PDA

View Full Version : x-post. Still pretty new to 6-max.

Baseballer02
09-05-2005, 12:49 AM
Still pretty new to 6-max(2100 hands in PT) and I'm fairly often finding myself in situations where I'm unsure of what move to make.

Hand 1: Villain here is 58/2/3.77. He'll bet almost randomly with any two cards. I had already caught him in a bluff earlier when I held a pair of aces and jacks paired on the turn. Was this a good time to call down hoping to catch another bluff?

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (4 SB) A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 2/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, CO folds, SB folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (3 BB) 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (5 BB) 8/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: 7 BB

Hand 2: My problem here is that I'm not sure if betting the river here would be a value bet. The pot is a decent size and it's heads up, but there's quite a bit out there that can beat me. Villain here is 50/8.2/0.53.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is CO with 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 8/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button folds, BB calls.

Turn: (4.25 BB) K/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks.

River: (4.25 BB) 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds.

Final Pot: 5.25 BB

Hand 3: Not sure about my turn play here. Should I have just gone ahead and bet out? I was somewhat worried about two pair being held by one of my opponents. No reads.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (8 SB) 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, SB calls, BB folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (7 BB) Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, SB calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button calls, SB calls.

River: (13 BB) A/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button folds, SB folds.

Final Pot: 16 BB

Hand 4: I was trying my damn hardest to get UTG out of the hand here, but just couldn't get him out. Is the river check/call correct or should I have bet out? No reads here.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (6 max, 4 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 8/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button caps</font>, Hero calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (12.50 SB) 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG calls, Button calls.

Turn: (9.25 BB) 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, Button folds.

River: (11.25 BB) 3/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: 13.25 BB

Nfinity
09-05-2005, 01:33 AM
Hand 1.

You are still behind to any PP and if villian holds "any 2" then he still has a pretty good draw against you, which you will never know he caught by Check/ Calling down. For someone still ucomfortable in these situations I suggest Check/ Folding the Turn. An aggression factor of 2 means he's not betting randomly with "any 2" too often.

Hand 2.
Fine until the Turn. I know the board is scary but he has been pretty passive so far so I would bet here with the intention of folding to a raise, and checking any river through UI. You really don't want to be giving any free cards on a board like that. The way you played it I check the River through as well.

Hand 3.

There really is no evidence of someone having 2 Pair, most of the time the guy will have a 9 and others he will have a decent draw. I re-bet the Turn to make sure that it doesn't get checked through on the drawy board. For the record I just call SB's River bet, If you have the best hand you make the same amount when Button Overcalls, but he was the opponent most likely to be on a draw(ie CC 2 on the flop) and 23 is really easy for him to have here.

Hand 4.

Your goal should almost never be to "get someone out of a hand" your goal should be to put them in a lose/ lose situation where if the fold you win, and if they call you win. With no reads I fold the flop to buttons bet.

cold_cash
09-05-2005, 01:39 AM
Sup bro.

Here's just some of my musings:

Hand 1...The pot's small, and it's going to cost us a couple bets to showdown. Risking 2.5 to win 4 or whatever it is, I'd just fold the flop. You'll have better chances to get this guys money.

Hand 2...Tougher. I would normally bet the turn and check this river, unless you can be positive this guy won't call down with absolutely nothing, and won't bet unless you're beaten. Easy fold if he raises. I don't really like the river bet the way it played out, but it may have been good. Kinda depends on the player. If he'll call with a 5 or 6, okay, but once you check the turn he's likely to bet almost anything that has a chance, so once he doesn't it's likely he's got total crap or a broken draw.

Hand 3... I would stop and go here. I don't want it checked around, and when an overcard falls bettors can freeze up. I like the river. I don't know what the SB had but whatever it was he played it awfully.

Hand 4.. I don't always 3-bet this from the big blind. I like to just call and then bet out when I flop a set. If you can get it headsup, okay, but if not I'd just call and be ready to check-raise lots of flops. Tough river, but I would have likely bet it. I think you win more when you bet and get called than when you check and call.

Baseballer02
09-05-2005, 01:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Hand 1.

You are still behind to any PP and if villian holds "any 2" then he still has a pretty good draw against you, which you will never know he caught by Check/ Calling down. For someone still ucomfortable in these situations I suggest Check/ Folding the Turn. An aggression factor of 2 means he's not betting randomly with "any 2" too often.

[/ QUOTE ]

His aggression factor was 3.77, and with a VP$IP of 55% I'd say 3.77 is very freakin aggressive. I had already caught him on a bluff before where he had donked me on the turn and river when the board paired on the turn.

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 4.

Your goal should almost never be to "get someone out of a hand" your goal should be to put them in a lose/ lose situation where if the fold you win, and if they call you win. With no reads I fold the flop to buttons bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

So am I completely throwing hand protection out of the window here? I'm in a very very marginal situation, and I believe the only way it can improve is too get this heads-up. I have a much better chance winning against one opponent than two.

These are just my thoughts, but of course I'm new, so I could be far from rig
ht.

Baseballer02
09-05-2005, 01:45 AM
In hand 4, the reason for 3-betting preflop was because the table had just gone 4-handed. This was about the 6th hand going 4-way and it had gotten VERY aggressive, a lot of stealing and re-stealing going on.

bottomset
09-05-2005, 01:56 AM
hand1: fold the flop
hand2: bet turn, fold if raised, check behind the river .. don't bet this river given how you played it, you only get called by better hands

hand3: bet the turn
hand4: fold the flop, raise is pretty bad unless he's really maniacal

Nfinity
09-05-2005, 02:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
In hand 4, the reason for 3-betting preflop was because the table had just gone 4-handed. This was about the 6th hand going 4-way and it had gotten VERY aggressive, a lot of stealing and re-stealing going on.

[/ QUOTE ]

First this is a read, and you should mention it. The Pre-flop 3-bet I consider almost standard in this situation.

[ QUOTE ]
So am I completely throwing hand protection out of the window here? I'm in a very very marginal situation, and I believe the only way it can improve is too get this heads-up. I have a much better chance winning against one opponent than two.

[/ QUOTE ]

First, he is willing to CC 2 small bets on the flop, so you can reasonably discern that he will be willing to CC the flop when there is more money in the pot. A raise here doesn't protect your hand.

Second, hand protection is applied when you are pretty sure you have the best hand. When you can't be sure you have the best hand(ie. 2 overs on the flop, pre-flop capper betting into you and someone yet to act) then a raise ceases to be "protection" and delves into the realm of "chip spewage"

For clarification, If you were fairly certain that you still had the best hand, the correct way to protect your hand would be to wait for the Turn, and raise a safe card.

gonzopro
09-05-2005, 02:23 AM
Grunching (and I don't play 6max - yet)

1. Bet the flop or fold to his bet.

2. Definitely ck the river. No one calls here with a worse hand and you will get ck raised by the completed flush.

3. I play it the same most of the time.

4. I really need a read here to decide how to play this hand. Very hard to put villian on a hand here but I'd say AK or AJ are very possible.