PDA

View Full Version : Best RPG Ever - Nominations

scotty34
09-04-2005, 04:09 PM
I don't think this has been done before. I'm going to hold a series of polls for the different categories of video games to determine what the best game is in each category. After this has been done, the winners will all be put in a single poll for OOT to determine what the greatest video game of all time is. This is open to any gaming console.

Categories will be RPG's, Shooters (first and third person), Adventure, Sports, Fighters, Strategy and Driving (I think driving deserves a category separate from sports because of games such as GTA). Are there any categories I'm forgetting?

Submit your nominations for best RPG game in this thread. I will kick it off with Final Fantasy VII.

jakethebake
09-04-2005, 04:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think this has been done before.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're so wrong.

TStoneMBD
09-04-2005, 04:12 PM
i think i remember seeing a rpg poll competition before and iirc FF7 annhiliated.

jakethebake
09-04-2005, 04:15 PM
For my money, it's this one...

http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/rpg-7-launcher.gif

scotty34
09-04-2005, 04:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think this has been done before.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're so wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was aware that there was an RPG poll before, but has the best game of all time been done? I could go dig up the RPG poll, and use the results of that, then skip on to Shooters or something.

UCF THAYER
09-04-2005, 04:25 PM
I'm currently replaying Super Mario RPG, what a fun game!

bugstud
09-04-2005, 04:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm currently replaying Super Mario RPG, what a fun game!

[/ QUOTE ]

ditto

earthbound and chrono trigger ought to be on the list but FF's will sadly obliterate them

Trump
09-04-2005, 04:28 PM
Diablo 2

scotty34
09-04-2005, 04:30 PM
I really liked Diablo II. I've never played World of Warcraft or Everquest but I've heard a lot of good things about both of those (EQ is an RPG, correct?).

chuddo
09-04-2005, 04:32 PM
original final fantasy - nintendo
shining force 1 and 2 - genesis
suikoden - playstation

UCF THAYER
09-04-2005, 04:34 PM
I would say that Super Mario RPG and Earthbound are the most fun RPG's, but FF7 is the greatest RPG.

If that makes any sense.

Eurotrash
09-04-2005, 04:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
shining force 1 and 2 - genesis
suikoden - playstation

[/ QUOTE ]

solid picks, especially Shining Force (although there werent too many good RPGs on Genesis.) I've not really played any of the Suikoden series though, although I hear good things. I've been meaning to try to get them somehow

I'll toss out Destiny of an Emperor for NES, that was a cool game.

edit: and all the Dragon Warriors for NES

DrunkHamster
09-04-2005, 04:37 PM
Fallout, and believe me it ain't close. If none of you have ever played this, I'm crying myself to sleep tonight.

spaminator101
09-04-2005, 04:42 PM
original mario for NES

spaminator101
09-04-2005, 04:43 PM
whups didn't realize this is only RPG

scotty34
09-04-2005, 04:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
original mario for NES

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that belongs more in the Adventure category.

Phoenix1010
09-04-2005, 04:56 PM
This has been talked about at length, but not for a month or so. The result will not be even remotely close, but it's still fun to talk about.

Strategy RPGs (FFT, Ogre Battle) should be left out, as should action/adventure RPGs (Zelda) to avoid comparing apples and oranges. I would also suggest differentiating between console and PC games.

Games that won't be nominated by anyone but me, but are all among the very best:
FFV
Lunar the Silver Star
Grandia
Xenogears
Dragon Warrior VII
Breath of Fire III
Panzer Dragoon Saga
Shining Force III
Chrono Cross

chuddo
09-04-2005, 04:56 PM
suikoden was pretty sweet because you could get like 108 different people in your party, which im always gay for.

also there were different types of battles and whatnot.

Weatherhead03
09-04-2005, 04:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Final Fantasy VII

[/ QUOTE ]

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!!
09-04-2005, 05:01 PM
TMNT

Raydain
09-04-2005, 05:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Breath of Fire III

[/ QUOTE ]

Breath of Fire III was bad

spaminator101
09-04-2005, 05:23 PM
Yes i know thats why i corrected myself. Never played too many RGPs though.

Phoenix1010
09-04-2005, 05:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Breath of Fire III

[/ QUOTE ]

Breath of Fire III was bad

[/ QUOTE ]

It wasn't bad, but not particularly good. I threw it in there out of personal taste.

Voltron87
09-04-2005, 05:35 PM
fallout 1 and 2

i see that only one other person has mentioned fallout. you cant actually be having a serious conversation without having fallout mentioned.

DrunkHamster
09-04-2005, 05:36 PM
1 was better, but at least someone is on the same wavelength.

Macdaddy Warsaw
09-04-2005, 05:38 PM
Vagrant Story was pretty awesome. Ashley Riot is a badass and a badass name.

Voltron87
09-04-2005, 05:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i edited it to include it. im still pissed that the 3rd got derailed.

KDawgCometh
09-04-2005, 05:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Games that won't be nominated by anyone but me, but are all among the very best:
FFV
Xenogears
Chrono Cross

[/ QUOTE ]

I think FFVI was much better then V, in fact I think that VI is the best one and VII is right behind it in a very close race. I loved playing Xenogears, but haven't played Chrono Cross, is it a lot better then Chrono Trigger

My votes are FFVII, FFVI, Chrono Trigger, FFX, the Phantasy Star series(too many games for me to really pick one out of the bunch)

DrunkHamster
09-04-2005, 05:45 PM
I know, it looked unbelievably sweet. Shame the real Fallout 3 is gonna suck compared to the first 2. It's inevitable.

Klepton
09-04-2005, 05:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
fallout 1 and 2

i see that only one other person has mentioned fallout. you cant actually be having a serious conversation without having fallout mentioned.

[/ QUOTE ]

1 was way better than the second, and to date this is still my favorite computer game ever. and my favorite RPG

but FFVII will still win on principal.

John Ho
09-04-2005, 05:51 PM
Ultima V.

Of course it's extremely dated at this point but the story was great.

Phoenix1010
09-04-2005, 05:54 PM
VI and VII are always the popular choices for the series. V always gets overlooked, partially because it wasn't released in the US until many years after it's time. The job system in V craps all over the espers and materia from the later games. Galuf is one of the funniest characters in the series. VI and VII are going to be heavyweights in whatever poll comes of this, I was just getting some more obscure games in the mix.

Chrono Cross is not better than Chrono Trigger, but not many games are. It's still one of the best.

FlashFunk
09-04-2005, 06:08 PM
1. Final Fantasy VII
2. Final Fanatasy 3 (US)
3. Chrono Trigger

TimTimSalabim
09-04-2005, 06:36 PM
I had the most fun playing Daggerfall. But it was also the most frustrating.

Redd
09-04-2005, 06:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm also on that wavelength.

Eurotrash
09-04-2005, 08:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
FFV
Lunar the Silver Star
Grandia
Xenogears
Dragon Warrior VII
Breath of Fire III
Panzer Dragoon Saga
Shining Force III
Chrono Cross

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't played FFV all the way through and haven't played Panzer Dragoon Saga at all, but I wouldn't think you're so cool for "being the only one to suggest the others"

most of those would be on my list of favorites. And Chrono Cross is horribly overrated. Xenogears may be the best of all time.

Uethym
09-04-2005, 08:51 PM
Fallout clearly wins, but I'm stunned to not see:

Planescape: Torment
Betrayal at Krondor

09-04-2005, 09:17 PM
Fallout, Torment, and Daggerfall.

Hamish McBagpipe
09-04-2005, 09:25 PM
Zaxxon.

TimTimSalabim
09-04-2005, 09:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Betrayal at Krondor

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, that one was awesome! I was going to nominate it earlier, but I couldn't think of the name of it. I suspect the young'uns in here have never heard of it.

Phoenix1010
09-04-2005, 11:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
FFV
Lunar the Silver Star
Grandia
Xenogears
Dragon Warrior VII
Breath of Fire III
Panzer Dragoon Saga
Shining Force III
Chrono Cross

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't played FFV all the way through and haven't played Panzer Dragoon Saga at all, but I wouldn't think you're so cool for "being the only one to suggest the others"

most of those would be on my list of favorites. And Chrono Cross is horribly overrated. Xenogears may be the best of all time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not going to be straining to look cool in a thread about one of the dorkiest hobbies in existence. I was just throwing some of the less widely appreciated games into the discussion.

If you can find Panzer Dragoon Saga somewhere, you really should. It's kind of short, but it's easily one of the best games of that generation. Chrono Cross is horribly unlucky for being the sequel to a game that can never be adequately followed up. Xenogears should have been the greatest of all time, despite it's flaws, but the developers seemingly gave up by the time they got to the second disk (which is almost understandable, because that game is a behemoth).

To the guy who mentioned Vagrant Story, I'm with you, great game. The guy behind that game (and FF Tactics) is currently in charge of FFXII, so I'm pretty pumped.

Oh and another underappreciated great: Skies of Arcadia. One of my top five.

Eurotrash
09-04-2005, 11:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm not going to be straining to look cool in a thread about one of the dorkiest hobbies in existence. I was just throwing some of the less widely appreciated games into the discussion.

[/ QUOTE ]

i realize. I was basically just giving you a hard time, but what you said just came across as a little bit holier-than-thou in an RPG knowledge kind of way. you were insulting my honor as a guy who knows quite a few games and I just felt I had to speak up /images/graemlins/grin.gif

gumpzilla
09-04-2005, 11:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Planescape: Torment
Betrayal at Krondor

[/ QUOTE ]

Both of these were pretty good games, but it was frustrating that unless you were into world-class tedium, you couldn't really become fully powered in Torment until right at the very end when it was completely useless to do so (I didn't get high enough mage levels to cast anything higher than 6th level spells until right before the final fight), and I got sick of Krondor about the time I was thrown in to handle 1,000,000 Nighthawks or whatever they were with two party members and (if I remember correctly) no equipment until you found it somewhere in the dungeon.

Fallout was a great game, I'd love to play 2 (haven't yet.)

EDIT: Some other very solid contenders: Ultima IV, Ultima Underworld (that game kicked double ass, I'd love to find a copy). If you liked Underworld and would like something that plays similarly, is more modern and not quite as good, try Arx Fatalis. It's a pretty fun game.

Phoenix1010
09-04-2005, 11:56 PM
Haha my bad. Much respect to anyone who has wasted as much productivity playing these things as I have.

KowCiller
09-05-2005, 12:12 AM
Original FF was great and so far ahead of it's time.
FF3 was also insanely good.

All time best RPG in my opinion has to be given to Baldur's Gate II for the PC. What an incredible game...unfortunately most of you probably haven't played it.

KoW

ThaSaltCracka
09-05-2005, 12:30 AM
I like Kingdom Hearts, Pokemon(original), Super Marios RPG, and Baldurs Gate.

smokingrobot
09-05-2005, 03:37 AM
shining force was the bomb.

smokingrobot
09-05-2005, 03:39 AM
howe about some dragon warrior ya'll?

baumer
09-05-2005, 03:47 AM
No one thinks Final Fantasy II deserves mention?
(Unless it's been mention under some japanese release name that's different.)

Don't you remember that awesome feeling when you finally learned Meteo with Rydia?
When Edge was holding the Masamune and the Murasame?
Fighting the four elementals in that giant robot?

Man, that game was awesome.

Eurotrash
09-05-2005, 03:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
No one thinks Final Fantasy II deserves mention?
(Unless it's been mention under some japanese release name that's different.)

Don't you remember that awesome feeling when you finally learned Meteo with Rydia?
When Edge was holding the Masamune and the Murasame?
Fighting the four elementals in that giant robot?

Man, that game was awesome.

[/ QUOTE ]

FF2/FF4 was definitely one of my favorites

imported_CaseClosed326
09-05-2005, 03:58 AM
I hope I was not alone in loving this game.

Sword Of Vermilion for Sega. I need to get that game again.

dicelumpY2005
09-05-2005, 08:01 AM
I'm still addicted to Shining Force I and II... What system did III come out for? Was that Sega CD or something? I never got to experience III, and will have to someday... FF7..absolutely bad-ass... No mention in the entire thread about Star Ocean? I liked it... Not that they're on the very top of my list, but hats off to the Dragon Warrior series on NES that got me into RPGs...

Macdaddy Warsaw
09-05-2005, 08:07 AM
Shining Force III was on the Saturn. It was split up into 3 episodes and only one came out in the US. The other two are available as (expensive ass) imports...The episoes tell the story from the viewpoints of 3 different characters.

And Shining Force III is pretty awesome. I may actually go into my basement and dig out my old Saturn system and play Shining Force III and Panzer Dragoon Saga (another great RPG). I think PDS sells for a bit of coin on ebay now too...

jar
09-05-2005, 12:22 PM
PC: Fallout 1/2
Console: original Final Fantasy on the NES.

7ontheline
09-05-2005, 02:16 PM
All you console boys make me feel so old, and I'm not. (I don't think, anyway).

My best, in vague chronological order:

Bard's Tale (orginal, not crappy console version)
Ultima 7
Betrayal at Krondor
FF7
Baldur's Gate II

Uglyowl
09-05-2005, 03:39 PM
The decline of final fantasy games is only rivaled by the Yankees fall.

I started to play the newer ones and was bored silly. Too much story line for my liking. At the beginning you should be killing blue slimes, not watch a movie about stuff.

Niwa
09-05-2005, 03:43 PM
Diablo II LoD sure got me hooked..

Phoenix1010
09-05-2005, 04:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm still addicted to Shining Force I and II... What system did III come out for? Was that Sega CD or something? I never got to experience III, and will have to someday... FF7..absolutely bad-ass... No mention in the entire thread about Star Ocean? I liked it... Not that they're on the very top of my list, but hats off to the Dragon Warrior series on NES that got me into RPGs...

[/ QUOTE ]

SFIII was a Saturn game that like five people played. It was split into three different games, each from another character's perspective. And the three characters each had cameos and intertwining storylines, despite each having their own parties and main quests. Basically the coolest idea of all time. Unfourtunately, only the first episode was released in the U.S. and I don't know Japanese. I'm still pissed about that. The episode we did get was easily the best game in the series, and that's saying something. Oh, and the whole game was a sequel to Shining the Holy Ark, which was a standard style RPG for the Saturn which I loved. The main character of episode three was actually the grown up version of a child NPC from Ark who's parents were killed by the Vandals. Someone really needs to translate those next two episodes and get them on an emulator...

I played Star Ocean 2, and I really liked it. The item synthesis stuff in there was lots of fun, and I liked the battle system. Old school Enix (before it was absorbed into corporate RPG machine INC., AKA Square EA) RPGs can't be bad. Star Ocean: Till the End of Time just came out to pretty good reviews recently, but I don't think I'll get a chance to play it, like so many games these days. Times like this I wish I could be a 15 year old high school kid willing to fail English to build up my characters forever.

Stuck
09-05-2005, 04:55 PM
No mention of Morrowind yet? Seems to be the only game that really nailed the roleplaying aspect.

Eurotrash
09-05-2005, 05:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I played Star Ocean 2, and I really liked it. The item synthesis stuff in there was lots of fun, and I liked the battle system. Old school Enix (before it was absorbed into corporate RPG machine INC., AKA Square EA) RPGs can't be bad. Star Ocean: Till the End of Time just came out to pretty good reviews recently, but I don't think I'll get a chance to play it, like so many games these days. Times like this I wish I could be a 15 year old high school kid willing to fail English to build up my characters forever.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm beginning to think our gaming experiences are pretty similar Phoenix /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

MarkL444
09-05-2005, 05:10 PM
im voting WoW, but ive only played so many.

DrunkHamster
09-05-2005, 05:29 PM
Yeah cos everyone you talk to in real life has exactly the same responses as the rest of the village...

I don't know how most of you guys haven't played fallout, but its your loss. It's still awesome now, even with crappy graphics.

lil_o
09-05-2005, 05:30 PM
FF3

fluff
09-05-2005, 07:20 PM
First Tier:

Fallout (1 and 2)
SW: KOTOR
Baldur's Gate (1, 2 and expansions)
Ultima (particularly all of VII)
Morrowind
Diablo
GTA: San Andreas (maybe not a traditional RPG)

Also very good (but some may be dated):

Arcanum
Betrayal at Krondor
System Shock
Might and Magic (particularly II)
Daggerfall
Hero's Quest (So you want to be a Hero?)

Jack of Arcades
09-05-2005, 08:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Jack of Arcades
09-05-2005, 08:18 PM
The only FF that deserves to be on this list is VI. OK, maybe I'll accept VII and X.

Zoelef
09-05-2005, 10:24 PM
*ahem* (http://www.geocities.jp/sikamako2002/sf6i.html)

Well, you've probably all seen that one by now, but I firmly maintain those remixed battle themes kick ass.

Anyway, I vote for the holy trinity of SNES goodness: Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy VI, and Seiken Densetsu III.

Kanchi
09-05-2005, 10:26 PM
Chrono Trigger hands down.

dankhank
09-05-2005, 10:42 PM
always had a thing for phantasy star 2

technologic
09-05-2005, 10:50 PM
as a stories ffvii and ffx were good. however, gameplay wise, ffvii didn't show too much variety between characters, and ffx was too linear/not enough exploration, etc.

that's why my vote will go to ffvi (ultimate in specialization, kefka's tower preparations is an example) and chrono trigger (multiple endings, massive exploration)

technologic
09-05-2005, 10:51 PM
another great one was lunar silver star story complete.

Duece Three
09-08-2005, 03:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
No mention of Morrowind yet? Seems to be the only game that really nailed the roleplaying aspect.

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/shocked.gif I was starting to get worried...

Any other XBox fans care to add Fable or KOTOR?

Phoenix1010
09-09-2005, 04:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/shocked.gif I was starting to get worried...

Any other XBox fans care to add Fable or KOTOR?

[/ QUOTE ]

Fable was one of the most disappointing games ever. KOTOR should be near the top of the list IMO. Morrowind is great. It's just too big. I just keep giving up on it because I inevitably get sidetracked and lose interest in it. It's undoubtedly a great game though.

Jack of Arcades
09-09-2005, 04:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
as a stories ffvii and ffx were good. however, gameplay wise, ffvii didn't show too much variety between characters, and ffx was too linear/not enough exploration, etc.

that's why my vote will go to ffvi (ultimate in specialization, kefka's tower preparations is an example) and chrono trigger (multiple endings, massive exploration)

[/ QUOTE ]

imo, FFX is probably the most strategic of any of the "mainstream" RPGs

JackWilson
09-09-2005, 10:07 AM
If it's allowed under this category, Deus Ex is the best by a bit over Final Fantasy VII.

The rest (in no particular order)
Fallout
Morrowind
Chrono Trigger
Baldur's Gate II (the original was a bit too short)
Diablo II
Pokemon Blue/Red GB (for pure addictive gameplay, much like Diablo II)
Ultima VII
Final Fantasy VI
Knights of the Old Republic

evil_twin
09-09-2005, 10:12 AM
Nethack (http://www.nethack.org).

Ultima VII if you can't handle the Nethack text. Anyone coming up with something very recent is wrong, they may be good games, but they didn't blaze the trail.

evil_twin
09-09-2005, 10:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Fable was one of the most disappointing games ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

Was it really? Molyneux did his usual job of talking a whole load of bollocks beforehand, perhaps your bought into the hype?

Fable was pretty flawed I admit, however it did succeed in taking a fresh look at the action/adventure game IMO.

Phoenix1010
09-09-2005, 10:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Fable was one of the most disappointing games ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

Was it really? Molyneux did his usual job of talking a whole load of bollocks beforehand, perhaps your bought into the hype?

Fable was pretty flawed I admit, however it did succeed in taking a fresh look at the action/adventure game IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

I couldn't help buying into the hype. He had everyone saying it was going to be the best game of all time, years before it was released. It had some great ideas, and nice production values, but the developers just bit off way more than they could chew. Too short, too easy, too underdeveloped. Still an 8, but I was expecting a 10. I just hope they try again and do it right, because I agree that it was a really nice take on the genre.

Clarkmeister
09-09-2005, 11:23 AM
How hard is it to search OOT for "+best +video +game", or "+best +rpg" before posting?

NutzyClutz
09-10-2005, 12:17 PM
#1 Planescape: Torment
Dungeon Master -first PC RPG game with sound
Ultima III, Bards Tale

TimTimSalabim
09-10-2005, 02:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How hard is it to search OOT for "+best +video +game", or "+best +rpg" before posting?

[/ QUOTE ]

This thread obviously generated interest, so who cares if it's been done before? Get off your high horse, it's getting annoying.

chiachu
09-10-2005, 07:10 PM
FF VI (or III US) not even close as far as im concerned /images/graemlins/smile.gif

granted i havent played as many rpgs as it looks like most people here have...

2+2 wannabe
09-10-2005, 07:14 PM
earthbound kicked ass

Clarkmeister
09-10-2005, 07:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This thread obviously generated interest, so who cares if it's been done before? Get off your high horse, it's getting annoying.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, I'll file your suggestion with my "who gives a crap" division.

Clarkmeister
09-10-2005, 07:50 PM
BTW, to elaborate, the issue is this. If one really cares what others' opinion is on something like this, or is trying to genuinely find suggestions, they'll search. If one is just trying to put up posts, start a thread and get the joy of people responding to them, they'll just start whatever floats their boat simply to get a response. Plus, there are people who don't know how to use the search function and they may genuinely be glad to have someone show them how to search.