PDA

View Full Version : Top pair good kicker against an unkown

09-04-2005, 11:13 PM
It was my first orbit and the table was looking pretty loose agressive to me. Just by waiting for the blinds, I noticed that villain capped a turn with a low pair and a K high flush draw against 4 other guys. That's the only read I have on him. So, here goes:

PokerRoom 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q/images/graemlins/club.gif K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, CO posts a blind of $0.25.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, CO (poster) checks, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (6 SB) 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(7 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 caps</font>.

Turn: (6.50 BB) J/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (7.50 BB) T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 8.50 BB

What do you think? I felt I had no other option on the flop but to 3-bet him, but I got kindda scared when he capped.

bottomset
09-04-2005, 11:25 PM
oh someone thinks he's better than me

limping after 3limpers should mean a broad range, but really only A2s makes sense for a hand thats better than you on the flop, or a nit with AQ .. but the flopcap isn't good news and to calldown you need to be good 8.5/2 which is a lot of the time.

tyler_cracker
09-04-2005, 11:39 PM
Do i have to change my name to middleSet to participate in this thread?

I think there are many more hands than A2s which contain a 2 that a .25/.50 villain might be playing here. But i also think this is the only way to play this. NH.

bozlax
09-05-2005, 12:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
...capped a turn with a low pair and a K high flush draw against 4 other guys.

[/ QUOTE ]

When did this turn into a bad thing?

Anybody else raising this preflop? FIVE limpers, and a hand that plays well short-handed or multi-way? I'd be happier if it were sooted, but I'd also be happier if I had the roll for 100/200, my wife looked like Carmen Electra and I lived in a house that wasn't overrun with ants...we can't always get what we want.

In the absence of a read, if I had a small stroke and didn't raise preflop, I probably play postflop the same. (Oh, and you don't have a read.)

09-05-2005, 12:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
When did this turn into a bad thing?

Anybody else raising this preflop? FIVE limpers, and a hand that plays well short-handed or multi-way? I'd be happier if it were sooted, but I'd also be happier if I had the roll for 100/200, my wife looked like Carmen Electra and I lived in a house that wasn't overrun with ants...we can't always get what we want.

In the absence of a read, if I had a small stroke and didn't raise preflop, I probably play postflop the same. (Oh, and you don't have a read.)

[/ QUOTE ]

1st: I never said capping with a K high flush draw and a pair is bad.

2nd: Why does KQo play good multiway? It was 7 to the flop...that's kindda too much for KQo I think.

Pylos
09-05-2005, 01:19 AM
I always raise this preflop personally, which may not have many players get out of your way PF but it's worth the equity imho.

The cap on the flop bothers me as well, but without a read I might be tempted to call it down when there are just 2 of us.

bottomset
09-05-2005, 01:22 AM
I usually just raise when there is 2limpers when in the blinds and check and see the flop when its more, its fairly tricky to play postflop in big multiway pots

GTSamIAm
09-05-2005, 01:24 AM
If you say he's loose and aggressive, don't 3-bet the flop and give him a chance to fold a worse hand.

GTSamIAm
09-05-2005, 01:27 AM
If you're in SB, there's no reason to raise first to act in a multiway pot.

09-05-2005, 01:43 AM
You're preflop play was fine, KQo with 6 calls that's good. After the flop, I liked your bet, and the fact you 3 bet him and called the cap. To bad it's your first orbit, since you didn't have a read on the table, but I liked how you played the rest of the hand out. I would have put him on a high card draw, possibly suited, maybe A or K Js. Interested to know how the hand played out.

bob