PDA

View Full Version : playing A/little in late position

pshea
09-05-2005, 01:02 PM
I've been getting in trouble playing A/little in late position. When an A flops and someone bets, I have been folding, wondering what the hell I was doing in the pot in the first place. Normally I don't play that crap, but in late pos I'm supposed to loosen up if not raised before it's my turn to act, correct?

Maybe raise with it?

What am I trying to achieve when playing ace/little, two pair on the flop? Doesn't happen often enough to warrent staying.

I don't know, I guess this is bascially a rant but would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks

09-05-2005, 01:13 PM
from my experience in B&M games it depends on your oponnent. Many times people I play with will bet out with second pair to get out the small aces. I find that this is a feel situation and opponent based. i'm sure some theory could be applied, but that's my take on it. Last thing I'm going to do is get a bunch of money in there on it though. I may pop a raise to try to take it down after the initial bet on the flop to just end it there and if they call proceed with caution.

09-05-2005, 01:59 PM
If you play Ax in late position come in for a raise. If the pot is already raised you may want to fold preflop. It all depends on your opponent. Would he raise with anything? Has he been opening every pot? The post flop play, if you're bet into is again read dependent. You can fold or raise. I wouldn't call in this spot. Either fold or by raising find out where you stand now. If he calls or re-raises you're done with the hand. Check/fold from there on out.

09-05-2005, 02:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've been getting in trouble playing A/little in late position. When an A flops and someone bets, I have been folding, wondering what the hell I was doing in the pot in the first place.

[/ QUOTE ]

Besides Rob's other comments on opponents and pre-flop play ...

If you're playing A-little in LP, then it should be safe to assume that these cards are suited. If they are not, then your play is probably way loose (unless this is a short-handed game).

That said, if I'm playing Axs in LP and the flop comes Ace-blank-blank and/or rainbow, then I'm probably looking to get away from the hand cheaply. The only way I would look otherwise, is if the situation looks right for a bluff or semi-bluff where I think I can take the pot down right there.

The A-small is usually just too vulnerable unless you get what you are really looking for on the flop, which is two pair (possibly more preferable in no limit) or a four-flush (possibly more preferable in limit).

Just my own wrong opinion.

09-05-2005, 07:24 PM
I would have to agree that your decision in that spot is very much based on your opponents tendencies and image. I just wanted to point out that your image is also important. If I see the right opportunity against the right opponent I'll sometimes push back, if my read and my image are right i'll usually take it down right there, possibly making the player fold AJ, KQ, or a small pair. If the situation is not right you will almost always be better off folding, unless suited. A situation in which I would call to see the flop would be against a player who I feel is easily bluffed and outplay him post flop.