PDA

View Full Version : Slowplaying AA

09-04-2005, 06:32 PM
I rarely if ever slowplay AA and I'm not a fan of the limp-reraise.

What about calling a raise or reraise with AA if you are last to act? i.e., guaranteed heads-up with someone showing preflop aggression.

Seems to me like all the reasons to raise preflop are accomplished (build a pot, isolate) and you are facing an opponent who you are definitely beating and likely dominating.

Thoughts?

jwsly1
09-04-2005, 06:55 PM
I see no problem calling a raise or reraise, if the other player is going to do the betting for you. However, there are other factors I will look at too.
like...
How many chips I have left; What are the average number of chips left at the table; where the blinds are; How many chips the other player has left; etc.

The answers to these question may determine whether I want to get all my chips in before the flop or not, or how aggressive I may want to be after the flop. If the flop has a potential flush or straight draw open, I will bet more to make it less likely for them to draw out on me.

It is heartbreaking watching someone try to slow-play an AA and get out draw by 78s, because they let them see the turn and river too cheaply.

So overall I agree - for what it is worth - but there are other things that need to be considered in my opinion.

GL

ReDeYES88
09-04-2005, 07:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I rarely if ever slowplay AA and I'm not a fan of the limp-reraise.

What about calling a raise or reraise with AA if you are last to act? i.e., guaranteed heads-up with someone showing preflop aggression.

Seems to me like all the reasons to raise preflop are accomplished (build a pot, isolate) and you are facing an opponent who you are definitely beating and likely dominating.

Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

. .interesting concept. ..but in a way it is still a form of slow playing, no?

.your goal with AA is to get as many chips into the pot as possible as early as possible. In most instances the best time to get your opponents to put chips into the pot is before any of the common cards are seen. All they are playing are the two cards in their hand (and the actions of others), and it is more likely that they will call a raise or reraise preflop, before missing their hand 2/3 of the time on the flop, accomplishing our goal of getting chips in the pot.

I would never just flat call a reraise with AA preflop. It's just too good of a situation that's begging to get all of your chips in the middle preflop against an underpair.

I might flat call a big raise preflop if it is made by the right sort of opponent (one that is almost guaranteed to CB the flop).

Otherwise I'm trying to figure out the best sized bet to make preflop that will be called.

09-04-2005, 09:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It is heartbreaking watching someone try to slow-play an AA and get out draw by 78s, because they let them see the turn and river too cheaply.

[/ QUOTE ]

In my hypothetical, the point is that suited connectors probably aren't raising and definitely not reraising preflop. While I want to get chips in early, I sort of consider this a safe "trap" since the hands I am most likely up against in this scenario are AK or an underpair which I am crushing.

09-04-2005, 09:30 PM
No, never ever. Cash tables maybe. sng's and MTT's there's going to be fireworks when i got aces. I may go bust in the process, but i'm not looking back. Just a side note, for those that love the slowplay of aces, i love playing suited connectors and picking you off just for slowplaying em. HAH. great googly moogly

09-04-2005, 09:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
No, never ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I wouldn't go THAT far. I think there is a time and place to slowplay, although those are few and far between. I wouldn't limp with Aces, but I can see times where calling a raise may be in order.

09-04-2005, 10:06 PM
okay, i'll add to my previous response. Please bare in mind i just had aces slowplayed on me in a MTT and got knocked out so i may have been a bit biased in that response. With a few raises out in front sometimes it's correct to just play 2nd hand low b/c of the fact that nobody will suspect aces and u can extract further bets. Only other time i'll give some free cards with aces is with A rag rag. With no threat of a draw of any kind. It's okay to give a free card to let someone try and catch up to you and make a piece of their hand. but i see aces misplayed a lot. People giving free cards with flush draws out there. And i see aces get beat a lot for the same reason. I say put the fear of god in em if you got the aces.

GoSharks
09-05-2005, 07:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Only other time i'll give some free cards with aces is with A rag rag. With no threat of a draw of any kind. It's okay to give a free card to let someone try and catch up to you and make a piece of their hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I promise I'm not trying to yank your chain or flame you, just wanted to mention that unless you flop a boat, an ace on the flop ALWAYS leaves someone either with a made straight or a draw to a straight, there are no combinations of cards that fit your criteria here, other than a pair on board (but then you'd welcome drawing hands to come after you).

Of course, some hands are unlikely in a raised pot, but you didn't actually specify whether or not it was a raised pot in your hypothetical situation. You did say 'a few raises out front', but that was followed by 'the only other time. . .' Since the general thread has been about slowplaying aces, I think it's reasonable for someone to assume you were referring to an unraised pot.

Anyway, just being a nit 8^D

09-05-2005, 10:35 AM
I like calling in your given scenario. I'm a big believer in mixing up your play ie. I think it's wrong to never slow play AA. Never is usually a bad word when formulating poker strategy.

I sometimes even open limp with AA but almost always this would be UTG in level 1 or 2.

There's risk/reward with every decision. Sure you sometimes get busted slowplaying aces but that doesn't mean it should never be done. Many times I have raised with AA only to have everyone fold that doesn't mean I should never raise with AA right? I guess what I'm trying to say is people who always play certain holdings the same way are not playing optimally IMO.