PDA

View Full Version : NL100, I can't believe I made this fold.

People_Mover
09-04-2005, 08:30 PM
Best laydown in the history of my poker career......
100NL, I have 130.00, Villian has 150.00. We cover the table and are the tightest players at the table. He sits directly to my left.

I'm dealt pkt 1010 on the button. It folds to me and I raise to 4.00.

Both the SB (Villian) and BB call.

(12.00 pot) Flop is 10 5 5.

I check, check, check.

Turn 7. check, check, check.

River K.

I bet 4.50. Villian raises to 10. BB folds. I reraise to 23.00. Villian pushes for $150.00. Now, I sat there thinking, he would have reraised preflop with KK. The only hand that smokes me is quads.

I fold. Villian shows 55 for quads and I'm happy I still have some left.

I really don't know why I folded, but it just felt like the right thing to do.

jkkkk
09-04-2005, 08:34 PM
Bad fold, the only way you can justify this is if you think hes tricky enough to just call with KK pf, and then be stupid enough to check it flop and turn.

wdeadwyler
09-04-2005, 08:34 PM
You played this hand horribly. Bet the turn, say 1/2 pot. Dont fold.

People_Mover
09-05-2005, 12:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You played this hand horribly. Bet the turn, say 1/2 pot. Dont fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

and lose it all?

yvesaint
09-05-2005, 12:39 AM
With a spectacular read, I could see you making this laydown. In Neverland.

Bet the flop. Bet the turn. Bet the river.

kongo_totte
09-05-2005, 01:05 AM
You should go broke here every single time.

I bet the flop. Since you did not, bet the turn, since you did not, make sure to get it all in on the river.

Bukem_
09-05-2005, 01:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You should go broke here every single time.

I bet the flop. Since you did not, bet the turn, since you did not, make sure to get it all in on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

If this guy says you go broke, you go broke. 100%

wdeadwyler
09-05-2005, 01:12 AM
and lose it all?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

trevor
09-05-2005, 01:22 AM
Terrible results oriented justification for folding here. My god bet the turn!

aK13
09-05-2005, 01:37 AM
Nice brag post.

Extremely not +EV to fold.

Allinlife
09-05-2005, 01:45 AM
you hate money, don't you?

ajmargarine
09-05-2005, 02:24 AM
nh, nice read, nice fold, go with your gut.

Of course, this is coming from the guy who earlier today got put all-in preflop and "knew" the guy had AA and still called with KK. So, maybe I am a bit jaded.

MTBlue
09-05-2005, 04:30 AM
This may be the worst played hand in the history of poker. Bet the flop Bet the turn Bet the river and call the all-in.This sucked. I'm happy that he turned over one of 4 combinations that beat you. and btw please play in my game.

Niwa
09-05-2005, 07:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
you hate money, don't you?

[/ QUOTE ]

IamLeach
09-05-2005, 08:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Bet the flop. Bet the turn. Bet the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bad fold.

thatpfunk
09-05-2005, 08:38 AM
This has become a very funny thread.

IamLeach
09-05-2005, 08:41 AM
I second that. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

cianosheehan
09-05-2005, 08:44 AM
Ah lads...give the guy a break. I'd want to brag too if I made a fold like this. Fair play for having the discipline. Listen to everyones advice, but dont get disheartened. Learning strategy is far easier than having the discipline to apply it...so congrats, nice fold.

kongo_totte
09-05-2005, 09:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Ah lads...give the guy a break. I'd want to brag too if I made a fold like this. Fair play for having the discipline. Listen to everyones advice, but dont get disheartened. Learning strategy is far easier than having the discipline to apply it...so congrats, nice fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course having the discipline of making this kind of folds is all good and well, but with the read of the guy given, there is now way hero can't exclude 7 7 from villians range. Hero played the hand like a weirdly semi-over played A K and villian is likely to play accordingly. I'd say villian has 7 7, K 5, 7 5 more than 50% of the time so there is not really a question of "having the discipline" to make this fold. I think the fold is just plain bad.

Still, you should not get all down here OP. I certainly believe folding Ts full on this board is doable, I just don't think this is the time to do it, unless there is some read you left out in OP.

nWirb
09-05-2005, 02:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
and lose it all?

[/ QUOTE ]
There once was a guy named Broomcorn.
Broomcorn was playing in a 100NL game.
All folds to Broomcorn who is button and sits with pocket aces.
Broomcorn raises it to 4, two utterly insane maniacs, SB and BB, who would go all in every hand goes all in for 100$ each.
Broomcorn folds.
Villians flips over 23o and 45o. Board comes 33222 and Broomcorn just made the greatest play of his entire life, because he didn't lose his stack.

He kept folding every hand preflop for the rest of his life, because then he would never ever lose his stack.
What a great player Broomcorn was.

Reef
09-05-2005, 02:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Terrible results oriented justification for folding here.

[/ QUOTE ]

OP is the definition of weak tight

jbrock
09-05-2005, 03:34 PM
Kongo is right. You should go broke on this hand every time and be happy.

You have the third nuts (behind KK and 55). What hands would villain push with? 77, 57, K5, A5, T5, (Q-J5 if really bad). There are a ton of plausible boats out there that would be quite happy to get it in against possible open trips, decent kicker. You are far and away ahead of the range of hands that villain would push with in this situation and that is why you should call the all in. Off the top of my head I would hazard that you are a 90% favorite against the RANGE of hands that you could plausibly be up against. If you call a push on this board with your hand over time you will be rich. Very rich.

When people talk about results oriented thinking, it is like saying that getting your aces cracked by KK when you both get it all in preflop is immaterial -- the outcome does not matter. In that case (AA versus KK) the actual outcome of the distribution (range) of flop, turn, river is immaterial. Across the range, you will make money.

Here, the issue is the range of potential hands the villain would make that move with. You are ahead of that range by far and hence you must call. Yes, you saved money in this particular case, but you lost substantial Sklansky bucks (EV bucks).