PDA

View Full Version : Playing against a suited flop

slogger
04-22-2003, 12:33 PM
I have a buddy who, when faced with a suited flop, claims he would check/fold anything other than a made flush on such a flop, assuming 6 or more players at the table.

I think his caution is warranted but over-exerted.

I'd like some comments on what any of you would do with the following hands in the following situation:

You're in BB w/ 7 /forums/images/icons/club.gif 7 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif . Pre-flop, 6 players limp, button raises, SB folds, you call, and 5 of the 6 limpers call. 7 see the flop:

4 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif 7 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif Q /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif

Question 1. Action's to you. What is your play?

Assuming you bet it out, 4 of the 5 remaining limpers call, and the pre-flop raiser calls. Turn comes:

2 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif (4 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif 7 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif Q /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif )

You bet it out, 3 of the 4 remaining limpers call, pre-flop raiser call. River comes:

9 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif (2 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif 4 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif 7 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif Q /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif )

Question 2. Your action. What do you do?

Assuming you check and it checks all the way to the pre-flop raiser, who bets.

Question 3. Call, raise or fold?

After you've answered these questions, check my second post to respond how you'd play this hand on the button as the pre-flop raiser.

slogger
04-22-2003, 12:41 PM
OK, you're now the button with A /forums/images/icons/heart.gif A /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif . 6 callers to you, you raise, SB folds, BB calls, 5 limpers stay. 7 to see the flop:

4 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif 7 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif Q /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif

You're four to the nut flush, holding the button. BB bets it out, and 4 limpers call to you.

Question 4. How do you play your aces?

Assuming you call, and turn comes:

2 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif (4 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif 7 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif Q /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif )

BB bets it out, 3 callers to you.

Question 5. Your move?

Homer
04-22-2003, 12:51 PM
Flop - Bet. If it got raised and there were <= 2 opponents I'd probably go into a shell and call it down, assuming the action didn't get too heavy, in which case I'd fold on the river if I didn't fill. If it was raised and there were >2 opponents I'd reraise, basically pumping my draw just as you would with a nut-flush draw.

Turn - Bet again. If someone raises their slowplayed flush I call and hope to fill on the river. There's no way I would check and give someone a free shot at a flush with a single diamond.

River - Check with the intention of folding to a bet, unless the button (PFR) bets. In such a case, I think a raise is in order. The button almost certainly doesn't have a flush based on his actions to this point (he would have raised the flop with so many opponents to pump his big flush draw), so you should raise to eliminate medium to small diamonds. Calling is the next best option, folding is the worst. If the pot were smaller, it would be different.

Homer
04-22-2003, 12:55 PM
On the flop, I raise for value with my nut flush draw (and possibly having the best hand already).

On the turn, I call, getting proper odds to catch a diamond on the river. Some might argue for raising, because against four opponents you are making money if:

1) No one will reraise
2) An A will be good, as well as a diamond

In reality though, I think there is a good chance BB will reraise and there is also a good chance that an Ace will be no good, as someone could already have a small flush.

-- Homer

slogger
04-22-2003, 01:05 PM
On the river, if you did in fact raise the button after he open-bet, would you call a re-raise?

Homer
04-22-2003, 01:13 PM
No way. A reraise on a four-flush board most certainly means a big flush, unless the button is smart enough to know (he isn't) that I am raising only because it appears that he does not have the flush and I wish to shut out opponents with medium-small flushes.

Incidentally, I think it will be interesting to see what others would do on the river. I really think raising is the best option in a pot of this size, though I think in real-time I might wuss out and call, which the more I think about it, might be worse than folding.

-- Homer

Tyler Durden
04-22-2003, 02:22 PM
Question 1: You have an automatic bet on the flop. A checkraise may work also, but that wouldn't be my default play. I don't like risking it getting checked around.

Question 2: I'd either bet and fold to a raise or check and fold if there has been a bet and a call or two. Depends on who your opponents are, of course.