PDA

View Full Version : a KK river blocking bet.

wiggs73
09-04-2005, 01:48 PM
So one of the things I've been thinking about lately is when to use blocking bets. This is one move that I have never really used, but I think it's definitely worth studying and using when appropriate. Here's the hand. It's from a PP 20+2.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

MP2 (t635)
MP3 (t1580)
CO (t740)
Button (t1020)
SB (t575)
BB (t740)
UTG (t1155)
Hero (t705)
MP1 (t850)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with K/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t90</font>, MP1 calls t90, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Button calls t90, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>.

Flop: (t315) A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP1 checks, Button checks.

Turn: (t315) 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets t90</font>, Button folds, Hero calls t90.

River: (t495) 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t100</font>, MP1 calls t100.

Final Pot: t695

This is a move that I haven't really used much before, so thoughts on all streets, but especially the river, are appreciated.

bluefeet
09-04-2005, 03:06 PM
I like it. With your disinterest in flop+turn, you could have been facing a very tough river decision (well, still could have if he pushed over here - but doubtful with the fear of you sleeping on an Ace).

I think the street you missed was the turn. A modest check/raise here would set you up even better IMO. Button had already gotten out of the way...MP is taking a "stab" with your inactivity on the flop. I'm guessing you could sell the slowed-ace here with a c/r. Leading on the turn would also have been better than checking. Sure, you want to put one of the PF callers on an Ace, but you have to test the waters with KK IMO. The turn was the time to either get off the hand to a raise, or take it down yourself.

wiggs73
09-04-2005, 03:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
With your disinterest in flop+turn, you could have been facing a very tough river decision (well, still could have if he pushed over here - but doubtful with the fear of you sleeping on an Ace).

[/ QUOTE ]

I was planning on folding to a raise on the river. I bet the river because I didn't want to give him a chance to bluff me off the best hand. With my actions up until then, I didn't think he could raise with a hand that I had beat. I also thought it would extract the maximum value from a hand like QQ or lower.

bluefeet
09-04-2005, 03:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I was planning on folding to a raise on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

...as would have I.

Did you give thought for anything other than check/call on the turn? Even leading, I don't know that you would have put yourself into too big of a jam - with the flush draw on board, it would be likely he'd raise you off here with an Ace. Just curious...

wiggs73
09-04-2005, 03:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I was planning on folding to a raise on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

...as would have I.

Did you give thought for anything other than check/call on the turn? Even leading, I don't know that you would have put yourself into too big of a jam - with the flush draw on board, it would be likely he'd raise you off here with an Ace. Just curious...

[/ QUOTE ]

To make a meaningful check-raise on the turn, it would have taken a lot of my stack. I also (maybe wrongly) usually feel obligated to lead the next street after a check-raise and I couldn't really do that without committing my entire stack. I did give it some thought but I felt like calling and leading the river would be a cheaper way to get the same info from the villain and I think it also gets more chips from hands that I have beat.

Rickyroodido
09-04-2005, 03:57 PM
I would make it 120 preflop or, if its an aggressive table, limp/reraise. This way play becomes a little easier postflop, since you have bad position.

I like your play postflop however. On the flop your either beat or your ahead with small chances to get outdrawn. No problem to give a freecard. A flop bet would likely be smoothcalled by someone who doesnt believe you AND by an ace. So it doesnt make you wiser.

Good blocking bet on the river, if he had an ace you lost the minimum tnx to the flushboard.