PDA

View Full Version : NC? call my crazy, but ...

09-05-2005, 08:28 AM
is it just me, or is it not just a great feeling waking up & sitting down to your first tables in the morning after having one of those theoretical breakthroughs. You've brought up 4 tables while you were in the shower/fixing your breakfast/dressing yourself & have found the best one. You're unlocking some bonus today too, so you've jumped levels to $1/2 to offset the fact that you play miserably while freeing bonus ... and you win your big blind.

***Call me crazy, but ... I think I just figured out position.
I think you have to play tighter than the SSHE tight sheet.
Am I just running hot? No, I'm not ... oh, what a marvelous feeling.
Anyone else remember this cloud?

Vote4Pedro
09-05-2005, 11:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think you have to play tighter than the SSHE tight sheet

[/ QUOTE ]

you're crazy

bozlax
09-05-2005, 11:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
you're crazy

[/ QUOTE ]

09-05-2005, 06:26 PM
76 viewings & all I get is the same joke ... twice.
OK, I'm crazy ... but playing better than I ever have,
& winrating more than I ever have & all I did was tighten
up in early pos. (WAY tighter than the SSHE) & loosened
up in the later positions.
Crazier than thou,
JW

it may sound hard to do, but I've been raising or folding.
you should never be out of position & have to call with a draw, or any 2 off-suit Broadways. Force them to continue to have to call bets from YOU all night, and nobody will want to play with you -like early Tyson- & that's when you loosen up. Just don't loosen up too much that you're fighting no-name, underclassed, white guys for a million a pop just to embarress the sport.

numeri
09-05-2005, 06:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
all I did was tighten up in early pos. (WAY tighter than the SSHE) & loosened up in the later positions.

[/ QUOTE ]
Your post was just odd, that's why you got the same joke twice! /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

That said, you may be a bit off here. Yes, your winrate may have improved. Maybe it's because you don't know how to play drawing hands out of position. Who knows? The thing is, you're missing out on lots of value if you tighten up to a rock in the first few positions. It could just be that you were playing them poorly before post-flop, and now you're able to avoid those mistakes just by not playing them at all.

Just a thought.

09-05-2005, 07:08 PM
thanks for a C reply to my NC post ...
Thanks, really.
This is just the kind of reply I was looking for...someone to tell me (at the height of my "breakthru") that I probably don't know what I'm doing.

& you're probably right, I have begun to fold offsuit Broadways & suited As outta position because I feel uncomfortable playing them up front, & feel I'm giving up hands (YES, even while protecting my hands & even WITH odds) or getting drawn out on more when I'm outta position.

Anyone who has tips on how to play these holding, I'm all {crazy} ears. Trying to learn this game, & enjoying myself.
thanks to everyone who reads,
JW

Guthrie
09-05-2005, 07:14 PM
I'd call your crazy but you haven't bet it yet.

numeri
09-05-2005, 07:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
& you're probably right, I have begun to fold offsuit Broadways & suited As outta position because I feel uncomfortable playing them up front, & feel I'm giving up hands (YES, even while protecting my hands & even WITH odds) or getting drawn out on more when I'm outta position.

Anyone who has tips on how to play these holding, I'm all {crazy} ears. Trying to learn this game, & enjoying myself.
thanks to everyone who reads,
JW

[/ QUOTE ]
There are no quick-and-easy guidelines. Well, there's a book about it - Small Stakes Hold 'Em - you may have heard of it. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif It's the reason we're here.

I started to type out some guidelines I use, but it's probably best to get it from the experts. Read the book!

macdaddy991
09-05-2005, 07:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Your post was just odd, that's why you got the same joke twice! /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Complete sentences make posts easier to read. /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

What I think the OP meant to say was that he suddenly discovered position. When you play .50/1 and under, you can compensate for playing marginal hands OOP because typically pots are so large. However, if someone is relitavely new to poker, playing draws from early position may be unprofitable. SSHE is not a beginner book. Its concepts are hard and require much thought. If new players copy the starting hand chert verbatim, they will have problems.

09-05-2005, 07:28 PM
is this where I say:
I've been playing cards for almost two years & dealing cards for over a year.
I've played 40k+ hands online in 3 months.

I've read & re-read & read with a reading group,
_Small Stakes Hold Em_, I agree that yes, I'm not
doing EVERYTHING correctly 100% of the time, but
I think for someone who plays $.50/1 they're tight
sheet is too loose. They're loose recomendations
are certainly FAR too loose for Party, which I've
heard is almost what it was geared for.
If you're a new player, anyway, & try to play by
the loose game sheet, and couple that with a bankroll
that's too small, you'll go belly up in no time flat.

I appreciate everyone's attention to such a measly post.