PDA

View Full Version : What is the Moral Thing to Do?

Felix_Nietsche
09-05-2005, 02:46 PM
A Louisiana man was guarding his home New Orleans home when a machete armed thug tried to forcibly enter his house. The home owner told him to get the hell out of his home, the thug told him to cooperate or he would die. The homeowner brandished his shotgun and the thug slowly backed off and left. How should the homeowner have handled that situation?

09-05-2005, 02:53 PM
The only practical and realistic option is #2, which is what the guy did.

BeerMoney
09-05-2005, 02:55 PM
What happens to the next guy the thug encounters who isn't fortunate enough to own a weapon?

He should shoot the thug and do society a HUGE favor.

Felix_Nietsche
09-05-2005, 02:56 PM
Killing this thug will save lives.

jaxmike
09-05-2005, 03:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The only practical and realistic option is #2, which is what the guy did.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't be a coward, pull the trigger.

Felix_Nietsche
09-05-2005, 03:05 PM
You will feel good knowing you made the world a better place.... /images/graemlins/smile.gif

jaxmike
09-05-2005, 03:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You will feel good knowing you made the world a better place.... /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

And safer for EVERYONE in the area. Forget if this guy was going to rob the person next door. Was he going to rape and murder someone next door....

cardcounter0
09-05-2005, 03:10 PM
So the people that shot at the rescue helicopter where just doing the moral thing.... They could have been saving some thugs.

Shoot all relief workers trying to help the victims. We will all be better off without a bunch of trash from LA.

jaxmike
09-05-2005, 03:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So the people that shot at the rescue helicopter where just doing the moral thing.... They could have been saving some thugs.

Shoot all relief workers trying to help the victims. We will all be better off without a bunch of trash from LA.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are heartless and cruel. How can you say such a thing? Where did this (typical liberal) insensitivity come from? What are you responding to with the advocation of violence on innocent people?

cardcounter0
09-05-2005, 03:16 PM
All the people in LA were either:

Thugs: Kill them before they hurt someone else.

Liberals: Who else would be stupid enough to stay behind? Kill them.

Too Poor to Leave: Kill them, they are a burden on society.

Why do we have a rescue going on? Bush did the right thing by delaying as long as possible to make sure the maximum amount of stupid poor liberals were killed. All the rich people had left town, or were on vacation at their summer homes, up north. No reason to waste a bunch of taxpayer money saving the rest, where is the next big oil company tax cut going to come from?

Felix_Nietsche
09-05-2005, 08:52 PM
So far three have chosen to commit suicide by giving the thug their weapon. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

ptmusic
09-06-2005, 01:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Killing this thug will save lives.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not necessarily. The only sure thing is it will kill one person.

-ptmusic

ptmusic
09-06-2005, 01:53 AM
I'd vote to tie him up, except that is pretty useless during an enormous natural disaster.

The guy did the right thing.

-ptmusic

coffeecrazy1
09-06-2005, 01:56 AM
The word "Thug" makes all the difference in this question. If you'd said "relief worker," the response was different. Hell, even if he was a rude, aggravated but nonetheless clearly identifiable rescuer, the response would be different.

But...the words "thug with a machete approaching" would lead me to shoot first, and ask questions later...actually, no...probably no questions at that point, just more shooting, and laughing maniacally, since by that point, I clearly would have lost my house, my reason, and most likely, my sanity.

Zygote
09-06-2005, 02:01 AM
shoot him and its not even close. if not for others safety than at least to protect your own.

Felix_Nietsche
09-06-2005, 01:32 PM
.......have made the correct decision to shoot the thug dead.
I wish I had added a second question to ask about the poll takers about their political views. I suspect more conservatives would shoot the thug dead and more liberals(aka progressives) would have allowed the thug to go free to continue with his rampage of robbery and mayhem.

I assume the people who chose to tell the thug that Jesus loves them were just being wise asses. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Exsubmariner
09-06-2005, 01:54 PM
I say tie him to the nearest lamp post and let the alligators do the job. Why would you want to waste precious ammo you might need against better armed more aggressive looters later?

I feel very strongly that the NOPD had this in their capacity to do the whole time.

X

thatpfunk
09-06-2005, 02:10 PM
Or maybe just give him what he wants because I don't care about my possesions more than a life?

There is nothing I own that can't be replaced easily. Who cares?

Easy E
09-06-2005, 03:10 PM
The moral thing to do was to let him go.

The responsible (to society) solution was to blast off his arm and feed him to the gators, or whatever predatory fish live in NO.

Lacking that, tying his remaining arm to an underwater foundation support works for me as well.

Felix_Nietsche
09-06-2005, 03:15 PM
Or maybe just give him what he wants because I don't care about my possesions more than a life?
There is nothing I own that can't be replaced easily. Who cares?
I should have added another category.

Brandish my gun and let the thug leave because the thug is headed toward's my neighbor's home. My neighbor is a big liberal who pickets the NRA so perhaps his experience with this young thug will turn him into a Gun Rights-Republican (assuming he survives the experience).

Easy E
09-06-2005, 03:31 PM
"And that my existance, though gross and (something) to you, probably saves lives"

My apologies to Mr. Nickelson

Roybert
09-06-2005, 03:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I know you were speaking in jest, but I would like to clear up this talking point. According to the FAA, nobody shot at any helicopter:

[ QUOTE ]
Laura Brown, a Federal Aviation Administration spokeswoman in Washington, said she had no such report.

"We're controlling every single aircraft in that airspace and none of them reported being fired on," she said, adding that the FAA was in contact with the military as well as civilian aircraft.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but this is a piece of misinformation that hasn't been cleared up properly yet, imho.