PDA

View Full Version : My Favorite Story about Rap Music

whiskeytown
09-05-2005, 06:25 AM
So I must tell this story, as I am reflecting on my life since today is my b-day.

My favorite story about rap music is hearing it over the radio as a kid, usually from Canada because no one in NW Montana would broadcast that and it's rarely heard out there. Sometimes though, a couple pieces got thru and I saw a copy of Rap's Greatest Hits, Vol 2 - a cheap compilation sold at Woolworths when I was there for some reason when downtown in Kalispell.

So I take it home and listen to it, Doug E Fresh and the Get Fresh Crew, Run DMC's King of Rock - Rumors by the Timex Social Club, Fat boys, UTFO, etc...

and when it's all done a few times I dig it and I try to figure out what the lyrics mean, and I'm sitting there thinking.....

Yah it'd be cool to play in a rap band some day....

rap band...

No concept of MC's, culture, anything - I just thought it needed a guitar, bass, and drums and I was gonna play in the band and we all sing/play in the band, right?.....

That's how backwater I was growing up.

RB

JTrout
09-05-2005, 06:41 AM
That is some goot shxt you're on! /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

ps. enjoy the great country hits! Lotta good songs, mixed with a lot of meh.

okayplayer
09-05-2005, 02:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yah it'd be cool to play in a rap band some day....

rap band...

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you heard the Roots? They are a rap band, and an incredibly good one at that. It's true when you think about hip hop there aren't too many "bands". Crown City Rockers are another good band. There are some others too, but just not as well known (or good).

IggyWH
09-05-2005, 02:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Have you heard the Roots? They are a rap band, and an incredibly good one at that. It's true when you think about hip hop there aren't too many "bands". Crown City Rockers are another good band. There are some others too, but just not as well known (or good).

[/ QUOTE ]

I love The Roots and although I strongly doubt that there's anything else out there like it or as remotely good, I've never heard of Crown City Rockers and I'll give them a try. What are some hot songs I should be on the lookout for?

jakethebake
09-05-2005, 03:04 PM
I remember the first timke I heard of rap. I was in elementary school. There was this new black kid in our school named Adrian. I saw him walking down the hall one day making those "beat box" noises and asked him why he was spitting in his hand.

okayplayer
09-05-2005, 05:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've never heard of Crown City Rockers and I'll give them a try. What are some hot songs I should be on the lookout for?

[/ QUOTE ]

Their latest release, Earthtones, is a pretty good album. Some standouts include: Something, Balance, B-Boy, Fate, Sidestep, No Sense, and Without Love.

lucas9000
09-05-2005, 06:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Crown City Rockers are another good band. There are some others too, but just not as well known (or good).

[/ QUOTE ]

fwiw, i saw them live and hated every second of it.

Tron
09-05-2005, 06:51 PM
My favorite story about rap is how when I was growing up my parents refused to let me listen to anything with a Parental Advisory sticker on it and now 70% of what I listen to is vulgar, offensive rap.

Also, Happy Birthday.

lucas9000
09-05-2005, 06:55 PM
happy birthday yo.
http://www.mailorderexpress.com/shop/prdpics/112131.jpg

mason55
09-05-2005, 07:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I love The Roots and although I strongly doubt that there's anything else out there like it or as remotely good, I've never heard of Crown City Rockers and I'll give them a try. What are some hot songs I should be on the lookout for?

[/ QUOTE ]

They're not as good as The Roots (who is??) but Heiruspecs are really really good and a hell of a lot of fun to listen to. Small Steps is my favorite song but if you check anything out, check more than that cause that song is kind of slow.