PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone here use Vonage?

chesspain
09-05-2005, 07:43 PM
As I began investigating land-line phone service for my new condo, I learned about Vonage VoIP, and thought that the $14.95/month for 500 minutes would be perfect for my needs, and much cheaper than the approx. $40/month basic, traditional phone service would cost.

However, when I went to C'NET, I was taken aback by all of the postings from customers who were disappointed and outraged by their dealings with this company, and more specifically, with the seeming lack of customer service.

Although most of the problems seem to deal with difficulties transfering one's prior land-line (which won't be an issue for me), this could be an issue for my soon-to-be ex-wife, who thought she would switch as well so that we could have unlimited in-network calling, as we will have fully shared custody.

At this point, I am assuming I will avoid Vonage unless I can be convinced otherwise.

kenberman
09-05-2005, 07:53 PM
I use it. it's fine.

Randy_Refeld
09-05-2005, 08:00 PM
I use Vonage. I wasn't able to keep my old phone number but it works fine. After taxes my bill is $27 a month for unlimited calling to the US and Canada.

rmarotti
09-05-2005, 08:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I use it. it's fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

kdog
09-05-2005, 09:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Although most of the problems seem to deal with difficulties transfering one's prior land-line (which won't be an issue for me), this could be an issue for my soon-to-be ex-wife, who thought she would switch as well so that we could have unlimited in-network calling, as we will have fully shared custody.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not all numbers can be transferred and for those that can there is a waiting period of up to 20 days while they get it done. You can check on the website whether or not yours can be transferred.

jakethebake
09-05-2005, 09:22 PM
I use lingo. it works fine too. No taxes. it's like 14.95/mo.

wacki
09-05-2005, 09:54 PM
I've had zero problems with Skype.

touchfaith
09-05-2005, 10:01 PM
Edjumacate me.

From a consumer standpoint, what is the attraction to VoIP?

The dialtone is one of, if not the number one piece of technology that is expected to work nearly 100% of the time. To the point that it is taken for granted.

If I don't get dialtone, I fully expect buildings to be burning around me and the ground to open up.

Has VoIP gotten there yet? Last I researched it, it was not.

webmonarch
09-05-2005, 10:59 PM
I use it The only thing I would warn is that depending on how finicky your Internet connection is, it may crap out occasionally. Basically, I have a cell phone and the Vonage, and the combination works well.

Vonage is also great while sitting on hold for a non-toll free number.

One caveat, the number transfer was horrible. I think it may have been Verizon (my previous provider, in my case).

Overall, I think its worthwhile, esp. for the price.

BoogerFace
09-06-2005, 03:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Edjumacate me.

From a consumer standpoint, what is the attraction to VoIP?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think #1 is: Not having to deal with "The Phone Company."

#2 is saving money.

Not there yet? Depends on what you consider VoIP. Telephone service from your cable company is 'there'. I used it for about a year before I decided to go all cellular. Cable phone is as reliable as landline. Voice quality isn't as good, however.

texaspimp
09-06-2005, 03:30 PM
I use Vonage, have no problems, and love the $16.xx bill. Unfortunately, I was not able to transfer my existing number, so we had to keep the bare minimum of landline service, which is ~$20. Overall, I'm still saving almost half each month.

wonderwes
11-28-2005, 04:45 AM
I was considering on signing up for Vonage. The 500 min for $14.95 plan seems like all I need. How soon does it take for the equipment to get sent to your place and the number to get connected? The first month is free right?

11-28-2005, 10:31 AM
I use Vonage and it's great IMO. While reliability of your cable provider could be an issue, it's not a big deal to configure Vonage to route your calls to your cell phone as a back up (in case the internet connection is down). Since I use my cell phone a lot already, I definitely don't mind paying a lot less for the slight possibility of having to use my cell phone as a back up every once in a rare while.

Nicholasp27
11-28-2005, 10:34 AM
i use packet8 (packet8.net)

it's 19.99 for UNLIMITED, which includes anywhere in the US plus Canada and Mexico ( i believe)...also, calls to UK, China, etc are like .05/minute

11-28-2005, 01:07 PM
My Vonage switch went as smooth as silk. Line transferred without problem. I especially love the unlimited long distance.

ScottieK

11-28-2005, 01:11 PM
I got the equipment about a week after I signed up. Yes, the first month is free. NOTE: Make sure you read and follow the instructions re: installation of the phone router. I thought I was a network computer guy who could just install it and do whatever. You need to turn off the computer and your cable modem and reboot things in a certain sequence. After I did that, no problem.

ScottieK