PDA

View Full Version : Golden opportunity to check-raise?

GoCubsGo
09-04-2005, 04:48 PM
I've been trying to incorporate this into my game more and more. Sometimes it can be very useful, and maybe some people are paying attention and I get a little respect for my checks. I hardly ever check-raise, so I'm not yet a master at it. Here's an example of a time it seemed appropriate. MP2 is a huge fish (47/2)

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

MP1 ($76.70)
MP2 ($53.25)
MP3 ($44.75)
CO ($96.85)
Button ($22.75)
SB ($48.25)
Hero ($40.50)
UTG ($63.55)
UTG+1 ($148.90)

Preflop: Hero is BB with J/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG calls $0.50, UTG+1 calls $0.50, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls $0.50, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls $0.50, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero checks.

Flop: ($2.75) 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets $2.5</font>, MP2 calls $2.50, CO folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $8</font>, UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP2 calls $5.50.

Turn: ($21.25) 6/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $10</font>, MP2 folds.

Final Pot: $31.25

Allinlife
09-04-2005, 04:55 PM
looks good, bet more on turn tho

09-04-2005, 04:56 PM
If you know someone will bet go for it but that board is a bit dangerous for a check-raise if no one bets. Theres a bunch of straight draws and a flush draw there.

theben
09-04-2005, 05:10 PM
why do you feel the checkraise is such a key move for NLHE? its not

JaBlue
09-04-2005, 05:16 PM
You don't want them to think that everytime you check you will never raise.

mayesie
09-04-2005, 05:29 PM
Is there a reason for not raising pre-flop, being that you were OOP and should be trying to weed out the B.S hands? I think the c/r is a bit risky because it's an unraised pot w/ 4 opponents (you could easily be against 2-pair or a set). At this level, players will limp w/ just about anything (making it difficult to put your opponent on a hand or group of hands).

If you raise pre-flop, I like your c/r alot more against an aggressive opponent.

Komodo
09-04-2005, 05:46 PM
Looks good

GoCubsGo
09-04-2005, 06:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Is there a reason for not raising pre-flop, being that you were OOP and should be trying to weed out the B.S hands? I think the c/r is a bit risky because it's an unraised pot w/ 4 opponents (you could easily be against 2-pair or a set). At this level, players will limp w/ just about anything (making it difficult to put your opponent on a hand or group of hands).

If you raise pre-flop, I like your c/r alot more against an aggressive opponent.

[/ QUOTE ]
Raise AJ oop? That's a no no.

mayesie
09-04-2005, 06:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Raise AJ oop? That's a no no.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree w/ your guideline; it's simply too generic. /images/graemlins/smile.gif These games have community pots where players are limping in w/ all kinds of junk. If anything, being OOP is the very reason to raise p/f. You'd like to try to end the hand quickly. There's no rule that says you have to keep playing if someone is sandbagging (usually not the case) &amp; comes over the top.

Based on the information provided in the hand, I see no reason to think anyone is holding anything better than AJ.

BoxTree
09-04-2005, 06:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Based on the information provided in the hand, I see no reason to think anyone is holding anything better than AJ.

[/ QUOTE ]

UTG and UTG+1 have deep stacks and limped in early position. That's a common play for AK and AQ.

elus2
09-04-2005, 06:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
why do you feel the checkraise is such a key move for NLHE?

[/ QUOTE ]

because it allows villain to make compound his mistake on a single street. instead of taking a fractional pot bet you may succeed in getting villain to dump in 2x+ the pot.

elus2
09-04-2005, 06:44 PM
don't overplay tptk in a limped pot.

mayesie
09-04-2005, 07:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

UTG and UTG+1 have deep stacks and limped in early position. That's a common play for AK and AQ.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sorry, but I don't see too much limping in EP with these hands. Even if this is the case, It's also a common play for any trash hand that people love to play at 50.00 NLHE (and much more likely, IMO).

All I'm saying is that making a statement like "never raise AJ OOP" is useless. At tables where players are more selective pre-flop, I tend to agree that raising AJ OOP is usually not correct. However, I see very few 50.00 tables that meet this criteria.