PDA

View Full Version : Contact Lenses

Moneyline
09-04-2005, 04:33 PM
How long did it take you to get used to them?

I got mine on Thursday and they're pissing me off. Sometimes it takes me like 45 minutes to put them in, and if it takes a long time to put a lens in, my eye will feel somewhat painful for the next couple hours. I'd like to be able to wear them comfortably, but that just hasn't started happening yet. Is all hope lost? /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Voltron87
09-04-2005, 04:37 PM
youll get used to them, dont worry. it will get progessively easier until its a snap.

MrTrik
09-04-2005, 04:41 PM
I first got contacts at age 16. I had to get up two hours early for school for a little while to make sure I could get them in in time to make it on time.

Now I can put them in without even a mirror in about 10 seconds total from closed case to closed case. The long time to put them in lasted a couple weeks or so. Taking them out was never as hard for me but of course was a lot harder in the earliest days.

scotty34
09-04-2005, 04:42 PM
I'm trying out Night & Day's right now. Put them in, wear for ~30 days, take them out, toss and put new ones in. My eyes are a little itchy in the mornings, but substantially better than when I would have accidentally left them in overnight with previous types. Overall, I find them very comfortable.

okayplayer
09-04-2005, 04:44 PM
I tried them at the end of last year (I don't really need them, my vision isn't too bad; I just wear glasses if I'm going to a sporting event, driving somewhere I've never been or watching TV at a far distance), and I didn't like them. Apparently, I have one eyeball that is an odd shape and none of the lenses really fit right. They tried both types of lenses (regular and torik(sp?)), but the doc said that I just have an eyeball where neither lens will fit perfect. I tried wearing the one lens, but that was kinda strange, so i just went back to having less than stellar vision, and wearing glasses when I need to.

As for the getting used to, it took me about 4 or 5 days of gradually increasing the amount of time I wore them to get used to them (atleast the one that fit). However, I couldn't wear them when I was sitting at the computer screen, they really strained my eyes. Almost everyone else I talked to though, likes contacts and says that they don't even notice them.

ddss6_99
09-04-2005, 04:53 PM
I tried twice, and got so frustrated at how long it took me to get them in and out, if I could get them in at all, that I just said screw it. I'm planning on getting lasik surgery soon anyway, just need to save up a little bit more money.

Huskiez
09-04-2005, 04:59 PM
I started wearing them in middle school. They were at first very difficult to put on. I needed my sister to put them in while I held open my eyes.

After a couple weeks it becomes considerably easier. Stick with it.

RacersEdge
09-04-2005, 05:12 PM
I had major issues with getting them in too whenI first got them - probably about the same time it takes you, and my eyes would be red. But it gets much easier. I still need a mirror - and it takes me maybe 2 minutes to get them in - but I never have problems with them after that. They're so comfortable, I actually wear them too long before tossing them.

CrashPat
09-04-2005, 08:34 PM
give it 2 weeks and it will take you an instant to put them in. You just have to get over the fear of touching your eye, or that it does not seem natural. Get some drops too, after being someplace smokey or using the computer for a long time my eyes dry out horribly, eyedrops help and are cheap.

New001
09-04-2005, 08:36 PM
I tried for about 30 minutes to put some in at the eye place and couldn't /images/graemlins/frown.gif I decided not to buy them after that.

bisonbison
09-04-2005, 08:53 PM
You'll get used to it. I got them a couple months ago and it took me a couple of weeks. Now I put them in on the first try almost every time and I feel like a goddamned hero.

malo
09-05-2005, 10:36 AM
Been wearing contacts since I was 15.....which means I've been wearing them probably longer than most folks on these forums have been alive.

It's tricky at first, but it's like learning to ride a bicycle. Difficult, but once you get it, it's quick and easy to get them in and out.

I started wearing hard lenses (all they had back then) and found the adaptation to soft painless a few years ago. For a newbie......couple weeks to adapt.

Personal theory: the worse your eyes are, the more committed you are to contacts. People who only need glasses at the movies or driving sometimes don't have the motivation.

peterchi
09-05-2005, 11:09 AM
Couple weeks and you'll be fine I think.

I can never put mine in without a mirror. That always impresses me when others do it.