PDA

View Full Version : So, I broke by collar bone

jokerthief
09-05-2005, 11:50 AM
Labor day weekend, dirt bike, unfamiliar terrain, cocky attitude, trouble.

A friend of mine just bought piece of land with 500 acres and we were celebrating labor day weekend by tearing up the place on our dirt bikes. I decided to be a pioneer and blaze a new trail. Long story short, I was going too fast and ran out of track and had to either bail or smash into a tree. I choose to bail and I broke my collar bone. YEA!!!

Oh well, it could be worse. I almost broke my neck plus now I got myself a vicoden high! /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

p.s. the bike is fine /images/graemlins/cool.gif

mslif
09-05-2005, 11:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]

A friend of mine just bought piece of land with 500 acres and we were celebrating labor day weekend by tearing up the place on our dirt bikes. I decided to be a pioneer and blaze a new trail. Long story short, I was going too fast and ran out of track and had to either bail or smash into a tree. I choose to bail and I broke my collar bone. YEA!!!

Oh well, it could be worse. I almost broke my neck plus now I got myself a vicoden high! /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

glad you are doing well.
What kind of bike do you have? I have a YZ250.

HopeydaFish
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

For some reason, breaking my collar bone has always seemed so much more horrible than breaking my arm or my leg. It makes me shiver just thinking about it.

How much did it hurt? Did you know it was broken right away?

Thank god the bike is fine.

I went dirt biking yesterday too. First time trying out my new used Yamaha. Most fun ever.

jokerthief
09-05-2005, 12:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]

For some reason, breaking my collar bone has always seemed so much more horrible than breaking my arm or my leg. It makes me shiver just thinking about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

It hurt, but not nearly as much as I thought it would. I would definetly rather break the collar bone than an arm or a leg. I almost didn't go to the doctor because after the initial pain of impact, it didn't hurt as much as I expected a broken bone to be. Then I remembered that the doctor could give me fun drugs and I went. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

jokerthief
09-05-2005, 12:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[

glad you are doing well.

[/ QUOTE ]

You got my bike! Or I have yours. Sorry I'm high. /images/graemlins/ooo.gif

mslif
09-05-2005, 12:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[

glad you are doing well.

[/ QUOTE ]

You got my bike! Or I have yours. Sorry I'm high. /images/graemlins/ooo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm! Vicodin... Enjoy!

smokingrobot
09-05-2005, 12:13 PM
pop that vicodin, grab yourself a 6 pack, and relax.

Los Feliz Slim
09-05-2005, 12:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm! Vicodin

[/ QUOTE ]

Make sure you save some for when you don't need it, but want it. Best/only surefire hangover remedy.

Voltron87
09-05-2005, 12:27 PM
riding bikes and atvs is bad news. they look fun but im avoiding them.

jokerthief
09-05-2005, 12:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's worth it.

09-05-2005, 12:31 PM
Dirt bikes are the most fun. In an open field or a country road there's just nothing like it. ATVs seem to invite disaster. They're top heavy or something and they bounce too much.

Voltron87
09-05-2005, 12:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's worth it.

[/ QUOTE ]

says the guy who just broke his collarbone? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

chuddo
09-05-2005, 01:28 PM
ive broken my same left collarbone 4 times in my life. the most recent being about 3 years ago playing flag football.

i now have a giant mass of bone/bump as my left collarbone.

jokerthief
09-05-2005, 01:34 PM
How long did the pain last? I'm trying to figure out a rationing plan for my vicoden.

chuddo
09-05-2005, 01:43 PM
i don't really remember, even though it was a pretty awful break.

one end jutted upwards, the other piece downwards, with about a 3/4" gap in the middle. and in the middle of te gap was a bone fragment.

the doctors were pretty sure that it wasn't going to be able to heal after such a bad break and that surgery would be necessary. meaning permanent screws and a plate attaching the two halves just under my skin.

thankfully after many months of wearing a sling it all managed to fuse together.

the pain should only seem even a little bad for a few days. then you kind of get used to it and it becomes just a minor annoyance. but the percocets surely helped at the beginning.

jakethebake
09-05-2005, 01:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree and I don't know why. I've broken everything else pretty much, ribs, leg, arm, all my fingers at least once, toes, nose several times but that makes me cringe to think about.

touchfaith
09-05-2005, 01:53 PM
Ouch, sorry man. I've always been told that the collar bone is the worst to break.

Besides having 8 teeth knocked out with I was 3, I've never broken a bone in my body. (knock knock)

jakethebake
09-05-2005, 01:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've never broken a bone in my body. (knock knock)

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

<font color="white">O/U on how many second before someone offers? </font>

touchfaith
09-05-2005, 01:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I've never broken a bone in my body. (knock knock)

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

<font color="white">O/U on how many second before someone offers? </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

Not bad, you finished changing the tapes in your bathroom video recorders already huh?

jakethebake
09-05-2005, 02:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Not bad, you finished changing the tapes in your bathroom video recorders already huh?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah. Just drilled a hole through the wall.

09-05-2005, 02:03 PM
Wait!! ...hold on a second....I'm going to go make some popcorn. Thinman and Jake; this could be good.

jakethebake
09-05-2005, 02:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Wait!! ...hold on a second....I'm going to go make some popcorn. Thinman and Jake; this could be good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah. I'm not getting into it w/ him again. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

SomethingClever
09-05-2005, 03:31 PM
I've broken mine... the initial hit was bad (got checked into a metal pole while playing basketball), then it felt ok, then the days and weeks afterward were kind of a pain in the ass.

MrTrik
09-05-2005, 06:26 PM
I've been riding ATVs for a long time. I have owned many and used to compete. There is nothing inherently unsafe about them. 3-wheelers were tough for novices to control but they haven't been on the market for a while.

4 wheelers are a blast. You just need to know how the machine deals with various terrain and you need to ride at or below your ability. And you need to not do stupid [censored] like flying through areas you are unfamiliar with at too much speed (like 'making' your own trail).

Niwa
09-05-2005, 06:29 PM
lmao

Niwa
09-05-2005, 06:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
pop that vicodin, grab yourself a 6 pack, and relax.

[/ QUOTE ]

KDawgCometh
09-05-2005, 06:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

leg is definetly much much worse, and a lot more gross to look at. I'm not the squeemish type, but I always have a problem looking at leg breaks. A broken arm is really nothing. Collarbone sucks balls though more cause of how uncomfortable your sleep is gonna be for the next week or two

09-05-2005, 08:34 PM
Dang, how old are you man?

(Whatever the answer is, you are too old to be "blazin new dirt bike trails)

It's a trick question.

scrub
09-05-2005, 08:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I broke mine in a car wreck a few years ago. Get one of those harnesses that helps keep your shoulders back, and don't worry if it seems like it's not setting right.

After mine healed, it was uncomfortable for a few months. It finally felt better after I lifted for a few months.

scrub