PDA

View Full Version : Fire Bobby Cox if he doesn't seal the deal?

masse75
09-05-2005, 11:28 AM
I've often thought about this, especially because I don't like the Braves. If Bobby Cox doesn't lead the team to the WS Championship, should he be fired? A lot will say "remarkable run of 14/15 division championships." Yes, but he has ONE World Series Championship. That sounds like he can't close the deal.

Better coaches have been fired for far less.

RacersEdge
09-05-2005, 12:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've often thought about this, especially because I don't like the Braves. If Bobby Cox doesn't lead the team to the WS Championship, should he be fired? A lot will say "remarkable run of 14/15 division championships." Yes, but he has ONE World Series Championship. That sounds like he can't close the deal.

[/ QUOTE ]

That would be phenomenally stupid. Baseball playoffs are a crap shoot.

Clarkmeister
09-05-2005, 12:31 PM
You, sir, are a moran.

nolanfan34
09-05-2005, 12:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You, sir, are a moran.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're not thinking this through Clark, this guy may be on to something. If the Braves fire Cox, maybe the Cards could hire him then. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

pokerdirty
09-05-2005, 01:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

wrong sport.

Sooga
09-05-2005, 03:30 PM
Every year since the heyday of Smoltz/Glavine/Maddux critics have been saying 'Ok, this is the year it ends for the Braves.' And they've been wrong every year. Personally, up until this year, I thought Cox could pull it through. But this year, I truly did think it was impossible. How could anyone, even Cox, coax a division title out of a lineup consisting of a gimpy Chipper, a few above-average players (Andruw, Giles, Furcal), and a buncha stiffs? With a pitching staff consisting of a reconverted closer, Tim Hudson, and a buncha stiffs? But he's done it again, in a division that analysts were saying might be the toughest in baseball. The man is amazing. I shall never doubt him again.

You can't blame him for only getting 1 WS... The Oakland A's had the best front 3 starting pitchers for a handful of years, and they never even got to the world series, much less won it.

mmbt0ne
09-05-2005, 08:25 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />

[/ QUOTE ]

Who? For what?

TheRover
09-05-2005, 10:07 PM
[censored] that. Just fire Dusty Baker before I kill myself.

lastchance
09-06-2005, 02:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
And the owners who fired those coaches are incredibly stupid. Unless you can get a brilliant coach, and I don't think there's a single coach that fits that bill in baseball today, (in fact, the one coach that fits that bill is Cox) you need to keep Bobby Cox.

pryor15
09-06-2005, 02:09 AM
if he gets that team into the playoffs, they should build him a shrine in downtown atlanta.

firing him is the dumbest thing i've heard all week. (although, it is still monday...)

sublime
09-06-2005, 02:15 AM
the impact managers have on teams is overrated

postseason success or lack thereof is overrated

the braves dynasty is something to be marvaled at, not picked apart

scalf
09-06-2005, 03:45 AM
/images/graemlins/grin.gif..remember; the braves are seen every g nationally on wtbs; the teamis built to be competitive all season long...so people will not lose interest in the braves and ratings fall; the team is not built to win the playoffs; and they admit that..

cox is a player's manager and a good one; but to win the world series ya need an s.o.b.

jmho

gl

/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Jack of Arcades
09-06-2005, 04:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
cox is a player's manager and a good one; but to win the world series ya need an s.o.b.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that Joe Torre's one mean son of a bitch.

sublime
09-06-2005, 05:06 AM
the team is not built to win the playoffs; and they admit that..

where do they admit this?

what team would be built for the postseason if not one stacked with top notch starting pitching?

RacersEdge
09-06-2005, 10:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
the team is not built to win the playoffs; and they admit that..

where do they admit this?

what team would be built for the postseason if not one stacked with top notch starting pitching?

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't need to be stacked with 4 or 5 good pitchers like the Brvaes have been for the post-season - you really just need 3 - even 2 like with Schilling/Johnson. It's not so much the Braves aren't built for post season, as it is there big advantage - deep starting pitching - gets neutralized in the playoffs by weaker teams.