PDA

View Full Version : emotions

09-04-2005, 08:20 PM
We've all been there. Well today i'm there. Just a day of getting my chips in with the best of it, and 1 and 2 outers hitting. Suddenly i find myself not as aggressive, not pushing correctly, almost scared to push b/c of the results i've been dealt today. Any advice on how to help me handle these emotional pitfalls and get my mind back on track?

axeshigh
09-04-2005, 08:28 PM
Take a few days off.

Annulus
09-04-2005, 08:29 PM
im not sure what your game is, but i will usually open a few $5 sngs and play as stupid as possible, usually just trying to bluff big pots and stuff, but that usually does the trick. of course taking a day or 2 off is the usualy advice.

beeyjay
09-04-2005, 08:40 PM
push every hand of a 5 dolla sng. i won one doing this cuz im butter like that.

09-04-2005, 08:50 PM
haha...i do feel a bit better....i'm playing a 30 multi and pushed 3 hands in a row and am up to 1900 in chips now. thx...and if i win 1st on the account of it....i'll say thank you again great googly moogly

09-04-2005, 09:20 PM
I recently went through a 30 buyin freefall in a few days time. It was excrutiating. I took two days off (worked, read, watched a couple movies). It did me well.

I also propped up my bankroll so I didn't have to worry about busting out for awhile. The result? Got all 30 buyins back in a few days time and then some. Variance!

I think the downward spiral does feed off itself, though. You try to tell yourself it's not affecting you, but it is really tough to play without the weight of the downturn getting to you. Thus, the need for the days off.

I also was playing "to win" with specific goals (new monitor, new laptop, moving up in buyins, etc.). I read Gigabet's post on "success and failure" and am really working on ridding myself of goals and contant fascination with ROI and bankroll. Obviously I still keep an eye on that stuff and I have some "levels" marked where I will take money out, buy a monitor, etc., but I have removed deadlines. They happen when they happen (if they happen) and the pressure is gone. I'm trying to play hand by hand and it seems to be working so far (or I'm just on a heater). /images/graemlins/wink.gif

The Don
09-04-2005, 09:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
push every hand of a 5 dolla sng. i won one doing this cuz im butter like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do this too... quite entertaining. My best is 5th.