PDA

View Full Version : Would you move back?

judgesmails
09-05-2005, 01:40 AM
If you lived in New Orleans and your home was destroyed, would you move back when the area is ready to be inhabited?

Voltron87
09-05-2005, 01:41 AM
this is a dumb poll.

judgesmails
09-05-2005, 01:44 AM
I am dumb. And I have been wondering how many people may actually move back.

LBJ
09-05-2005, 01:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
this is a dumb poll.

[/ QUOTE ]

Woohoo I finally agree with Voltron!

bwana devil
09-05-2005, 01:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
this is a dumb poll.

[/ QUOTE ]

-do you own your house/land?
-do you have extended family in NO?
-are you married w/ kids in school and what is your spouse's opinion?
-do you have a job to go back to?

LBJ
09-05-2005, 01:50 AM
My point is this is a dumb poll because NONE of us know this feeling of losing everything we have because of Katrina. It's IMPOSSIBLE to know what we would do because we don't know how the people are feeling. It's a sensation impossible to re-create. Therefore, it's a dumb poll.

Voltron87
09-05-2005, 01:52 AM
less negative follow up:

its a good question, but not as a poll. there are a ton of factors to talk about as well.

judgesmails
09-05-2005, 01:54 AM
My thought is more that the city has always been, and will always be, 20+ feet below sea level and very susceptible to natural catastrophe. I don't think many who lived there really understood the physical vulnerability of the landscape.

Now that they know, would it prevent them from returning?

newfant
09-05-2005, 02:21 AM
Most of the 20% of the people who didn't evacuate and were trapped will likely not come back. They are too poor, have nothing to come back to, and suffered too much psychological trauma to go back. I imagine many of the 80% who evacuated will come back if they have insurance or some other means of rebuilding. Biloxi was the hardest hit area and all available real estate has already been sold. People want to live near the ocean even if it kills them.

Personally, I wouldn't go back because I wouldn't want to live in a place where my house could possibly be destroyed every year.

OtisTheMarsupial
09-05-2005, 02:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
My thought is more that the city has always been, and will always be, 20+ feet below sea level and very susceptible to natural catastrophe. I don't think many who lived there really understood the physical vulnerability of the landscape.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think a lot of people did know the danger - there are songs about it for crying out loud. Some just acted a little like 18 yer old boys and thought they were invincible.

Yes, I think I'd move back. I think it will be safer after the reconstruction and I think the city has so much to offer. Of course that would depend on how settled I was elsewhere...

You know, I live in Vegas. Every summer we have flash floods and usually someone dies. We're getting nuclear waste dumped in our backyard. If we had just a couple weeks without power during the summer thousands of people would die from heat exhaustion. But I'm not going to move any time soon. Right now, this is where my heart is.

Ed Miller
09-05-2005, 02:28 AM
Quite frankly, you can't REALLY answer this question until you've lived in New Orleans for a while. There is a lot about the city that is unique, and for many life elsewhere is not even remotely the same.

jakethebake
09-05-2005, 09:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Quite frankly, you can't REALLY answer this question until you've lived in New Orleans for a while. There was a lot about the city that was unique, and for many life elsewhere will never be even remotely the same.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure I even want to see it rebuilt but I'm not sure why. It won't be the same.

Overdrive
09-05-2005, 10:33 AM
Nope

Broken Glass Can
09-05-2005, 10:36 AM
We should offer jobs to the jobless of New Orleans. I hear the Army needs people, come and join up. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

trying2learn
09-05-2005, 11:28 AM
Let me admit first off that I don't know much about this, so please correct me if I'm wrong...but isn't much of downtown BELOW sea level? This seems like a place where it would be crazy to rebuild and re-inhabit, only to wait for the next time this would happen again...even if it is 100 years or more away.

SackUp
09-05-2005, 01:37 PM
this is hard if you have never lived in the place. I guess I would have to imagine somewhere that I have lived and imagine it getting destroyed. If SD got destroyed, I would move back if it was rebuilt.

If my hometown of Riverside got destroyed and rebuilt I might actually be more inclined to move back b/c it sucks right now /images/graemlins/smile.gif