PDA

View Full Version : Big Steve Checks In....

Talk2BigSteve
09-05-2005, 01:52 AM
I just got power back today.

I have been at the Red Cross Key Chapter in Meridian volunteering (601) 485-5151.

We have limited phone service here, I am actually able to connect 14400 to a AOL number in Dallas, TX to write this.

The entire county was blacked out from the hurricane.

The Red Cross building had a drive by shooting while 3 others and I were on the back porch Tuesday night.

I have been driving about 1500 meals a day to the outer towns in a 15 passenger van every day. I have had at most 4 hours of sleep a day since last sunday night.

I had to work my regular job on W-T-F of this past week. I am probably going to quit soon but I have to let my emotions get in check first. It is very weird to work for DirecTV and here people bitch and moan about how they have been with out a Sat TV since last Sunday and how it is my responsibility to see that they are compensated for their lose and make that compensation the Alabama Football game or some other BS. Then I got to the Red Cross at night and answer calls from an older woman who said "Can someone please bring me a generator because my husband is on a breathing machine and the battery back up system is failing and EMTs can not get to us!" So I load up a 4x4 Excursion and haul ass.

This past week has really made me check what is important to me.

Today I was talking with a woman at the shelter and her daughter kept pulling on her shirt to get her attention and she finally said "What is it baby" and a girl about 4 or 5 looks up at us with a sad pouty face and starts to cry and says "This is the worst vacation ever" I did not know weither to laugh or cry. I am just an emotional basket case right now helping people.

Just wanted to let you all know that I am ok. I will post again when I don't have more important things to do.

Take Care.

Sincerely,

Big Steve /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Al P
09-05-2005, 01:55 AM
Awesome volunteer work you're doing.

Edge34
09-05-2005, 01:58 AM
As much crap as people have given you (admittedly, including me once or twice), its good to know that you're not only safe, but doing some good work while you're at it. Nice to see you here.

Eurotrash
09-05-2005, 01:58 AM
Steve, you're the best big gay volunteer I've ever had the pleasure of knowing on an internet message board.

your work is awesome, hang in there, stay safe.

jacki
09-05-2005, 02:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

thatpfunk
09-05-2005, 02:06 AM
Good to hear you are safe.

I do hope you know how important the work you are doing is.

Thank you.

Voltron87
steve, youre gay, youre going to hell no matter how much great
stuff you do, and how many people you help.

kidding aside, awesome job. people like you make a difference, keep it up, and thanks.

jdl22
Big Steve,

It's good to read that you are safe and ok. Excellent volunteer work, you should be commended.

Keep up the good work.

john smith
09-05-2005, 02:07 AM
Steve, you rule.

youtalkfunny
09-05-2005, 03:12 AM
Nice job, Steve.

You've worked your way off the ignore list.

plaster8
09-05-2005, 04:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Dear God, I thought you were serious there for a second. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Steve: Glad to hear you're safe, and glad to hear you're doing what you can to help. Times like these bring out the best and worst in people, and it's nice to hear some stories about the former when so much has focused on the latter.

jokerthief
09-05-2005, 04:52 AM
Good to see you are all right. The forum was worried about you. You even sparked a "where's bigsteve" thread.

Keep up the good work and think hard about quitting your job.

Chairman Wood
09-05-2005, 04:54 AM
Glad to hear from you. You are awesome for doing what you are doing. Keep it up.

Vavavoom
09-05-2005, 04:58 AM
WOW.....

Volunteer work likes this deserves enourmous credit....Fair play to ya....

Keep up the good work !!

Klepton
09-05-2005, 05:17 AM
who's boy is drive by shooting a [censored] red cross

and wow NO is [censored] up now

but good work dude

Transference
09-05-2005, 06:12 AM
Glad to hear your safe Stevo, 2+2 is proud of ya

bugstud
09-05-2005, 06:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Jersey Nick
09-05-2005, 10:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Los Feliz Slim
09-05-2005, 10:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
"This is the worst vacation ever"

[/ QUOTE ]

Classic.

Thanks Big Steve.

mslif
09-05-2005, 10:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Very happy to hear you are ok. I had to ask Bison about you.
Stay safe /images/graemlins/heart.gif

touchfaith
09-05-2005, 10:28 AM
Big Steve is gay?

Anyway..great job dude. I wish I were there to help. It's been an aweful week watching the news.

MrTrik
09-05-2005, 10:52 AM
Nice goin Steve. All of us owe you big thanks. Disasters do sometimes bring out the best in people.

BeerMoney
09-05-2005, 11:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I did not know weither to laugh or cry.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you just unintentionally created a new word.

Good work helping those who need you.

Toro
09-05-2005, 11:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Nice job, Steve.

[/ QUOTE ]

??? If he was on ignore list, how did you se this? That's why I never used ignore and never will.

BigBaitsim (milo)
09-05-2005, 12:55 PM
One of the good guys.

Luv2DriveTT
09-05-2005, 01:58 PM
U are a better man than I am Steve. My hat is off to you.

PS: How are you driving? I thought your leg got totally screwed up, are you feeling better?

TT /images/graemlins/club.gif

youtalkfunny
09-05-2005, 05:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Nice job, Steve.

[/ QUOTE ]

??? If he was on ignore list, how did you se this? That's why I never used ignore and never will.

[/ QUOTE ]

My ignore list is a figurative thing. I was just in the habit of skipping threads started by BigSteve.

But his post at the top this page sounds like it came from a normal person. If he can keep it up, I'll keep reading.

If he goes back to his impersonation of Richard Simmons being picked on by David Letterman ("Stop it! Cut it out! Sure, I'll be glad to appear on your show again, as much as I can! Cut it OUT!"), I'll probably tune out again.

(Sorry, this post has no place in this "Nice job, Steve" thread.)

HopeydaFish
09-05-2005, 07:41 PM
Awesome. The world needs more people like you.

HopeydaFish
09-05-2005, 07:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Dear God, I thought you were serious there for a second. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Naw, this is OOT, not Philosophy.

Niwa
09-05-2005, 08:08 PM
great work and great post.

razor
09-05-2005, 08:40 PM
Great to hear you are ok!

DukeSucks
09-05-2005, 08:46 PM
Even though everyone gives you a hard time around here, it doesn't surprise me that you are helping out.

Great job, I'm sure they appreciate you

Talk2BigSteve
09-06-2005, 12:16 AM
I just walked in the door again, I managed to get a 36K connection tonight Woot Woot /images/graemlins/grin.gif.

College is starting back in the morning so I will be in school until about 3PM so I will be back in time to make the dinner runs.

Today we found out that they are sending 3,500 more people to our community tomorrow.

I have said before that I hate living in Meridian, but we have 90% great people and 10% fucktards. So I have to hand it to the people of this community who have jumped in and helped.

If you do not know where Meridian is, it is 189 miles northeast of New Orleans. Even this far inland we still had 90+ mile an hour winds with gust up to 130+.

I have been back and forth on the road in a Chevy Express 15 passenger van with everything but the front two seats taken out. I had not driven this van before I had Dodge and Fords. I slid the seat back and went to raise the steering wheel and some how turned on the flashers. I could not figure out how to shut them off(I now know they are on top of the steering column behind the wheel) So anyway, I am driving in a white van with Red Cross magnets on it and people just start pulling over when they see me coming. I just started laughing, and laughing is what I really needed.

Big Steve's Red Cross Needs Your Help

Ok I know we have many different levels of people here on 2+2.

If you can donate $10........DO IT.
If you can donate $10,000....DO IT.

Call 1-800-HELP-NOW to make a donation.

If you want it to go to my Chapter specifically, make sure you tell them your donation is for the Key Chapter of the American Red Cross in Meridian, Mississippi. (You do not have to donate to my chapter as we also receive funding from National.)

If you do donate(or have already) to my chapter or Nationally post here to let me know, my Director wants to thank you all in advance(I told her I was going to ask the poker community online for help).

Thanks again.

Sincerely,

Big Steve /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Stellastarr
09-06-2005, 01:08 AM
nice job you are doing out there Steve.

09-06-2005, 03:38 PM
You are doing good work by helping your fellow man. Stay safe and God Bless.