PDA

View Full Version : AA UTG WCOOP #1

MicroBob
09-04-2005, 04:35 PM
Okay...maybe I'm being results oriented here...but in today's WCOOP main-event I get AA UTG on the very first hand.

We're all brand new...everyone is going to play fairly conservative for the most part.
I just know that raising from UTG will only steal the blinds.

So, naturally, I raise from UTG (3xBB) and it just steals the blinds.

Is limping or raising minimum any more justified for the first hand of the tournament? Just thinking in general terms of the psychology I guess.

shaniac
09-04-2005, 04:38 PM
Just be happy with the 30 chips you picked up.

I don't think limping first hand of a tournament like this is a good option. Most of the time you get action on AA is when someone else has a big hand, and if you find out someone has a big hand after the flop, it's usually pretty bad for AA.

09-04-2005, 04:39 PM
nah, limping in is not an option since AA can get you into real trouble if one of them hit two pair, flush draw, you name it... Just have to live by the fact that you got them on a bad time.

MicroBob
09-04-2005, 04:42 PM
Yeah. I know.

Always shoulbe happy with AA of course...and post-flop can be BAD news if your opponent is sticking around.

It was just kind of weird.
Very first hand and i'm UTG with AA and I'm suddenly confused if announcing my presence with a first-hand raise is really that great.
but all you can really do is hope somebody else has TT-KK or AK-AQ and be willing to play back at you.

fooz
09-04-2005, 04:47 PM
I know how you feel.

I got AA for my first hand in TWO different tourneys at Legends of Poker.
I limped the first time and ran into trouble when two K's came on the flop and I had to fold to some serious pressure.
I learned my lesson and stole the blinds the second time. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

MicroBob
09-04-2005, 05:01 PM
Reminds me of a hand I played in one of my first live poker sessions.

3/6 limit at Gold Strike in Tunica.

I get AA on the button.
It's capped before it gets to me.

7 to the flop of KQQ.

Only 1 bet to call...so I get to stay in with my AA just for the odds of hitting the full-house.

Turn is another K.

EP bets and MP raises and EP is already grabbing his chips to re-raise. So I no longer have pot-odds to chase my A and I fold.

River is naturally an ace and I would have won a HUGE pot (well...huge for 3/6 anyway).

KJs and K2o split the pot.

MicroBob
09-04-2005, 05:09 PM
Just got QQ UTG. Har-har.

More excitement this time though.

I raise 4x.
SB calls.

Flop 832r.

SB checks. Pot is 270 or so...I bet 210.
SB raises (minimum I believe).

I put him on an over-pair LESS than QQ (otherwise I'm guessing he would raise pre-flop).
I'm also thinking that HE is putting ME on AK or AQ (betting almost pot on the flop as I did).

I re-raise all-in (have him covered by a little...will have 600 left if I lose...there's also enough of a chance that he has an Ace-something that I don't want to drag it out any further).

He thinks for awhile (at which point I KNOW I'm ahead so I'm not worried whether he is going to call or not....if he ahead it would have been an insta-call most likely)...then he folds.

How'd I do?

adanthar
09-04-2005, 05:17 PM
You know, on the first hand, I'd just push, as I do in other high buyins. Let's put it this way: it's probably +EV over raising if it works one in ten times, and there's certainly enough donkeys that qualified in...

The other hand, if you put him on a JJ-99 pair, just call him and then get his chips on the turn.

MicroBob
09-04-2005, 05:30 PM
pushing on hand 1 - interesting idea

calling on hand 2 and dragging it out - probably better. although taking it down and avoiding the uncomfortability of a K or A on turn or river (and chance of getting bluffed off it) is nice too just for my own sanity.
But I suspect I should have just called.

shaniac
09-04-2005, 06:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
pushing on hand 1 - interesting idea

[/ QUOTE ]

I did this once in a Party Sunday $200. Several limpers and I just shoved with AA. KT called and I doubled up.