PDA

View Full Version : on 60 minutes tonight- echo boomers

Voltron87
09-04-2005, 07:43 PM
Did anyone just see that? That was probably the most bullshit piece of "reporting" I've ever seen. It made 60 minutes look pathetic, and I'm not convinced it isn't today.

DoubleDown
09-04-2005, 08:35 PM
yes a disappointing installment indeed
also bummed that Andy Rooney took the week off

i found the piece on medical tourism pretty interesting tho
is this common? have any 2+2ers gone to a 3rd world country to have a medical procedure (i.e. cosmetic surgery, coronary bypass, hip replacement, etc.) done on the cheap? would you feel safe having a quadruple bypass in thailand/india?

LethalRose
09-04-2005, 08:36 PM
and an echo boomer is?

Lazymeatball
09-04-2005, 08:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
and an echo boomer is?

[/ QUOTE ]

Google found me this article (http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/10/01/60minutes/main646890.shtml)

LethalRose
09-04-2005, 08:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
and an echo boomer is?

[/ QUOTE ]

Google found me this article (http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/10/01/60minutes/main646890.shtml)

[/ QUOTE ]

oh snap, I'am an echo boomer.

smb394
09-04-2005, 09:17 PM
I think the birth date range of 1982-1995 is a bit too wide. I think the early end should be pushed back a bit.

Spaded
09-04-2005, 10:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think the birth date range of 1982-1995 is a bit too wide. I think the early end should be pushed back a bit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. My mother is a baby boomer and she had me when she was 30. I was born in '81. All these "echo boomers" must have been born when their mothers were 30-45. Most babies are born to mothers in their late 20s.

09-04-2005, 10:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
and an echo boomer is?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

oh snap, I'am an echo boomer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto. Aren't we a bit too young to have a segment about us? I mean...the oldest one, by definition, is 23. $170 billion of a country with GDP in the trillions is not really that big a deal. Talk about a sensationalist number.

-AC

smb394
09-05-2005, 12:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. My mother is a baby boomer and she had me when she was 30. I was born in '81. All these "echo boomers" must have been born when their mothers were 30-45. Most babies are born to mothers in their late 20s.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Baby Boomers were born between the years 1946-1964. So, a baby born in '95 could've had a 31 year-old mother...or a 49 year-old mother. These ranges seem so wide. Being born in '82, I do not quite see the connection between someone my age and someone born in the early 90s.

One thing they mention is the 500 TV channels and internet. I believe we were at 28.8k modems when I was entering high school. AIM use was sparse.

Interesting cultural study, but I think they need to be more rigorous.

Voltron87
09-05-2005, 12:45 AM
my complaint with the segment was how vague their descriptions were, and how most of the stuff they were saying doesnt make the echo generation that different from previous 15-25 generations.

first, they said "this generation is more into teamwork, the student council, model UN. they have structured lives, soccer on monday, karate on tuesday, and so on. they are used to college counselors telling them exactly what they have to do. they are used to getting awards feeling special, as well as grade inflation. they grew up with ipods, the internet, etc, [they list all the high tech stuff kids have today] "

then they brought on some academic who said "when these kids get to the workplace, they are going to expect to be pampered, get lots of feedback, and be put on a fast track to success, since that is how they were treated in high school. they expect to be special and creative, and will soon find out that that is not how the workplace works."

the first part would be incredibly vague if they were talking about one person. theyre talking about 50 million. [censored] stupid.

the second part, the second part is especially dumb. this is called growing up. every generation of kids in the US is pampered (relative to the rest of the world), and then when they are 18-22 they go off to work and start dealing with the real world. not an earthshattering conclusion.

There was so much wrong with that segment. I'm only recalling this from memory, I missed a lot and I'm playing poker right now so this is inbetween hands. Anyone who saw it must know what I mean. I was watching it with my dad and we were just looking at each other like "WTF are they talking about?!?"

ChipWrecked
09-05-2005, 01:10 AM
I was born in '63. First in my dad's second family. He was 38.

My daughter was born when I was 39. That's like two generations skipped.

She'll probably be the only kid in her class whose grandfather was a WWII vet.

MrMon
09-05-2005, 03:43 AM
Never thought about it, but my son is the same. My wife was born in 1962 (so was I), our son was born in 2001, her dad was in WW II. Wow.

Think about this one - John Tyler, 10th President of the United States, was born in 1790. His grandson was still alive in 1993. (Checking the family tree, good chance he's still alive, he had grandsons born in 1924 and 1928.)