PDA

View Full Version : To bet or to check-raise?

TheArtist
04-22-2003, 05:21 AM
In a very loose/passive game(there is rarely a raise preflop and usually 70% see the flop)

I call UTG with A3d, 2 callers, then MP raises, 2 more callers, and the blinds call.
Flop:
Qd Jd 7

I check, the other 2 callers check, MP raises, and a player behind him make 3 bet, and everyone calls include me.

Turn: 4d

Now: I check....everyone else also check too

River: Kd

I bet.....everyone folds except for 2 callers.

Should I had bet out on the turn? I wanted to go for a checkraise on the turn.

Aquasces1

TheArtist
04-22-2003, 05:25 AM

Jeffage
04-22-2003, 06:43 AM
Seems reasonable to go for a checkraise...there is no right or wrong answer really. With the flop action there will probably be a bet. Must have been a good game if u got two callers on a 4flush board. NH.

Jeff

rayrns
04-22-2003, 06:47 AM
Bet the turn. Any draws will stay in at this time and fold to a bet on the river if they don't improve. Plus if there are players in with 2 pair, you want to charge them to draw out.

Joe Tall
04-22-2003, 09:42 AM
I agree with rayrns, bet the turn. I used to try to get tricky in these loose-passive games and more often than not I would miss bets. In fact, I find these 70%-players to the flop go 70%-of-the-time to the river anyway, therefore, you'll be better off betting your nut-hand.

Sometimes I find it would be better to value bet your flush by leading out on the flop and then when your flush hits on the turn...I use a quick 'I'm scared'-check...this seems to induce these loose-passives to bet it out - THEN you'll get your check raise.

The best adjustments to my loose-passive game came from re-re-reading 21stHEPFAP's chapter on loose games. Where standard play of betting your hand is recommended, and less tricky play is advocated.

Good Luck!
Larry Joe Fish

Barry
04-22-2003, 10:20 AM
With all those callers, not only would I have bet the flop, I would 3 bet, if raised behind me; you are only a 2:1 dog to make your flush, with more than 2 others in the hand it is a +EV, with 7 or 8 in the hand that is a huge positive expectation.

I suppose that the checkraise play is OK, but given that everyone has stayed in the hand for a preflop and a flop raise, I'd probably bet out the turn expecting that someone else made a smaller flush.