PDA

View Full Version : Defending against a check- raise

davet
09-04-2005, 09:18 PM
I have been running into several players lately who like to use the check- raise, and not to any good benefit.

A few are legitimately raising, but I have caught more than one donk who is c/r with basically nothing at all. I would like to know what your auto- response is to these types of players.

Here are a few example hands.

Me: KK

Board: 8TQ- K- J

vs: c/r on the turn (wtf?)

My action: Called the c/r and raised the river.

Me: QQ

Board: JJ5- x-5

vs: c/r preflop, flop, turn.

My action: raise, raise, raise. Call.

Me: AKs

Board: AT3r - 7- 8

Vs: c/r on the flop.

My action: Call flop, Call turn for last of table stakes.

I would like to know what to do against these kinds of c/r's. during several instances, I look at my hand and wonder what is going on. Other times, I just know that they have absolutely nothing and wonder how to handle these people.

Anyway, would it be better to re- raise, or just call. I am implying that folding is incorrect in all of these situations.

I had very solid reads on all of these opponents, and none of them are LAG. I will say the results of all the hands below.

W. Deranged
09-04-2005, 09:22 PM
You've got way too many questions here to answer at once.

One piece of advice: If you know that villain is check-raising light, and will follow through with a bluff bet on the next street, it is often better to wait a street to raise to let your opponent put in the bluff money. Three-betting immediately may discourage future bluffing.

If, though, you think opponent will continue to juice the pot with poor crap, it can be better to just start charging immediately.

Harv72b
09-04-2005, 10:13 PM
As usual, W.D. basically covered it. I do (sort of) disagree with one piece of advice he gave, tho--an aggressive opponent might check/raise the turn, especially HU, if he has some kind of weak hand + draw or just picked up a stronger draw. For example, in your KK hand you might have been check/raised by JT or the case K with a J. In that case, your opponent will absolutely at least call your 3-bet on the turn, but depending on the river card might check/call or even check/fold there.

So if the board is ripe with draw potential and your opponent is aggressive, you're often better off 3-betting immediately.