PDA

View Full Version : Why are so many heads up players such pusses?

RiverMel
04-22-2003, 10:12 AM
Why is it that the vast majority of players online will quit a heads-up game either the minute they are up a decent amount of money or the minute they start to lose the money they've won? (I.e., if they're up $100 and all of a sudden lose a few hands and are only up $50.) I have seen this time and time again. It bothers me only in that I think it's costing me EV because the vast majority of the players that do this are weak. (I obviously don't think their 'hit and run' is giving them any extra EV in any way). I would just play heads up tournaments to get around this problem, but I like playing LIMIT heads up, and I have yet to find a site that has limit 2-person sit and go tournies.

lefty rosen
04-24-2003, 03:23 PM
Most people don't have the game for headsup or even shorthanded with a maniac, I am a winning online player and I won't play headsup with an aggresive player, not worth the risk. I will play with a passive player though, very easy to beat.

tdiddy
04-25-2003, 03:11 PM
fear of the rake.

Robk
04-25-2003, 07:29 PM
The variance is HUGE. Watch someone gamble on anything for more than they can afford and they'll do exactly the same thing.

RiverMel
05-01-2003, 09:34 AM
This can't be the correct answer. If it were fear of the rake, they wouldn't be playing HU/SH at all. Note that my post was asking about players who play HU/SH and then leave as soon as they make a chunk of money, not people who leave as soon as a table gets short.

DaNoob
05-01-2003, 08:43 PM
I think Dynamite Poker has HU Limit tourneys, but I'm pretty sure that they are small stakes only (like $2 buy-ins). Not sure if they offer larger Limit HU games.

The traffic at the site is horrible though, so even if u wanted to play those tourneys, I'm not sure it's worth making the deposit at the site.

crazy canuck
05-02-2003, 06:52 AM

Graham
05-02-2003, 03:35 PM
...I think it's costing me EV
....I obviously don't think their 'hit and run' is giving them any extra EV in any way

So you believe you'd win off them. That means their quitting is a good move for them. Prevents a negative EV.

G

Homer
05-02-2003, 06:09 PM
It doesn't change their EV, it just keeps them from losing more money.

-- Homer

tewall
05-02-2003, 06:40 PM
It depends. Maybe they only play that way against good players. Then it would help their E.V.

Graham
05-03-2003, 12:39 AM
Homer, you need to learn "The Semantics of Expectation". Do a search for a thread of that title.

G

TheLoser
05-03-2003, 03:29 AM
Pokerstars has heads up limit and no limit tournies up to 500 dollar buy ins