PDA

View Full Version : Viewing an apartment

1800GAMBLER
09-04-2005, 03:47 PM
I'm going to be viewing a few apartments to rent for the next 9 months in leeds. I've never done this. So.

What do i look for?

What questions should i ask?

How long does this usually take?

Anything else?

I can just imagine myself going in, saying it looks pretty testing the bed is comfortable to [censored] on, then leaving.

Here are two i shall be viewing:

one. (http://www.citybaselettings.com/default.asp?contentid=118)

two (http://www.citybaselettings.com/default.asp?contentid=129)

RacersEdge
09-04-2005, 03:49 PM
I'd ask if I could get a new bed.

PorscheNGuns
09-04-2005, 03:50 PM
The only thing you need to be worried about is whether or not your neighbors can hear your nightly jerk off.

-Matt

1800GAMBLER
09-04-2005, 03:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The only thing you need to be worried about is whether or not your neighbors can hear your nightly jerk off.

-Matt

[/ QUOTE ]

I can always count on someone from OOT to not only be none informative but also not funny. Way to go, you were the one this time.

KaneKungFu123
09-04-2005, 03:56 PM
ask them to lower the price.

then ask them to lower the price if you pay 9mo in cash.

make sure you get an apartment with a window. my old apartment was in the middle of the building and had no window and it really sucked.

checkout the fire escape route and make sure it doesnt suck balls.

flush the toliet. run the shower.

DaveKForty7
09-04-2005, 03:57 PM
Have all the apartments you've looked at so far come fully furnished? I've never seen that before, but then again I haven't looked at that many appartments.

KaneKungFu123
09-04-2005, 04:00 PM
are you renting a furnished apartment or is that just for advertising? they seem to be shooting the 'stylish' angle.

1800GAMBLER
09-04-2005, 04:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]

then ask them to lower the price if you pay 9mo in cash.

[/ QUOTE ]

Also, i was meant to ask. At the viewing it seems i'm going to be going around with a letting agent and not the landlord? Does this mean i wont be under review? I'm sure somewhere along the lines someone will ask what i do and when i say professional gambler it isn't going to go down well, which was going to be the point at which i'd meantion i'd pay upfront, but that doesn't work well if i'm trying to get it cheaper.

Also, i suck balls at asking 'can i get it cheaper?' tips again? heh.

1800GAMBLER
09-04-2005, 04:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
are you renting a furnished apartment or is that just for advertising? they seem to be shooting the 'stylish' angle.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm planning on being there for less than 9 months so getting a furnished apartments makes sense since my current place is with my folks, in Manchester.

KaneKungFu123
09-04-2005, 04:19 PM
a 'letting agent'? im a little confused but guessing that this apartment is individually owned and not owned by the building itself?

i really dont think they'll bust your balls too much about your job when its only a studio apartment. if you have to name a job, dont say poker. mention you run a website.
cant you just say that you are a student?

"well, i saw another apartment yesterday and that one was for X money..."

sam h
09-04-2005, 04:44 PM
Make sure the shower and toilet work well. Check to see if it will be really noisy outside on the street. Get clear who pays for each utility. Tell them you aren't going to have big parties but ask whether its ok to have a late dinner party or something to test the waters. Ask generally about the other tenants in the building. Take a look at the security downstairs if that's an issue in the neighborhood. Make sure the building manager or landlord doesn't live next to you or directly above/below as that will be a pain in the ass. Since you are getting a furnished place, it is also really important to take a look at all the furniture and appliances and see if anything is stained/chipped/broken/etc and get them to make an official note of that, so that they don't blame it on you later and take it out of your security deposit.

Los Feliz Slim
09-04-2005, 05:03 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">Svar på:</font><hr />
I can just imagine myself going in, saying it looks pretty testing the bed is comfortable to [censored] on, then leaving.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, pretty much. This isn't rocket science. I've rented apartments I've never seen before because it was where I needed it to be and I could afford it. You don't need to be giving anyone a colonoscopy over this.

smokingrobot
09-04-2005, 05:15 PM
inquire about your neighbors. the first place i lived, my neighbors would acuse me of "having a party" whenever i would be doing anything like wathcing a movie beyond 9:30pm any day of the week.

make sure you're within a good walking distance to necessities like a grocery store.

ask about utilities, what are you responsible for? what do they run you?

if you pay a year in advance up front, ask if they'll take off 50 a month or 25 a month and give them that figure.

if you really want to stay a while, inquire about a 2 year lease, sometimes this is beneficial, and then go with the same "i'll pay a year upfront"

if you dont got the dough to do it, then forget about it and just bite the bullet.

ask about utility bills, what do they average?

laundry services?
appliances look all new, so no worries there.

plumbing, heating, etc... how's it go?

how's the shower pressure?

have you hung out in that neighborhood before, do you know what its like? will you feel at home, or will you feel out of place?

i lived in an area that didnt fit me at all and although it was a nice area, i felt out of place.

how about internet? you'll need that wont you?

EDIT:

just saw for 9 months thing, just change everything that says 1 yr to 9 months and forget about any 2 year lease options.

smokingrobot
09-04-2005, 05:19 PM
Just say this:

"I want to sign a 1 year lease, but I am able to make the full payment in advance..."

(so take place #2 at 600/mo = 7200/yr, 550/mo = 6600/yr)

"...so how about 6600 up front, you'll never have to worry about monthly payments."

if they dont bite, then go with 575/mo, or 6900 yr.

if you really wanna stay there a while, tell them you would be willing to sign a 2 year lease, with the first year up front. if not, then forget about that option.

also say you're not a bothersome tenant. you wont be in your landlord's hair every other day asking about the drain or this or that.

if you run into a repair problem, im sure you can find someone on here who knows what to do, if not, then go see the landlord.

landlord's dont want annoying tenants in the same way you dont want an annoying landlord.

1800GAMBLER
09-04-2005, 05:25 PM
Alright. Thanks to everyone. I think i'll be a geek and take a checklist and note pad. I have about 10 places bookmarked thus far, the gf will narrow them down some and then i'll view them all with reportings back.

smokingrobot
09-04-2005, 05:26 PM
gl and congrats.

Lestat
09-04-2005, 11:31 PM
Why do you have to say what you do for a living? Just put down self-employed and yearly/monthly income. If your credit check comes in clean, you should have no problem. I don't dwell on what people's occupations are, but...

The reason I said I wouldn't rent to a poker player, is because being a professional player myself, I know that most poker pros don't make it! Being a professional doesn't pay the rent. You have to be uh, good and win. I know quite a few people who went pro and never made enough money. Of the percentage who do win, most are disillusioned about how much they can make. They underestimate SD, etc., and eventually bust out.

Now from reading your posts, I'm pretty sure you know what you're doing. Hopefully you're kidding and this won't be an issue for you. gl

1800GAMBLER
09-05-2005, 12:31 AM
I think it will end up in convo. I'll say self employed but after that i'm expecting to be asked to show tax returns for the past years, at which point i will have to meantion it's as a professional poker player, if he hates that idea i think i'll go with a 6 month upfront payment but i've been highly advised against that.

Thanks everyone for all the help. This should be an interesting time for me, moving to a new city in which i know &lt;5 people and living with the gf.

partygirluk
09-05-2005, 05:22 AM
Jay,

why are you moving to Leeds?

1800GAMBLER
09-05-2005, 11:10 AM
Mixture of a lot, all my friends back here are moving on so oour group of friends is getting rapidly smaller and smaller, some getting houses with gfs, some getting jobs and having to move and some just being totally under the thumb so we don't see them anymore. Plus, i spent the summer with the girlfriend had a great time and now she'd be back at leeds uni, i'd be home and we'd go back to a 2 days/week long distance relationship again that neither of us want. Lastly, moving out from my folks place is something i should have done ages ago. Oh yea, and i'll be in leeds un next sept.

It's a one hour drive back to here so i think i'll spend most weekends here to meet up with friends, since i really don't want to lose contact. The only part that sucks is knowning no one in leeds, i might be geeky enough and go one of those new2leeds meetings, ha, or just join a few sports clubs.

partygirluk
09-05-2005, 11:33 AM
You could try joining a couple of leeds uni clubs. They will have a really wide range at such a big uni, surfing, hiking, chess, rock/indie, christian, conservatives etc. You should be able to find a couple you like.

1800GAMBLER
09-05-2005, 11:35 AM
It will only be next sept 'till i'm at the uni. Could i join those without being at the uni? ha.

partygirluk
09-05-2005, 11:40 AM
Ye you can join them without being at the uni, almost certainly.

1800GAMBLER
09-05-2005, 11:49 AM
That is effing awesome news /images/graemlins/smile.gif I shall join scuba, snowboarding and squash, eff poker. TY TY TY.

beta1607
09-05-2005, 12:04 PM
I got a new apartment yesterday in the DC area, on the application when they asked for additional sources of income I put "internet consulting" for my poker winnings - it may be worth it to you to use a similar phrase because 'gambling' doesnt always look too good on a rental application.

Also - ask roughly how much utilites will be each month, if you have a balcony, washer dryer in unit or on the same floor,official pet policy and smoking policy for the building (even if you dont smoke or have pets)?