PDA

View Full Version : Taking advantage of weak/tight/passive play

09-05-2005, 06:47 PM
Many of Party Poker (and various skins) middle limit tables ($100 - $200 NL) are characterized by weak/tight/passive play. What's the best way to take advantage of this?

Here's the most common scenario - I raise in middle position to 3x the BB and get one late position caller, both blinds fold. The caller will fold the flop for a pot bet if he missed and will smooth call with anything from an overpair, flush draw, to top pair. Here's my problem; when I have a strong hand like AA, I won't get paid off because I am most likely to be up against a better hand (e.g. set) or underpockets which will just fold the flop.

I've been consistently betting the pot on the flop, every time after raising preflop, and take it down on the flop 75%+ of the time, showing an instant profit. The problem is that I find it very hard to play the later streets. If I have a hand like AA on 258 (rainbow) after a guy calls a pot bet on the flop, should I check/call the turn and river? Do I bet the turn and fold to a raise?

Since my good hands aren't getting paid off, presumably I should be raising many more hands. Then the problem becomes that its very hard to know when I can bluff, and players will soon realize that I give up after getting called on the flop unless I have a very strong hand, so they start taking shots.

Should I bet less on the flop to get more marginal hands to call or to be able to bluff more cheaply?

Niwa
09-05-2005, 06:58 PM
First of all wrong forum.

Second of all, why do you need to pot it on a 258 rainbow flop? and poker is much harder oop.

Third, seems to me like you should practice a bit of game selection and try to find a better game (looser) with players worse than you (no offence)

pokerjoker
09-05-2005, 07:02 PM
1. wrong forum
2. unless you are really tight i doubt people consistantly fold 75% to ur c-bets. If they do then u should be rich
3. is the person you are up against a weak tight set miner? is he on a draw? does he have a lower overpair? does he have top pair? All of these questions are things u should be asking yourself and should be able to approximately answer.
4. against a loose/medium opponent here I betting this
5 against tighter opponents probably check call turn if there are no draws. If there are draws I bet then check call river.