes through experience. I have taught people Russian. They have to think about it when they make up sentences, I don't. It comes natural to me (it is my native tongue afterall). The same with the pros. They've been in any situation a million times. You and I have to think, sometims long and hard, sometimes quickly. They have such a feel, they don't need to, and no book can teach that, only experience.
I think they provide products to the beginners to increase players in the games.

Mason Malmuth
09-07-2005, 02:02 AM
Hi Mushu:

We do have books by David Sklansky, Ray Zee, and Dan Harrington. I think that all of them are recognized by almost everyone as being "world class."

Best wishes,
Mason

benkahuna
09-07-2005, 02:41 AM
Mason, reread the OP. You missed the point.

09-07-2005, 12:15 PM
I have read Sklansky's Hold Em For Advanced Players (even though I don't play limit...gonna start though), haven't read Harrington. I don't think Mason missed the point. I think Sklansky provides in that book the concepts he uses as a basis for many of his decisions. It's up to the player to decide when to deviate from those concepts [ QUOTE ]
However, after you have gained the requisite experience, you will begin to see where it is appropriate to deviate from "correct" strategy and you will begin to think in terms of the actual hand itself rather than hand "groups." page 5

[/ QUOTE ] A book can't teach that, only playing can.
By the way, Mason is "world class" as well.

benkahuna
09-07-2005, 02:35 PM
The OP complained that there are not books aimed at teaching world class play and mentioned books for beginners written by world class players.

Mason replied that 2+2 has world class players as authors!

Am I the only one with any reading comprehension ability here?

Mason's response was a red herring and you just made up a bunch of stuff that Mason might have said if he decided to actually address the question by the OP.

I have a great deal of respect for Mason, but if he's not going to take the necessary 10 seconds to read and comprehend our posts, I think he deserves to be called on it. It's only fair.

With my reply, my hope was that Mason would address the OP's concern.

If I'm an interviewer and Mason answers a question like he did, there's a good chance he doesn't get the job.

MyTurn2Raise
09-07-2005, 03:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
To answer your question. I think the world class players have something that you can't teach. They have a feel that only comes through experience. I have taught people Russian. They have to think about it when they make up sentences, I don't. It comes natural to me (it is my native tongue afterall). The same with the pros. They've been in any situation a million times. You and I have to think, sometims long and hard, sometimes quickly. They have such a feel, they don't need to, and no book can teach that, only experience.
I think they provide products to the beginners to increase players in the games.

[/ QUOTE ]

See the book "sources of Power" by Gary Klein and related books. It deals with why one might have a 'feel' for the game.

DrunkHamster
09-07-2005, 05:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hi Mushu:

We do have books by David Sklansky, Ray Zee, and Dan Harrington. I think that all of them are recognized by almost everyone as being "world class."

Best wishes,
Mason

[/ QUOTE ]

What about Ed Miller /images/graemlins/grin.gif

DyessMan89
09-07-2005, 06:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hi Mushu:

Best wishes,
Mason

[/ QUOTE ]

Modest Mason is in the house.

Sakuraba
09-07-2005, 06:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
link?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You'll give him this link but not the direct one?

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe he won't have to ask next time.

Mason Malmuth
09-07-2005, 07:56 PM
To answer this question, it's our experience that the beginner market is not that big. In fact, the very serious market is where most of the sales are at. Just go to Amazon and look at sales ranks.

As for some of these world class players putting out beginner stuff, I think they misunderstand the market and it's easy (and quick) to do beginner stuff.

Best wishes,
Mason

benkahuna
09-08-2005, 02:25 AM
I don't think there really are world class books largely because there is a limited amount of play that is world class and the world class players don't want to give away trade secrets. Additionally, the world class market is very small.

Barry's book is sort of world class in spirit. He seems to indicate that if your game is perfect in high limit that by applying the concepts in his book you can reach big limit.